Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TriApple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 16, 2011
The Touchbar reviews and the devices themselves seem like a legitimate step back... when Microsoft is finally moving forward...

In many ways I'm loving my MacBook Pro (non-touch bar 2016)... in many other ways I'm curious.

Davefevs

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2015
Bristol, UK
I'm about to get my first Mac. Excited. More so, after waiting 2 hours for my ageing Windows desktop to boot up following an update. All I wanted to do was take a back up of my old iPad to give to my daughter.

skids929

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2011
Reviews arent even bad

I agree...I didn't think they were that bad. Any of these laptops will tear ass compared to a Windows with a better spec. So booyah to anyone who says different. Overpriced, yes!! Awesome and better than ANYTHING Windows based? Hell yes!

StayPuft

Suspended
Mar 22, 2016
the reviews pushed me over the edge to stop ever reading any tech news that's not directly from Ars Technica
Try reading any tech review from Engadget. Goodness gracious they are terrible.

I find it funny that people think they are making any sort of meaningful life choice by "leaving Apple". Don't like? Don't buy. The end.
They kind of are when they've heavily invested in the Apple ecosystem for years. It's a pretty big change to move away from that.

Reactions: Sully

negatv1

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2005
MI
Quite a review. Hipster in various stages of being hipster during a day. Sitting in a coffee shop, sitting on the stoop of an overpriced dump of an apartment. Walking around with a $3000 machine in hand begging to get robbed. With a few moments of talking about emoji buttons.

Yeah, that was time well spent. :(
[doublepost=1479162545][/doublepost]
They kind of are when they've heavily invested in the Apple ecosystem for years. It's a pretty big change to move away from that.

I suppose the grandiose proclamations is where I find the humor. I understand change can be annoying.

Reactions: WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
You wording is silly. Leave Apple? like your an employee, or your getting a divorce?

Not buy a new Macbook Pro. Now that might make sense :D

The reviews have made me rethink getting a touchbar Macbook, i can tell you that. I will get the non-touch bar version. At least I'm certain i'll really like that.

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
Nope. Just solidified my decision to wait for the next version. There is nothing that is a deal breaker with these current computers (for my use). But they will be a lot better when there is broader usb-c support and when Apple can use even more efficient chips (and chipsets that natively support 4 usb-c ports without extra controllers) for better battery life. I still don't think the touchbar does anything for me but whatever keeps Apple from 'touchifying' all of macOS is good in my book.

Reactions: Capt T

marc55

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
"Reviews push anyone over the edge to leave Apple?"

Are you Crazy?

All I've got to say to those who want to leave, "Git Er Done"

A good percentage of those who leave will be crying on "whatever" product forum, and will end up coming back.

Reactions: Sidewolf

TriApple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 16, 2011
You wording is silly. Leave Apple? like your an employee, or your getting a divorce?

Not buy a new Macbook Pro. Now that might make sense :D

The reviews have made me rethink getting a touchbar Macbook, i can tell you that. I will get the non-touch bar version. At least I'm certain i'll really like that.

Sounds like you don't have as much invested in Apple as I do... 3 CarPlay cars, extensive use of HomeKit, 2 apple watches, 4 Apple Tvs (latest) 6 iPads in the house, a Mac mini, 2 MacBooks, and this MacBook Pro.

Switching ecosystems is quite an undertaking.. doesn't have to happen at once but need transitional services to replace if you leave.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
They solidified my decision to hold out and use my 2012 rMBP a little longer. If the situation isn't much better next year, I'll probably just switch back to PCs. Ideally with something that can be hackintoshed, but I can go back to Windows if I need to.

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
The reviews pushed me to buy the best laptop available that still runs Mac OS: the maxed out 2015 MBP 15" with M370X. About $2500 USD refurb in my currency, still a hefty price for 2 year old hardware but I have a feeling this will be remembered as the last great MBP, just like the Mac Mini 2012 which I also have.

If all things Apple has done recently is of any sign, my next desktop computer will be a hackintosh, or a fully decked out win10 box. This 2015 MBP can smooth out the transition for a few years down the road.

Sully

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2007
I'm coming from a very old 2007 MacBook Pro with upgraded RAM and an SSD required simply to run the last OS update. I'm actually limited as to what I can do on this computer and so anything will be a pretty significant upgrade for me, reviews notwithstanding.

I've looked hard at the XPS which is about $500 cheaper in my preferred configuration and the Surface Book, which costs about the same as a 15" rMBP but without quad core processor or the 4 gig dGPU. I want good build quality and decent customer service so I limited myself to these 3 manufacturers (unlike a lot of people here, I have great luck with Dell products and service in the past). Initially I liked the Razor Blades, but I read enough a few things about poor build quality and customer service to make me apprehensive.

In short, if I had a more modern machine, the reviews would make me wait. But, given my current situation, I'm all in on the 15 " model barring any bad quality control issues over the next 45 - 60 days.

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
Nope. Their hardware is best in the business. Windows PC are cheap AF in terms of build quality. Total crap comparatively. None have MacOS, of course either.

skids929

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2011
I'm coming from a very old 2007 MacBook Pro with upgraded RAM and an SSD required simply to run the last OS update. I'm actually limited as to what I can do on this computer and so anything will be a pretty significant upgrade for me, reviews notwithstanding.

I've looked hard at the XPS which is about $500 cheaper in my preferred configuration and the Surface Book, which costs about the same as a 15" rMBP but without quad core processor or the 4 gig dGPU. I want good build quality and decent customer service so I limited myself to these 3 manufacturers (unlike a lot of people here, I have great luck with Dell products and service in the past). Initially I liked the Razor Blades, but I read enough a few things about poor build quality and customer service to make me apprehensive.

In short, if I had a more modern machine, the reviews would make me wait. But, given my current situation, I'm all in on the 15 " model barring any bad quality control issues over the next 45 - 60 days.

Not that I want to see anyone go Windows..But have you looked at the Lenovo Yoga? I am on one right now that we bought for our kids for christmas and I gotta say I am really impressed with it. Great little laptop, awesome form factor. With that said I can't wait to get my 2016 MBP 15

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
The Touchbar reviews and the devices themselves seem like a legitimate step back... when Microsoft is finally moving forward...

In many ways I'm loving my MacBook Pro (non-touch bar 2016)... in many other ways I'm curious.

It's all a matter of perspective. Why are you people so obsessed with "leaving Apple"?

No, I don't think reviews pushed anyone to leave Apple. Those that wanted to leave, didn't really need reviews - most of them were pretty lousy and told us what we know.

For me, I don't see how Microsoft is moving more forward than Apple, if I don't count all the parlor tricks with Surface machines. Please, I don't want to go into an argument - I can see by your post you disagree and fine - it's good that we have options! But you did ask - so my answer is no, I am not leaving Apple, I like what I see :) And I don't think this is a step back.

Reactions: skids929

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
Nope. Their hardware is best in the business. Windows PC are cheap AF in terms of build quality. Total crap comparatively. None have MacOS, of course either.

100% right, plus people shouldn't forget the massive resale value of a Mac when they are ready to upgrade. You'll be lucky to get enough money selling an old Dell or HP laptop to buy a candy bar.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Whatever happened to not allowing other people to do your thinking for you? Whatever happened to researching the product, hands on testing, and then making an informed consumer decision?

In my opinion, if some here rely on the reviews of others to dictate what they do, they have a lot more problems to work through, than whether or not to buy a Mac.

skids929

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2011
Whatever happened to not allowing other people to do your thinking for you? Whatever happened to researching the product, hands on testing, and then making an informed consumer decision?

In my opinion, if some here rely on the reviews of others to dictate what they do, they have a lot more problems to work through, than whether or not to buy a Mac.

Well said, very well said and very true. I make my decision based on VERY informed decisions, and I like reviews for what they are. They help you weigh lots of other opinions and see if you agree or disagree.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.