Reviews were ok, but most really missed the point.

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by betabeta, Apr 8, 2015.

1. betabeta macrumors 6502a

I liked how some reviews seemed annoyed by the notifications, so I guess having your phone buzz or ring is much better?

And you couldn't just wait until your done talking to look at your watch!? But now it's like a pain, and you just can't resist to check while right in the middle of talking? So first world complaining.

Just wait to look at your wrist!!!

Once you dial in a perfect amount of important notifications I know whithout out even having one it will be better, and if I'm talking to someone, I'll wait to check like I always have with my phone or if I'm not talking just glance to be sure it's not an emergency.

Plus!! I actually hate it more when someone's phone rings and rings in their purse or pocket, I have to say are you going to answer that? With the watch they can quickly glance and click I'll call you back.

The reviews were ok, I want to know about the lag and of course there are downfalls with all tech, but I didn't here much about how this could actually make things better in many ways.

Some reviews were just not helpful in showing all the positives along with the negatives, and how you could actually be less rude with the watch over just having a phone.

2. cwosigns macrumors 65816

cwosigns

I noticed the same thing. Having a smartwatch doesn't instantly make someone more courteous. But it does enable one to become more courteous after taking the time to adjust their notification settings.

3. Multiverse223 macrumors regular

The reviews simply showed how ignorant reviewers are, which is common for reviews.

4. sterl320 macrumors 6502

and very very rushed they are as well.

5. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I agree, and feel many today are just dam rude.

If I was to go out, spending an evening, perhaps out with close friends or round their house, how about turning the dam phone off even.

Can't your life exist for a few hours without a phone on you.
    Concentrate on the people you are with in real life.

6. Ceviche Lover macrumors regular

You sound like Steve Jobs

"you didnt review it right"

they all pretty much came to the same conclusion, and they have actually used the device unlike you so i will trust them

7. Pinksteady macrumors 6502a

Pinksteady

I can't help but think some people are bashing the reviews because they aren't praising the watch as an amazing product we should all be desperate to own.

I found most of the reviews quite interesting and useful, many showing me aspects I hadn't thought about, hadn't seen, or didn't know, which have helped me inform my buying decision - isn't that what a review is for?

8. Lucifer666 macrumors 6502a

Main takeaways

1) better than expected battery life
    2) learning curve
    3) Reviewers sounded unsure about it (makes sense)

Which makes it hard for them to recommend it.

9. betabeta thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah I didn't bash the reviews at all, just that they missed the entire point Apple was and is trying to promote. The reviews were ok and had some useful info, like the lag we didn't know about or Siri issues.

In the video reviews I watched none of them really stated this could really be less intrusive if you're not just rude#.

For one when your phone rings it's really a catch 22, you don't answer your rude of course and people think, will you just answer that dang phone! Or you go to answer it and your rude for doing that.

The watch can allow you to be much less rude now, more subtle, and some reviews tried to focus on just how horribly rude you could be. Like wouldn't you be more rude if your phone rang and you had to get it out? And how fast can you do that? The watch will be way faster.

Needed to show that side.

10. bjdraw macrumors 6502a

I found the reviews I've read helpful and none have deferred me from planning on buying an  Watch. Everything they complained about was fair and something I fully expect Apple to fix in time.

11. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

My main problem is that a lot of the reviewers identified problems with smartwatches as a category. They don't see the need for them, I don't care about that when it comes to the review of a particular watch. If you want to write an article about smartwatches in general go ahead but I want to know if the apple watch does what is expected of it and does it well. I really don't care if a reviewer sees the point or not.

12. Seannyb macrumors member

Seannyb

Absolutely! That moron from The Verge made it seem like you would get shot if you didn't look down at your watch as soon as you were notified. "Here's another text from my bitch wife, I must look at it immediately even though I am in the middle of a conversation". How dumb is that?

Also, that stupid woman from the WSJ was all annoyed that she was being waken up from her watch? "Stupid thing, turn off!" Made it seem like it's Apple's fault that it is time for her to get out of bed. Really?

13. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I'm not sure how valid your points are.

Notifications are much more integral to the watch than they are with the phone. One of the main features of the watch is that is shows you notifications, and if that is perceived to be annoying, then it's a fault. A fault with the watch? With the OS? With the user? Nobody knows, but you can't just say 'surely it's less annoying than a phone buzzing'. You haven't used it, I haven't used it, but just because the one person who has used it disagrees with you doesn't make his complaint invalid.

Along the same lines, a tap on the wrist is much more intrusive than a buzz in your back pocket, and naturally demands your attention more urgently - or, at least, it seems to be demanding it more urgently to some people. A part of the problem is our culture, and how looking at your wrist while with someone isn't really socially acceptable. But, again, it's a valid point and something we may not be acclimatised to when we first get the watch.

I don't really see how I could 'quickly glance and click I'll call you back' either without looking like you're flat out ignoring the person you're with.

I'm more than happy to be proved wrong. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of the watch - I'll be preordering at 8:01am Friday - just I don't think it's fair to criticise someone just because they have a different opinion to you. Wait until you've used it for a week, then let us know.

A large part of the problem I think isn't the watch - it's us. Smartwatches, occasionally by design, occasionally by accident, change our habits and oppose the social conventions which have been in place for decades. Even if the Apple Watch has the perfect software and the perfect hardware, will it manage to change what we've been doing, what we've been thinking is acceptable or not for as long as most of us can remember?

14. Pooshka macrumors 65816

How can I trust those "reviewers" when they can't even attach bands correctly?!

What a bunch of amateurs.

15. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

I am more than a little annoyed by the first impression being "it annoys me too much with notifications." I think we all knew that tailoring notifications was going to be a day one project to get it right for our personal needs. I'm not sure why that's the Watch's fault. Everyone is different.

16. McCool71 macrumors 6502a

I also found some of the reviews very odd. I have used a smart watch for about a year now, and not having to get your phone out of your pocket to read a text message or an e-mail, see who is calling or react to an alarm/timer or other types of notifications is truly one of the best features.

It should not take anyone more than a day or two to tailor the notifications to their own needs. Something that seems like a good notification might be annoying in the long run, but then you just turn it off of course. No real world problem at all.

17. technosix macrumors 6502a

I think initially for an undetermined period of time people with Apple Watch will be even more rude and obnoxious than the guy (any guy) that shouts into his phone. Especially the already self important narcissistic types.

Showing-Off will be a big part of the "Look_at_me" "See how cool I am" folks.

Talking into the watch acting important, it's no wonder some view Apple types as quite polarizing.

18. betabeta thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah it was odd, they really only wanted to show one side of how you "could" use it and be just as rude as you may have been with a phone. Actually there are tons of ways it will make things less rude. they didn't go over that.

How many of us have been in a situation were your phone rings and you fumble to just stop the dang thing from ringing:D The watch will make it less rude if your not already a rude person of course:p

The problem may be in Apple educating people on how to use it, and more importantly how to set it up right. I know many in my circles that will probably have no idea how to silence only certain messages, some don't even know how to use do not disturb or even how to set notifications on apps:confused:

19. Bengy66 macrumors regular

I agree with you however I personally look forward to a learning curve. For people who have been on the Apple bandwagon for sometime, a new OS is a welcome sight.

My big issue with the reviews is that it feels that the iPhone casts a shadow over the device. They use the iPhone as a benchmark instead of other smart watches, but we are 8 yrs into the iPhone and this is version 1 of the Watch.

20. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

The best reviews will be the ones that come out a week after the device is released. Watch blogs and general users.

21. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

Exactly. And moderate criticism we saw today from the overall we-have-to-be-nice-to-Apple-or-else reviewers is only a distant sound of the roaring tsunami that's approaching fast.

Mark my words, folks: it's not gonna be pretty. It's not gonna be pretty.

22. wchigo macrumors 6502

wchigo

In total agreement. While I can certainly understand some of their criticisms, like apps and data loading slowly, the whole notification/buzz thing is oddly strange. Even on my phone now, I curate my notifications quite heavily so the only things I get notified of are texts, WeChat messages (similar to Whatsapp) and emails. Granted, I'm not in a space where I get people tweeting at me or whatever but I find it just fine to have notifications for Twitter and Facebook off and checking them at my convenience, instead of having my Pebble buzz at me all the time.

Basically, the criticism of "always bugging me with notifications" applies to all smart watches and not just the Apple Watch if you decide to leave all notifications on, so the Pebble and Moto 360 and Android Wear are all just as guilty. To me, that's basically a wash then.

23. Multiverse223 macrumors regular

Yeah your two examples made me cringe when I was watching them. I could care less that they didn't like the watch, it's just embarrassing that these people are the ones given a watch to review. I'm being completely honest when I say that those reviewers seriously seem unintelligent and highly ignorant. I've not seen worse quality reviews...ever. The WSJ woman was the most annoying review I've ever watched. The watch wasn't what needed to shut the hell up, it was her. The video would have been a million times better if the entire time the only sound you heard was the watch alarm going off. I'd give anything to make her aware of how cringe worthy and horribly immature she was the entire video. I'd PAY to have a 10 year old kid review it on YouTube instead of her, they'd be far more mature and less annoying, not to mention actually give useful objective information, in stark contrast to what she did.

As for the Verge guy, it was horrible, and I didn't think there could be worse until I watched the WSJ review.

24. Peepo macrumors 6502a

Remember that the reviewers are spoiled and most get these for free. They are constantly trying out different hardware and are desensitized to a lot of it I think.

I hate how they are so smug and trying to tell us how we don't need or shouldn't pay too much money now and instead wait for 2nd or 3rd gen - while they get to walk around using it for the past week or so. Who do they think they are?

Nilay Patel's review was not very good. Go read Joshua Topolsky's - much better.

I am going to use the Apple Watch for its notifications for the most part. I am out and about all day doing service calls or onsite work and have to check/respond to emails and text notifications frequently. I hate having to pull my iPhone out of my pocket constantly.

I guess it's not as important for someone like Nilay, who is out for drinks with a woman while his wife is trying to text him!!!

25. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

The problem might be worse with the watch. When I go out with people they generally leave the phone in the pocket or bag on silent, the annoying people put it in front of them and look at the screen as messages pop up, so the Apple watch is going to allow these people to constantly check thier wrists.