Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nsimkins

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2005
Ohio, USA
Revised Mini

I bought a Mini last week and right after I ordered it, read this thread. (lol) I was pleasantly surprised to get one of the revised models.. the 1.5GHz, 80GB 5400rpm HD, and 64MB video. I bought the combo drive model.

My S/N starts with YM538XXXXXX

TodVader

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2005
Quebec, Canada
nsimkins said:
I bought a Mini last week and right after I ordered it, read this thread. (lol) I was pleasantly surprised to get one of the revised models.. the 1.5GHz, 80GB 5400rpm HD, and 64MB video. I bought the combo drive model.

My S/N starts with YM538XXXXXX

Where do you live?

I'm wondering if we Canadians receive the updated model. Ive got no computer because I sold my laptop to buy the mini and really want that 64mb or VRAM and faster HDD which will be perfect for my use of it.

Edit: After looking at your Location: ohio , I guess your american. I'm still wondering if canadians receive updated models.

nsimkins

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2005
Ohio, USA
TodVader said:
Where do you live?

I'm wondering if we Canadians receive the updated model. Ive got no computer because I sold my laptop to buy the mini and really want that 64mb or VRAM and faster HDD which will be perfect for my use of it.

Edit: After looking at your Location: ohio , I guess your american. I'm still wondering if canadians receive updated models.

Yes, USA. The Mini shipped from nearby Pennsylvania, which I don't know if that matters or not.

I'm also a "switcher" - so this is my first Mac. :)

TodVader

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2005
Quebec, Canada
nsimkins said:
Yes, USA. The Mini shipped from nearby Pennsylvania, which I don't know if that matters or not.

I'm also a "switcher" - so this is my first Mac. :)

This will be my first mac too. I hope they update it this week, Im starting to get jelous at everyone who receives the new ones :eek:

marsay

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2005
New Mini!

So after returning a 1.42 superdrive model mini a couple weeks ago, paying the restocking fee, and re-ordering another 1.42 superdrive in hopes of receiving the newly updated 1.5 superdrive model, I have succeeded. My new mini is packaged as a 1.42 with no hints of the upgrades on the box. It has the 1.5ghz processor, 64mb video memory, a 5400rpm hard drive (which makes a HUGE difference), and the dual layer superdrive. I just wanted to let everyone know that my "gamble" paid off, even though my new mini cost me an extra $69 (with the re-stocking fee). But was it worth it? Absolutely. The faster hard drive makes a big difference. It is MUCH quiter than the 4200 and gets rid of that annoying sluggishness. I can only imagine that the slightly faster processor and upgraded vram will help out too, but time will tell. Does anyone know how to tell if the bluetooth is upgraded? My machine has version 1.6.3f2 ?? Good luck to everyone ordering a new mini. I hope you all get the updated machnes!

obeythelaw

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2005
marsay said:
So after returning a 1.42 superdrive model mini a couple weeks ago, paying the restocking fee, and re-ordering another 1.42 superdrive in hopes of receiving the newly updated 1.5 superdrive model, I have succeeded.

did you order directly from Apple? I really want a Mac Mini but don't want to just walk into an Apple store and pick one up not knowing for sure that I will or will not get the updated specs. Those are some really nice specs. The 64 MB of VRAM and 5400 rpm drives are really nice. I'm wondering how much longer i should hold out or take my chances?

ack_mac

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2005
Northern VA (DC)
marsay said:
So after returning a 1.42 superdrive model mini a couple weeks ago, paying the restocking fee, and re-ordering another 1.42 superdrive in hopes of receiving the newly updated 1.5 superdrive model, I have succeeded. My new mini is packaged as a 1.42 with no hints of the upgrades on the box. It has the 1.5ghz processor, 64mb video memory, a 5400rpm hard drive (which makes a HUGE difference), and the dual layer superdrive. I just wanted to let everyone know that my "gamble" paid off, even though my new mini cost me an extra $69 (with the re-stocking fee). But was it worth it? Absolutely. The faster hard drive makes a big difference. It is MUCH quiter than the 4200 and gets rid of that annoying sluggishness. I can only imagine that the slightly faster processor and upgraded vram will help out too, but time will tell. Does anyone know how to tell if the bluetooth is upgraded? My machine has version 1.6.3f2 ?? Good luck to everyone ordering a new mini. I hope you all get the updated machnes!
Congrats! I am sooo want to order one online right now, but I am going to wait until they either announce it, or if they don't, will order on Wednesday evening.. Man, I'll bet that is a sweet machine you got there....

marsay

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2005
obeythelaw said:
did you order directly from Apple? I really want a Mac Mini but don't want to just walk into an Apple store and pick one up not knowing for sure that I will or will not get the updated specs. Those are some really nice specs. The 64 MB of VRAM and 5400 rpm drives are really nice. I'm wondering how much longer i should hold out or take my chances?
The information that I had received from the apple sales represntative appears to be true. Order your mini online (online orders get the latest hardware while the stores can sometimes have older product), and to INSURE that you get the newest technology, custom configure your machine. Add some RAM (the mini can use it) or do what I did and just add something inexpensive, like a modem ($29). That way, your machine won't be built until you place your order, and there is no way you could get old stock. Seems to work :)

obeythelaw

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2005
marsay said:
The information that I had received from the apple sales represntative appears to be true. Order your mini online (online orders get the latest hardware while the stores can sometimes have older product), and to INSURE that you get the newest technology, custom configure your machine. Add some RAM (the mini can use it) or do what I did and just add something inexpensive, like a modem ($29). That way, your machine won't be built until you place your order, and there is no way you could get old stock. Seems to work :)

sounds logical. i will give it a try on wednesday after the big announcement that is supposed to come out. maybe video ipod? anyway, i will place the order then and post back what i get.

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
The real sweet deal will happen when the 1.5's get released and they mark the 1.42's down... and there's really a 1.5 in the box, hell yeh! That's when I'll order mine... uhuh.

:D

ack_mac

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2005
Northern VA (DC)
cr2sh said:
The real sweet deal will happen when the 1.5's get released and they mark the 1.42's down... and there's really a 1.5 in the box, hell yeh! That's when I'll order mine... uhuh.

Then the real question will be (depending on if and how much they reduce the 1.42's) what is the better value... I myself, want the faster HD, and the improved superdrive...

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
cr2sh said:

I think that will be when you will get exactly the Mac mini that you have ordered and paid. Although with the delayed release Apple may not have many left to reduce the price.

obeythelaw

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2005
do people really think the minis with the 1.42 will be marked down? My guess is that they will get rid of the 1.25 and move the 1.42 down at 499. do you think they will give all of the minies the 5400 rpm drives and 64 VRAM? In the end I'll gladly pay 699 for the the mini with a 5400 rpm drive and 64 VRAM and a 1.5 G4 and 8x dual layer DVD burner. All i would have to do is buy more RAM to bump it up to a gig. :D I also would have to psych my self up to actually pry open the mini :eek:

garfield2002

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2003
Upgraded Mini from CompUSA - SN# YM537XXXXXX

Greetings all, I thought I'd add my mac mini experience to this thread. My wife and I decided to get a Mac Mini right around the time when the updated spec rumors started. We wanted the $599 mini as I thought buying an external burner would be a better and cheaper option. Plus I could use it with the other two laptops and PC desktop. Anyway, being a mac junkie, and having the green light to buy a new mac, but having to wait for the update was killing me. I'm sure many of you understand. My main reasons for waiting, the 5400rpm drive, and the video RAM, which I feel are significant upgrades for a basic machine.

Anyway, I live in the DC area and this past Sunday CompUSA was offering $100 off any in stock desktop or notebook instantly. I went in with no hope that the Apple products were included in the sale. But, I asked anyway and to my surprise the salesperson said "yes" absolutely. :) I then asked if they had any minis. I thought that a mid level mini for $499 would be a great deal even if it was the older model. The salesperson then informed me that they only had the superdrive mini left. Man, I was torn. At this point I wasn't sure if a $599 "old superdrive mini" was worth it. To buy me some time to think (it was a 12 hour sale) I asked to see the box. The salesperson came back with it, and I asked him if he knew about the updated minis. He said that he did not, but when questioned how old the mini was, he replied that it should be fairly recent. I didn't know about the mini serial numbers and the date at this point. Anyway, after talking with the manager about the specifics of the return policy, it appears that CompUSA allows 21 days satisfaction, and since the mini is considered a deaktop computer I could return it for a full refund with no restocking fee, provided "everything" was in the box. Despite their assurances I did not want to deal with actually having to return, knowing full well that the information may not be accurate. Well, with the other deal of 6 months same as cash (I'm a grad student) I decided to take the plunge and return the mini if I found it "too slow".

At the register, as I had feared, the mini didn't ring up with the $100 rebate. Fortunately I had the "new" cashier and because of this the only checkstand open quickly started to back up. This definitely worked in my favor becuase within a few minutes I had my salesperson, the head cashier, and finally the manager looking though the ad to see why the computer didn't have the rebate automatically removed. The manager told the cashier to just adjust the price and I got my mini for the $599 I was promised.

Okay, so I got the computer home and with the cute little box sitting and staring at me from the table I was again mortified to know if this was an updgraded mini. Just to inform those who were hoping to quickly test the mini at a store for its specs (I had considered doing this) removing the mini from all of the packaging makes it pretty much impossible to put it back in "like new" condition. So after it was out I hooked it up and started it up. To my surprise, relief, and delight it was an upgraded mini.

SN# - YM537XXXXXX
1.5 gHz G4
64MB Radeon 9200
80GB 5400rpm HD
and 8x DL Burner.
I didn't know how to test for the updated Bluetooth.

So it appears that week 37 production also has upgraded minis like the other poster who indicated his came from week 38. Sorry for the long post, and thank you for reading this far, I just thought I'd share my experience. It's definitely something I would NEVER want to repeat. I sympathize with those in a similar situation as my end result could have been drastically different. It is for this reason that I wish Apple would just announced the update and get it over with. :)

ack_mac

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2005
Northern VA (DC)
garfield2002 said:
Greetings all, I thought I'd add my mac mini experience to this thread. My wife and I decided to get a Mac Mini right around the time when the updated spec rumors started. We wanted the $599 mini as I thought buying an external burner would be a better and cheaper option. Plus I could use it with the other two laptops and PC desktop. Anyway, being a mac junkie, and having the green light to buy a new mac, but having to wait for the update was killing me. I'm sure many of you understand. My main reasons for waiting, the 5400rpm drive, and the video RAM, which I feel are significant upgrades for a basic machine.

Anyway, I live in the DC area and this past Sunday CompUSA was offering $100 off any in stock desktop or notebook instantly. I went in with no hope that the Apple products were included in the sale. But, I asked anyway and to my surprise the salesperson said "yes" absolutely. :) I then asked if they had any minis. I thought that a mid level mini for $499 would be a great deal even if it was the older model. The salesperson then informed me that they only had the superdrive mini left. Man, I was torn. At this point I wasn't sure if a $599 "old superdrive mini" was worth it. To buy me some time to think (it was a 12 hour sale) I asked to see the box. The salesperson came back with it, and I asked him if he knew about the updated minis. He said that he did not, but when questioned how old the mini was, he replied that it should be fairly recent. I didn't know about the mini serial numbers and the date at this point. Anyway, after talking with the manager about the specifics of the return policy, it appears that CompUSA allows 21 days satisfaction, and since the mini is considered a deaktop computer I could return it for a full refund with no restocking fee, provided "everything" was in the box. Despite their assurances I did not want to deal with actually having to return, knowing full well that the information may not be accurate. Well, with the other deal of 6 months same as cash (I'm a grad student) I decided to take the plunge and return the mini if I found it "too slow".

At the register, as I had feared, the mini didn't ring up with the $100 rebate. Fortunately I had the "new" cashier and because of this the only checkstand open quickly started to back up. This definitely worked in my favor becuase within a few minutes I had my salesperson, the head cashier, and finally the manager looking though the ad to see why the computer didn't have the rebate automatically removed. The manager told the cashier to just adjust the price and I got my mini for the $599 I was promised.

Okay, so I got the computer home and with the cute little box sitting and staring at me from the table I was again mortified to know if this was an updgraded mini. Just to inform those who were hoping to quickly test the mini at a store for its specs (I had considered doing this) removing the mini from all of the packaging makes it pretty much impossible to put it back in "like new" condition. So after it was out I hooked it up and started it up. To my surprise, relief, and delight it was an upgraded mini.

SN# - YM537XXXXXX
1.5 gHz G4
64MB Radeon 9200
80GB 5400rpm HD
and 8x DL Burner.
I didn't know how to test for the updated Bluetooth.

So it appears that week 37 production also has upgraded minis like the other poster who indicated his came from week 38. Sorry for the long post, and thank you for reading this far, I just thought I'd share my experience. It's definitely something I would NEVER want to repeat. I sympathize with those in a similar situation as my end result could have been drastically different. It is for this reason that I wish Apple would just announced the update and get it over with. :)

That was a steal :D I live in DC as well (Alexandria) and thought for sure that CompUSA would only have the old models.. Sounds to me like Apple is flying through the old stock.. You really did awesome getting the top of the line new mini for only $599.. I will still have to pay $650 with my corporate discount.. Congrats :)

I guess I am still waiting until at least Wednesday afternoon. If they do not officially announce the mini by then I am ordering one online BTO (I really want 1GB of ram)...

Wizard51

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2005
garfield2002 said:
So it appears that week 37 production also has upgraded minis like the other poster who indicated his came from week 38.

Unfortunately... not all week 37 system were created equal. I also "had" a week 37 mini (built to order even) and it was the older specs. Serial number was YM53702STZ1. It was recently returned while I patiently await the official announcement.

While I wish Apple would just announce it so I can get on with ordering my replacement I used to run a PC manufacturing facility and understand the difficulties in getting all the parts lined up to make a mass change to the new stuff. We forget that there are plenty of mini buyers out there who are not reading these forums and rumor sights who are just as happy as they can be with their new 1.42, etc mini and may never know the difference.

obeythelaw

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2005
Reading these posts, makes me grow even more impatient :D
It's a little disconcerting that the serial numbers aren't a true indication of what you could get. Keeping my fingers crossed for tomorrow's announcements.

gravitysux

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2005
Melbourne, Aus.
...I crumbled. On the weekend I bought a recon G5 imac instead of waiting for a new mini. It was from an Applestore, so no-ones hurt, I get a new machine (at about twice what I anticipated for a mini, but great specs), Apple unloads old stock, my wallet shrivels and dies. Kudos to all you 'waiters' - I just couldn't hang on. But it streets my old mac in cinebench, anyone run tests on the new 1.5 yet?

super mini (mac

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2005
UK, ENGLAND
gravitysux said:
...I crumbled. On the weekend I bought a recon G5 imac instead of waiting for a new mini. It was from an Applestore, so no-ones hurt, I get a new machine (at about twice what I anticipated for a mini, but great specs), Apple unloads old stock, my wallet shrivels and dies. Kudos to all you 'waiters' - I just couldn't hang on. But it streets my old mac in cinebench, anyone run tests on the new 1.5 yet?

i didnt know you could buy recons at a apple shop, i tohguht they were only at the online store only:confused:

and is there a serial number (in the uk) where a batch and onwards has any updates, ie the 1.5ghz processor or the 64meg graphics card that some mini users have claimed to have recieved.

Panu

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2005
Virginia suburbs of DC
ColoJohnBoy said:
Here's to hoping, but I'm incredibly doubtful that Apple would do this without hint or mention to the customer.

Oh, yes they do this.

I bought a defective iMac back in early 2005, back when they came with 215MB of memory. A month later, the Apple store swapped it for a new one. I purchased a 512MB memory upgrade and expected to see the total memory as 768MB, but it was 1GB! They explained that the iMac had changed and that the stock configuration had 512MB of memory.

However, they still advertised that the iMac came with 256MB.

A couple months later, Apple came out with a new version of the iMac with 512MB of memory.

So yes, Apple does minor incremental upgrades without advertising them. I wonder if the machines are constantly being upgraded and that Apple advertises a new version when the upgrades add up to a significant change over what had been advertised.

Piarco

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
Londinium
i've recently bought a second hand Mac Mini for a friend of a work colleague and it was the upgraded 1.5ghz/64MB VRAM model... but it wasn't always!

Originally it was 1.42ghz/32MB VRAM SD model, but apparantly the motherboard failed and was taken in for repair. When the previous owner got it back and switched on he was pleasently surprised to see they'd seen fit to drop in the 1.5ghz/64MB mobo!

And now I'm reaping the benefits :D

chillywilly

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2005
Salt Lake City
Nice. That's pretty cool to get a minor upgrade. I mean, that makes sense if it's going to be repaired since Apple most likely has newer motherboards as replacement parts.

gunm

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2006
HI
Piarco75 said:
i've recently bought a second hand Mac Mini for a friend of a work colleague and it was the upgraded 1.5ghz/64MB VRAM model... but it wasn't always!

Originally it was 1.42ghz/32MB VRAM SD model, but apparantly the motherboard failed and was taken in for repair. When the previous owner got it back and switched on he was pleasently surprised to see they'd seen fit to drop in the 1.5ghz/64MB mobo!

And now I'm reaping the benefits :D

If was under warranty, Apple probably just switched out the whole computer completely with a new one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.