Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lunja

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2005
Lincoln UK
I'm just wondering what non-uk nationals think of the podcast - does it make us brits seem a bit... well, odd? :)

It's a fantastic podcast though, and deserves it's number one status, although I must say I'm suprised it's so popular all over the world. Have other countries seen the UK version of The Office?

pknz

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
Yep, here in NZ we have seen the UK series. Its great podcast is is great too. It just makes Mancs more laughable.:p

geese

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2003
London, UK
The one thing that struck me when listening to the Riicky Gervais archives on the XFM website here: http://www.xfm.co.uk/sectional.asp?id=4604 is that Karl didnt sound as stupid as he does now. In season 1 of the shows (back in 2002- you;ve got to dig around a little for the early ones).

He said some daft things (the GCSE exam results revelation is particularly brilliant) but he was more articulate. He didn't sound quite so much like a divvy.

Which makes me think- he's either exaggerating his stupidity or he is actually getting stupid. Yet he *was* the head of production at XFM, so he cant be that thick.

Anyways, do check out the archives. Annoyingly, they are in Windows media format whcih seems to stream in that stupid XFM player. Even worse, each show is broken up into little 5 minute segments. Still worth it though.

mjacobi

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2006
Music City USA
I appreciate the link to the XFM files, but I am hoping someone can help me out with the RGS podcasts #1-4. Guardian deletes them after 4 weeks, and I just discovered podcasting and when I subscribed I only had access to #5-9.

Cheers, Michael
michael@spidershoppe.com

mjacobi

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2006
Music City USA
Lunja said:
I'm just wondering what non-uk nationals think of the podcast - does it make us brits seem a bit... well, odd? :)

Aren't you odd? ;) I grew up with Brit humor and it remains my favorite. In my teens I didn't miss Python, Dave Allen, Two Ronnies, etc., later Fawlty Towers, which I still consider the best 12 episodes of television ever. The only Brit comedy I didn't like was Benny Hill. As an adult I have enjoyed everything from Young Ones to Ab Fab to Graham Norton and consider both The Office and Coupling absolutely brilliant. I have yet to see Extras. I don't have live "telly" (i.e., cable) and watch everything when it comes out on DVD.

Cheers, Michael

geese

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2003
London, UK
mjacobi said:
I appreciate the link to the XFM files, but I am hoping someone can help me out with the RGS podcasts #1-4. Guardian deletes them after 4 weeks, and I just discovered podcasting and when I subscribed I only had access to #5-9.

Cheers, Michael
michael@spidershoppe.com

I've got all the episodes, but i'm not sure where to upload them. At 14mb each they're a bit big to e-mail.

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
Lunja said:

It's a fantastic podcast though, and deserves it's number one status, although I must say I'm suprised it's so popular all over the world. Have other countries seen the UK version of The Office?

It makes me smile but rarely makes me laugh. The Office was the same way, it tried so hard to be funny but was just embarrassing. Father Ted is better by far and little Britain is excellent. I just can't figure out why Ricky Gervais gets the attention he does. Can someone explain why he's so popular?

pknz

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
The Office isn't meant to be "ha-ha" funny. Its a niche humour market that makes you squirm in your seat and make you feel uncomfortable and embarrased and that is whats funny about it.

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
mjacobi said:
... Fawlty Towers, which I still consider the best 12 episodes of television ever ...
What's this thing brits have about 12 episodes? 12 episodes of the Office, Fawlty Towers, the Ricky Gervais podcast. Can't they learn to milk things till they're old, boring and decrepit, like the Americans do?

Although Cliff Richards was the exception to the rule - is he still alive? Still churning out Christmas #1s?

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
pknz said:
The Office isn't meant to be "ha-ha" funny. Its a niche humour market that makes you squirm in your seat and make you feel uncomfortable and embarrased and that is whats funny about it.

Then it shouldn't really be classified as comedy then should it?

To me it just seemed sort of pointless, most people see the same thing at work every single day. But then I rarely see the point of a lot of American TV either.

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
Ugg said:

To me it just seemed sort of pointless, most people see the same thing at work every single day. But then I rarely see the point of a lot of American TV either.

Well I find the show funny. If this doesn't make you laugh then I don't know what will...

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Ugg said:
Different people find different things funny, and there are many types of comedy. I personally tend to gravitate to darker, more subtle humor over slapstick, but that's just me. That doesn't mean that good slapstick won't make me laugh too.

For example I find Harry Shearer's "Le Show" (also available as a podcast through iTunes) quite enjoyable most of the time, but it is the same kind of make you uneasy rather than laugh out loud funny.

As far as Ricky Gervais goes I think the UK Office is quite funny, and I found Extras truly brilliant, funny and touching at the same time. Very human. I'm also enjoying the US Office, but it is quite a bit more conventional in its humor, which is appropriate for US network TV.

The podcasts have given me a good laugh on the way to work each Monday and I'll miss them for that once this run is done in a few weeks. So, thanks for the XFM links, they'll help fill the void.

Here's hoping that the next series of Extras is as good as the first.

B

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
MattG said:
Well I find the show funny. If this doesn't make you laugh then I don't know what will...

It's moderately humorous, but not funny. Sorry, I just don't see the point of The Office...:(

I'll try listening to more of his podcasts.

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
MattG said:

That part kills me, but especially it's the lead up with the faces he makes when Neil and Rachel dance, and then after his dance.. "I sorta fused flashdance with MC Hammer sh*t"

Then he's like 'my was impromptu, but I don't think you should get extra points for that.... necessarily'

The Office is the funniest show, with the exception of perhaps Arrested Development I've probably every seen, but it certainly not a comedy that would appeal to the average joe.

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
rickvanr said:
That part kills me, but especially it's the lead up with the faces he makes when Neil and Rachel dance, and then after his dance.. "I sorta fused flashdance with MC Hammer sh*t"

Then he's like 'my was impromptu, but I don't think you should get extra points for that.... necessarily'

The Office is the funniest show, with the exception of perhaps Arrested Development I've probably every seen, but it certainly not a comedy that would appeal to the average joe.

And the American version of The Office has gotten so much better since the first few episodes. I don't particularly like Steve Carell's version of the office manager, at least not as much as Ricky's; I think the interaction between other characters is great though, particularly Dwight, Pam and Jim.

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
MattG said:
And the American version of The Office has gotten so much better since the first few episodes. I don't particularly like Steve Carell's version of the office manager, at least not as much as Ricky's; I think the interaction between other characters is great though, particularly Dwight, Pam and Jim.

Have you watched Extras? It's pretty funny at times.

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
rickvanr said:
Have you watched Extras? It's pretty funny at times.

Yes -- I'm looking forward to that coming back. Now that show, in all fairness, I would say is a bit dry, at least compared to "The Office." Still funny though.

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
MattG said:
Yes -- I'm looking forward to that coming back. Now that show, in all fairness, I would say is a bit dry, at least compared to "The Office." Still funny though.

Yeah, its not as funny. I really enjoyed episode six however, with Patrick Stewart. That episode was good. The one with Kate Winslet was pretty funny too.

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
It's a bit short notice but Ricky Gervais is on Richard & Judy in a few minutes talking about Podcasting.

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
They could just make "Karl's Diary" take the entire half hour, and it wouldn't get old. It's the most brilliant thing I've ever heard. "Mr. Dilkington"...lol. Seriously, they should make him keep a diary for a year, then have Stephen and Ricky read it out loud and sell an audiobook of it. I'd buy it :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.