Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PaulieORF

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2009
Connecticut
Okay, so we all know that the CDMA version of the iPhone 4 has only received the minor 4.2.6 update after shipping with 4.2.5. Since then the GSM model has received the 4.3 update and the 4.3.1 update, while the CDMA version remains where it was nearly 6 weeks ago.

So, I've read some people claiming that the reason for the delay or lack of update for the CDMA iPhone is because Apple is waiting on a firmware update from Qualcomm for the MDM6600 chip. Okay, I could understand that. Then the past few days I've read reviews about the HTC Thunderbolt for Verizon, which is the first Verizon phone that does simultaneous voice and data over not only LTE, but over EVDO as well. This got me to thinking. Could it be that this update Apple is waiting on from Qualcomm could be a firmware update that allows the iPhone 4 to handle simultaneous voice and data? I've done some research and no one really seems to know for sure whether or not the MDM6600 could be upgraded though firmware to be able to do this.

I think if this is what's going on, it's a pretty decent reason for Apple to be holding off on updating the CDMA iPhone 4.

What do you guys think, am I crazy or is this a valid theory?

TimShady

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2011
Chicago
That would be nice. It's kind of annoying that Apple never mentioned 4.3 for the CDMA phone. I kind of doubt that's the reason but we shall see.

Last edited:

mfram

Contributor
Jan 23, 2010
San Diego, CA USA
The way Verizon's network is set up, you're not going to get simultaneous voice and data period. Maybe if there were two independent RF receive chains in the phone it could be done. Except I don't think the single MSM6600 supports that. You'll have to wait for LTE support for V+D.

oakie

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2008
seattle
The way Verizon's network is set up, you're not going to get simultaneous voice and data period. Maybe if there were two independent RF receive chains in the phone it could be done. Except I don't think the single MSM6600 supports that. You'll have to wait for LTE support for V+D.

your first sentence is plainly incorrect and even debunked on your own with your next statement.

the current solution was supposed to be an extension of the EVDO standard in Revision B. VzW's network is capable of being software upgraded to the RevB standard and allow for simultaneous voice and data and/or the baseband can be made capable of the same function by using a MIMO type setup.

the question is if the current 6600 baseband is capable of MIMO to allow simultaneous voice and data without the network undergoing a RevB upgrade.

to further discredit your comment is the fact that the HTC Thunderbolt is capable of simultaneous voice and data over EVDO without the RevB network upgrade.

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
Houston, TX
let's use "Occam's Razor"....could it simply be that 4.3 only added personal hotspot to GSM iPhones? and the Verizon iPhone shipped with this feature so no need for an update?

PaulieORF

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2009
Connecticut
Why would this require Apple to hold off updating their OS?

Beats me, haha. Perhaps they want to match up the versions on both GSM and CDMA models, and so they will roll this out with the 4.3.1 or whatever it is at the time they're ready, rather than being in the situation they got into with the release of the CDMA with a 4.2.5 and 4.2.6 which never existed for the GSM model.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
let's use "Occam's Razor"....could it simply be that 4.3 only added personal hotspot to GSM iPhones? and the Verizon iPhone shipped with this feature so no need for an update?

+1

4.3 only really updated adding personal hot spots which verizon already came with 4.3.1 was just to tweak some bugs in 4.3

OP what is in the GSM update that you wanted?

PaulieORF

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2009
Connecticut

Below are the updates available in 4.3. I think 4.3.1 was just some bug fixes from 4.3. Also, I'm not sure how many of the bug fixes in 4.3 were actually addressed in 4.2.6, but personal hotpot is certainly not the only difference between 4.2.6 and 4.3. The new Nitro JavaScript engine is sort of a bit deal also. Straight from Apple about what's in 4.3...

This update contains new features and improvements, including the following:

* Personal Hotspot

- Share iPhone 4 cellular data with up to 5 devices (combination of up to 3 Wi-Fi, 3 Bluetooth, and 1 USB)

* iTunes Home Sharing

- Play music, movies, and TV shows from a shared iTunes library on a Mac or PC (requires iTunes 10.2)

* New AirPlay features

- Play videos from the Photos app including the Camera Roll album, iTunes previews, enabled third-party apps and websites on Apple TV

- Play slideshows from Photos on Apple TV using transitions available on Apple TV

* Faster Safari performance with Apple Nitro JavaScript engine

* HD video out using the Apple Digital AV Adapter

- View 720p HD videos from Videos app, iPod app, Photos, YouTube, Safari, Keynote, and enabled third-party apps on an HDMI display

* Ping features

- Push notifications for comments and follow requests

- Post and Like songs directly from the Now Playing screen

- Parental controls

* New Settings

- Messages setting for number of times to repeat an alert

- iPad side switch setting to lock screen rotation or mute audio notifications and sound effects

* Single tap conference call dialing with a pause to send a passcode

* Bug fixes

PaulieORF

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2009
Connecticut
+1

4.3 only really updated adding personal hot spots which verizon already came with 4.3.1 was just to tweak some bugs in 4.3

OP what is in the GSM update that you wanted?

Mostly the new Nitro JavaScript engine, which speeds up Safari drastically. Also Home Sharing and AirPlay for third party apps.

kicko

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2008
I just find it funny about all the fragmentation talk of Android and this is exactly just that.

I remember a few apps had to update or fix things because of the Verizon version of the phone. If there was not fragmentation why would this occur?

PaulieORF

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2009
Connecticut
I just find it funny about all the fragmentation talk of Android and this is exactly just that.

I remember a few apps had to update or fix things because of the Verizon version of the phone. If there was not fragmentation why would this occur?

Which is exactly why I'm hoping there's a good reason for this to be happening, like Apple waiting on this update from Qualcomm. It's probably just me being hopeful, but oh well.

kicko

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2008
newsflash my friend...it did not speed up Safari all that drastically...and are there even any third party apps using airplay yet?

thats not really the point.

Although i believe 4.2.6 safari version was already some what "snappier" which would explain why when AT&T would reach speeds of 3-4mbps and the Verizon model would only reach speeds of 1.4mbps yet both would load web pages at virtually the same time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.