Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tomstanoch

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2007
Ordered my 2.2/7200RPM/Matte Screen MBP on July 9th through the Education Store. Shipped July 21st. Estimated delivery date is July 25th by 10:30 AM (according to FED EX).

First Mac ever...lets hope it's worth the extra moola and is in pristine condition.

Osprey

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
In a Galaxy Far, Far Away
I don't know if any of you "original" guys are still reading this thread, but just in case, I thought I would update you. I didn't cancel my order and Apple was good to their word. It took exactly six weeks to ship, but I finally received my MBP today. It is a week 29 build and a LG screen.

I am sure that this will come back to haunt me, but I can't seem to find anything wrong with mine (and believe me, although I am somewhat ashamed to admit it--I have tried very hard to find something wrong). I do a lot of photography, I am a watercolorist, and I do some video so I think that I am pretty good with color. When I first received the MBP, I could see the yellowish hues from an angle. I calibrated using the Eye-One to get a more accurate color display. For the life of me, I can't even fault the viewing angles that everyone criticizes. I have one corner, (the lower, right hand) that has a small triangular shape that is a little darker than the rest of the screen. No problem, I just moved my dashboard to the right hand side of the screen. Besides, when I am editing, it won't be from the corner, it will be from the center of my screen. I am sure that there are those who will tell me that I just can't see the yellow, but it just isn't there. Not even when viewing from an angle since I calibrated. Also I seldom use my MBP at full screen brightness and I have absolutely no flickering. Someone suggested that if you tilted the MBP and looked at the top you would see white light shining through and at the bottom you would see yellow light shining through. I have also tried this and just can't see it. It may be there, but I can't see it (honest).

Oh just remembered. The only fault that I can really find is that my internet with this thing is a whole lot slower to load than on my other machines. It shows that I am getting excellent reption, it just takes everything a long time to load. I thought it might just be Safari, but haven't really tried anything else yet.

The machine does feel a little warmer than my previous laptops, but I guess I really expected that and I can live with it. I haven't started editing video yet, but I think this computer is going to work for me. I guess time will tell if my assumptions are correct, but for right now I am extremely pleased and relieved. :):):)

Gandhi

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2007
TX
I don't know if any of you "original" guys are still reading this thread, but just in case, I thought I would update you. I didn't cancel my order and Apple was good to their word. It took exactly six weeks to ship, but I finally received my MBP today. It is a week 29 build and a LG screen.

I am sure that this will come back to haunt me, but I can't seem to find anything wrong with mine

As one of the regulars who has been waiting the longest, i am glad yours finally arrived, and more importantly it is perfect. I have had mine for a week now, and love it! Enjoy it, and stop looking for flaws.

DaveClarkOne

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2004
Last hold out?

How do I tell what build and screen (LG vs. Samsung) and/or hard drive? Seems that I'm among the last of the early orders (June 13th) who are still waiting, so naturally I'm curious about the specs.

Also, those of you getting delivery in the last week, are you getting the small or large AC power adaptor?

By the way, my order just switched today to "Prepared for Shipment..."

Thanks!

Osprey

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
As one of the regulars who has been waiting the longest, i am glad yours finally arrived, and more importantly it is perfect. I have had mine for a week now, and love it! Enjoy it, and stop looking for flaws.

Thanks Gandhi! You will be relieved to know that I got over trying to find a fault with it pretty quickly, but after reading he forums I just had to look. I figured if I am going to have problems I'll deal with them if and when they happy. Maybe those of us who waited got lucky, who knows? At least it booted up the first time I turned it on unlike my previous laptop, a Toshiba. I was stupid enough to think I could fix it, but it needs to have the OS re-instlled every so often. It isn't hardware, it is software. I guess that I should thank Toshiba because that laptop is the main reason I switched!

I am glad you are loving yours as well. Take care. I am sure I will be seeing on the forum from time to time.

Also for DaveClarkOne (always want to say Dave Clark Five and boy am I aging myself)

For display model:

http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=76751&d=1181992360

In system preferences go to display, click on color, click on Color LCD, open profile, line 13. If it is a 00009C67 is is LG if it is 9C68 (I think) it is Samsung

Mine came with larger adapter (not that I would know since I am a switcher). Congratulations, won't be too long now I hope!

DaveClarkOne

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2004
I can feeeeeel it

Thanks Osprey. I'll be checking out the hardware upon its arrival. Anticipation......(that's a Carly Simon song you would remember, no?)

koops

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2007
London
Thanks Gandhi! You will be relieved to know that I got over trying to find a fault with it pretty quickly, but after reading he forums I just had to look. I figured if I am going to have problems I'll deal with them if and when they happy. Maybe those of us who waited got lucky, who knows? At least it booted up the first time I turned it on unlike my previous laptop, a Toshiba. I was stupid enough to think I could fix it, but it needs to have the OS re-instlled every so often. It isn't hardware, it is software. I guess that I should thank Toshiba because that laptop is the main reason I switched!

I am glad you are loving yours as well. Take care. I am sure I will be seeing on the forum from time to time.

Also for DaveClarkOne (always want to say Dave Clark Five and boy am I aging myself)

For display model:

http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=76751&d=1181992360

In system preferences go to display, click on color, click on Color LCD, open profile, line 13. If it is a 00009C67 is is LG if it is 9C68 (I think) it is Samsung

Mine came with larger adapter (not that I would know since I am a switcher). Congratulations, won't be too long now I hope!

Hi Osprey! glad you have recieved your perfiect MBP! Mine is a week 28 and LG screen and I love it! it was worth the wait! I do have a yellow band about a 1cm at the top of the screen which you can see at an angle but I don't think it is worth changing and only noticible when a grey color is displayed (which turns yellow). Because I can't see it when viewed straight on and the rest of the laptop is perfect there si no need to change - I too went over this laptop with a fine tooth combe after reading this forum and it passed every test!

4np

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
The Netherlands
I don't know if any of you "original" guys are still reading this thread, but just in case, I thought I would update you.

Hey Osprey; I just thought I would check this thread to see what was going on ;) Good to hear you finally got yours as well :) I've been playing around with mine for a while now and I'm quite happy with it. Even brought it along to a LAN Party last weekend (FEAR, UT2004, CoD2) and everybody was impressed with the performance and the look of my MBP :) The funny thing was that if I served a FEAR game (over a bridged AirportExpress to LAN connected windows desktops) the gamers had a better ping than when connected over LAN to some lousy windows server ;)

Also, it does not run too hot either. I think it's even cooler than my -previous- PowerBook G4 1.67 (2nd last revision); however my PowerBook only startup up the fans when it was getting hot while the MBP always has it's fans on at 2000rpm (so my PB was more quiet). I only find the trackpad sometimes a littlebit less responsive compared to my PB trackpad with 2 finger scrolling. Other than than; I'm very happy :)

As I'm a web developer for profession I set up MAMP + virtual hosts modification + subversion last sunday in order to work locally. Works excellent and much faster than on my old PowerBook :)

Enjoy your machine :)

[edit]Koops also lurking here? ;)[/edit]

L3X

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2006
Chesapeake, VA
Osprey and you other guys, did you get the new, smaller magsafe adapter?

Apparently, people that ordered recently have been getting them.

koops

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2007
London
Hey Osprey; I just thought I would check this thread to see what was going on ;) Good to hear you finally got yours as well :) I've been playing around with mine for a while now and I'm quite happy with it. Even brought it along to a LAN Party last weekend (FEAR, UT2004, CoD2) and everybody was impressed with the performance and the look of my MBP :) The funny thing was that if I served a FEAR game (over a bridged AirportExpress to LAN connected windows desktops) the gamers had a better ping than when connected over LAN to some lousy windows server ;)

Also, it does not run too hot either. I think it's even cooler than my -previous- PowerBook G4 1.67 (2nd last revision); however my PowerBook only startup up the fans when it was getting hot while the MBP always has it's fans on at 2000rpm (so my PB was more quiet). I only find the trackpad sometimes a littlebit less responsive compared to my PB trackpad with 2 finger scrolling. Other than than; I'm very happy :)

As I'm a web developer for profession I set up MAMP + virtual hosts modification + subversion last sunday in order to work locally. Works excellent and much faster than on my old PowerBook :)

Enjoy your machine :)

[edit]Koops also lurking here? ;)[/edit]

He he, I am always lurking on this post - I owe it one! it was the only thing keeping me going on the wait!

Anybody had any luck with windows file sharing? i have a windows PC and want to share files I have used the connect to server and setup the workgroup in utilities,trues to connect to server smb://ip address/shared name and setup file sharing on the windows machine but I get an error -36 and it does not bring up a username and password? I have since found that error -36 means too many files opened for sharing (i think) anyone else had this problem - i'll post a new thread If i can't work it out quickly as I dont want to hijack this great thread!

good to see you boys and still lurking too!

4np

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
The Netherlands
He he, I am always lurking on this post - I owe it one! it was the only thing keeping me going on the wait!

Anybody had any luck with windows file sharing? i have a windows PC and want to share files I have used the connect to server and setup the workgroup in utilities,trues to connect to server smb://ip address/shared name and setup file sharing on the windows machine but I get an error -36 and it does not bring up a username and password? I have since found that error -36 means too many files opened for sharing (i think) anyone else had this problem - i'll post a new thread If i can't work it out quickly as I dont want to hijack this great thread!

good to see you boys and still lurking too!

Hmmm I have a (Gentoo) Linux box (Gateway/Firewall/Fileserver/Webserver/FTPserver/Hobby box/etc ;)) on which I have Samba (=windows filesharing) configured. Connecting from my MBP to the Linux box works like a charm and I did not have any issues connecting to real windows machines either. I assume it's the Windows machine that's having problems; maybe something in access rights or the MS firewall?

Also, if other people have a Linux box at home as well; have a look at mt-daapd. It can share your mp3 collection on your network using Apple's DAAP protocol; your music will show up in iTunes as 'shared music'. So I store all my music on my Linux box which saves me a lot of harddrive space :) Works great :)

koops

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2007
London
Hmmm I have a (Gentoo) Linux box (Gateway/Firewall/Fileserver/Webserver/FTPserver/Hobby box/etc ;)) on which I have Samba (=windows filesharing) configured. Connecting from my MBP to the Linux box works like a charm and I did not have any issues connecting to real windows machines either. I assume it's the Windows machine that's having problems; maybe something in access rights or the MS firewall?

Also, if other people have a Linux box at home as well; have a look at mt-daapd. It can share your mp3 collection on your network using Apple's DAAP protocol; your music will show up in iTunes as 'shared music'. So I store all my music on my Linux box which saves me a lot of harddrive space :) Works great :)

Thanks for the reply, I too believe its windows side - I'll have another go tonight

Ninja Guidan

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2005
Osprey and you other guys, did you get the new, smaller magsafe adapter?

Apparently, people that ordered recently have been getting them.

Really? Interesting. Mine finally shipped from Shanghai last night/this morning. Ordered July 12 @ 10:00pm EST, estimated shipping July 23 - 26, 2.2GHz, 160GB 7200RPM HD, 2GB RAM.

Looking forward to it...

Ship date
Jul 24, 2007

Estimated delivery
Jul 27, 2007 by 10:30 AM

Shipping to
Duluth, GA USA

Status
In transit

Jul 25, 2007 2:52 PM In transit SHANGHAI CN

Jul 24, 2007 4:27 PM Left origin SHANGHAI CN
4:11 PM Picked up SHANGHAI CN Package received after FedEx cutoff
2:06 PM Package data transmitted to FedEx

Rendition

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2007
It's been 35 hours since my Macbook Pro left Shanghai, but no new updates on Fedex.com. Hmmm, how long did it take for Fedex to update after it leaves China if anyoen remembers?

Rendition

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2007
Can someone post their Fedex tracking shipment schedule so I can estimate how long it will take from initial shipment to completion? Thanks.

Osprey

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
Just wanted to thank everyone on this thread for helping me wait it out and commiserating with me. The wait would have been a lot more miserable without your encouragement.

BTW, mine shipped with the chunky magsafe as well, but since it is so much lighter than all the other I have had, I'm not complaining. I did read on another thread though that someone else received theirs yesterday and it came with the new one. So if you really want it, maybe you will get lucky!

ca90065

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2007
Can someone post their Fedex tracking shipment schedule so I can estimate how long it will take from initial shipment to completion? Thanks.

Shipping to: Western Canada

Ordered: JUL 10, 2007
Apple's Shipment Date: JUL 23, 2007 (Originally estimated JUL 19-24)
Apple's Expected Delivery Date: JUL 26, 2007 (Originally estimated JUL 27-AUGUST 3)

FEDEX Tracking as of now:
Jul 24, 2007 9:05 PM
In transit SHANGHAI CN

Jul 23, 2007 12:39 PM
Left origin SHANGHAI CN

Jul 23, 2007 12:35 PM
Picked up SHANGHAI CN
*Package received after FedEx cutoff

Jul 23, 2007 9:05 AM
Package data transmitted to FedEx

I wonder what timezone those times are in...

ophidean

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2007
Philadelphia, PA

I am sure that this will come back to haunt me, but I can't seem to find anything wrong with mine (and believe me, although I am somewhat ashamed to admit it--I have tried very hard to find something wrong). I do a lot of photography, I am a watercolorist, and I do some video so I think that I am pretty good with color. When I first received the MBP, I could see the yellowish hues from an angle. I calibrated using the Eye-One to get a more accurate color display. For the life of me, I can't even fault the viewing angles that everyone criticizes. I have one corner, (the lower, right hand) that has a small triangular shape that is a little darker than the rest of the screen. No problem, I just moved my dashboard to the right hand side of the screen. Besides, when I am editing, it won't be from the corner, it will be from the center of my screen. I am sure that there are those who will tell me that I just can't see the yellow, but it just isn't there. Not even when viewing from an angle since I calibrated. Also I seldom use my MBP at full screen brightness and I have absolutely no flickering. Someone suggested that if you tilted the MBP and looked at the top you would see white light shining through and at the bottom you would see yellow light shining through. I have also tried this and just can't see it. It may be there, but I can't see it (honest).

Oh just remembered. The only fault that I can really find is that my internet with this thing is a whole lot slower to load than on my other machines. It shows that I am getting excellent reption, it just takes everything a long time to load. I thought it might just be Safari, but haven't really tried anything else yet.

The machine does feel a little warmer than my previous laptops, but I guess I really expected that and I can live with it. I haven't started editing video yet, but I think this computer is going to work for me. I guess time will tell if my assumptions are correct, but for right now I am extremely pleased and relieved. :):):)

Glad to hear everything went well bro. I know you were VERY close to giving up. I can't imagine 6 weeks...I was getting crazy after 1 week!!

Looking forward to hearing more good news from peeps :)

My MBP has been perfect, only blemish is the right side is raised some when in clam.

ophidean

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2007
Philadelphia, PA

Here is mine...pretty quick from China to PA!

Jul 17, 2007

9:15 AM Delivered Yardley, PA
8:42 AM On FedEx vehicle for delivery BRISTOL, PA
8:29 AM At local FedEx facility BRISTOL, PA
7:22 AM At dest sort facility PHILADELPHIA, PA
5:34 AM Departed FedEx location INDIANAPOLIS, IN
2:00 AM Int'l shipment release INDIANAPOLIS, IN
12:54 AM Arrived at FedEx location INDIANAPOLIS, IN

Jul 16, 2007

4:59 PM Departed FedEx location ANCHORAGE, AK
2:59 PM Arrived at FedEx location ANCHORAGE, AK
9:15 PM In transit SHANGHAI CN
11:34 AM Left origin SHANGHAI CN

Rendition

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2007
Thanks ophidean, I really appreciate it. I love the community on this thread. :)

What monitor should I get (not to get too off-topic, but since we're getting our Macs now I think it's ok hehe)?

I'm looking for above 20" with good color fidelity under $1K. I'm worried about getting the dreaded "pink haze" on the 23" Apple Cinema Displays, even though it has the excellent S-IPS panels.

sevimli

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
ChiTown

Ordered on July 19 (actually replacement).

Jul 24, 2007
10:11 AM Delivered CHICAGO, IL

7:13 AM On FedEx vehicle for delivery CHICAGO, IL

6:05 AM At local FedEx facility CHICAGO, IL

5:02 AM At dest sort facility CHICAGO, IL

4:24 AM Departed FedEx location INDIANAPOLIS, IN

12:11 AM Arrived at FedEx location INDIANAPOLIS, IN

Jul 23, 2007
4:33 PM Departed FedEx location ANCHORAGE, AK

12:02 PM Arrived at FedEx location ANCHORAGE, AK

12:24 AM In transit SHANGHAI CN

Jul 21, 2007

1:44 PM Package data transmitted to FedEx

8:44 AM Picked up SHANGHAI CN
Package received after FedEx cutoff

8:44 AM Left origin SHANGHAI CN

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.