Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kryptticAZ

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
If you have received your 17" with the 7200RPM drive, what model is it (look in the system profiler)? Perhaps it's not the Seagate Momentus, which is 9.5mm in height? The 17" can accommodate a 12.5mm drive, so perhaps it is a different model.

The Seagate is a little hard to find right now. OWC just got them back in stock yesterday and I couldn't find them at most online vendors when I looked last week.

My Seagate arrived yesterday from transintl.com ($199) and I installed it in my new 15" without a hitch. Very fast...

oreali

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2004
Very interesting thread.
I'm from Italy, on 7 June I ordered "my" 15" MBP + 7200rpm HD from my local apple reseller. No news, only 4-6 weeks EST...I'm very sad... :mad:

On 5 June, just after the new MBP presentation, the italian and the UK apple online stores reported "2-4 weeks" at the beginning. I'm sure. But the next hours/day it changed: "4-6 weeks". Perhaps they make a mistake?!?:confused:

The 17" can accommodate a 12.5mm drive, so perhaps it is a different model.

I wrote the same thing on the apple discussions forum and an user told me it's impossible... but I'm going on thinking it's very probable.

But the thread object is correct: it's ridiculous. Hey, china apple guys: send me the MBP parts + 7200, I'll mount it by myself! :cool: :D

aaronw1986

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 31, 2006
The wait is killing me too...wondering if I should settle for 5400, though I do want the 7200!

Fayler

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2007
So, who here ordered the 7200rpm drive for the 15" MBP and is waiting it out?

I, unfortunately, am. As of right now, I have my free printer, my free ipod nano (in silver to match the laptop, thank you very much), and my copy of Microsoft Office for Mac. Everything BUT my damn laptop.

klharper

macrumors member
May 2, 2007
If you have received your 17" with the 7200RPM drive, what model is it (look in the system profiler)? Perhaps it's not the Seagate Momentus, which is 9.5mm in height? The 17" can accommodate a 12.5mm drive, so perhaps it is a different model.

The Seagate is a little hard to find right now. OWC just got them back in stock yesterday and I couldn't find them at most online vendors when I looked last week.

My Seagate arrived yesterday from transintl.com ($199) and I installed it in my new 15" without a hitch. Very fast...

Smooth :)
Not only do you get yours weeks before others, but Apple really doesn't have a way of telling you changed your HD if you bring it in for service, not voiding your warranty. Maybe?
Unless apple looks up in their DB that you ordered your laptop with the stock and not the 7200? But I seriously doubt they would investigate that far?

le sacre

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2004
sf, ca, usa
I, unfortunately, am. As of right now, I have my free printer, my free ipod nano (in silver to match the laptop, thank you very much), and my copy of Microsoft Office for Mac. Everything BUT my damn laptop.

i just received my DVI-video adapter and extra power adapter. i only ordered them (with my 15" 2.4 7200--ships 7/24) yesterday morning... it's almost like they're teasing us with all these accessories!

whatever; it's no use complaining. here's hoping for a pleasantly early surprise! the mess of statistics and claims floating around about the hard drives is hard to navigate, but i became convinced that it'll make a difference.

daze

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2006
San Jose, California
I just ordered a 15" MacBook Pro with a glossy display and 5400RPM 160GB HD. I changed my mind later to go with the faster HD, and had to get a customer rep to change it. So he cancelled my previous order, and added a new order with everything correct EXCEPT the glossy display. So now I have to call them tomorrow to cancel this order, and create yet another order... Ah, the pain...

And yes, the ship date for the 7200 RPM is July 25. Sheesh, talk about slow. But hopefully, it'll be sooner than that.

macjonny1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
Smooth :)
Not only do you get yours weeks before others, but Apple really doesn't have a way of telling you changed your HD if you bring it in for service, not voiding your warranty. Maybe?
Unless apple looks up in their DB that you ordered your laptop with the stock and not the 7200? But I seriously doubt they would investigate that far?

I would imagine that it would be quite easy to see, as all they have to do is see when they pull up the order that there is originally a 5400rpm drive in there...I'd be surprised if it voided any warranty for the rest of the computer...

unimac

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2007
:d

Attachments

• IMG_3078.JPG
    IMG_3078.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 120

aaronw1986

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 31, 2006

Sweet, you are lucky. Funny though since I started this thread in regards to the 15 inch people, those waiting "4-6" weeks, not us already getting our computers...:(

And yes, the bitterness comes from jealousy.

klharper

macrumors member
May 2, 2007
I would imagine that it would be quite easy to see, as all they have to do is see when they pull up the order that there is originally a 5400rpm drive in there...I'd be surprised if it voided any warranty for the rest of the computer...

Right, but that would probably take a certain amount of initial suspicion or someone looking for it, or a sharp employee... heh

kryptticAZ

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
OWC and transintl both have this drive in stock NOW for $199. Just grab a screwdriver and torx driver and do it yourself. As long as you're careful and patient, it's not difficult at all. I put mine in in about 20 mintues--the hardest part is snapping the case back on when you're done. Hint: I had trouble snapping the case on top of the DVD drive because I was afraid of bending the opening when I pushed down on it. But I put my checkbook in the slot to support pushing down from the top and it worked great.

While you're in there, install some RAM for MUCH cheaper than Apple sells it for. The exact same Micron chips that Apple sells for $550 each are $200 each at OWC. If you're OK with generic RAM, it's even cheaper.

le sacre

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2004
sf, ca, usa
OWC and transintl both have this drive in stock NOW for $199. Just grab a screwdriver and torx driver and do it yourself. As long as you're careful and patient, it's not difficult at all. I put mine in in about 20 mintues...

i know; i'm so tempted... but with the student dev discount, the upgrade drive was only $120, and i'm sufficiently clumsy to worry about voiding the warrantee on a new computer. when i installed my current drive into my 12" pbook, i had to drill out a screw because the head got stripped (stressful!). not to mention somehow i was a complete moron and forgot to unplug the power adapter before dismantling the case. i consider myself lucky that i didn't fry anything. yeah, i could never cut straight lines in elementary school, either.

LuvAussies

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2003
Virginia
With other stores getting this drive in stock, that means they're shipping out, so hopefully Apple has gotten a supply too and can start putting our machines together! :D

I'm betting they'll start shipping sooner than they estimated! (fingers crossed!)

It will be worth the wait in the long run!

funkshun

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2007
first post

first mac (sooner) now that i canceled my order for the 15" 2.4 with 7200 drive, chose the default drive, and found the st9160823asg using froogle.com, $190 with 2day+tax. Thats $40 more then apple charged for the upgrade, but without the month delay. I can probably get $40 or more for the default drive on ebay.

thanks macforums for being such a great source of info to help me make great decisions about my first mac.

LuvAussies

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2003
Virginia
Nice move, hope that works out for you!

Hopefully Apple got a shipment of these drives in too and they'll start assembling them!

LuvAussies

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2003
Virginia
That's the drive in the 17", I thought the drive for the 15" had to be smaller even, so they are different which is why only the 17" 7200rpms are shipping ????

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.