Ridiculous January Activity challenges

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by japanime, Dec 31, 2018.

1. SoYoung macrumors 6502a

The ridiculous challenge of this month is Apple mess it up again with no special new year challenge and newly achieved rewards taking 2-3 days to show up. Its the way Apple wants to motivate us!

2. MEJHarrison macrumors 65816

You just have to wait till the watch gives you a challenge. If you got your watch before the 1st, you should have one. But there's no guarantees. I got my watch last year around December 27th and didn't get my first personal challenge until March. So if you don't have one yet, cross your fingers that one will show up next month.

Meanwhile, you can double check in the Activity app on your phone. Under the Awards tab, mine is listed under the Go For It heading.

3. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Thanks for that information. Last question, I was looking to see if I could increase my Standing or Exercise or Move. But I only see that I can increase move goal. Does changing that goal also affect/increase the other two goals as well?

4. raziel101 macrumors member

raziel101

Lowering or raising your move goal has no effect on the other two goals. Excercise goal will always be 30 minutes and Standing will always be 12 hours.

5. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Thank you! How's the standing goal work? Is it stand for 10 minutes every hour or something?

6. Jason Hensley macrumors 6502

Jason Hensley

It's one minute for every full hour (5:00-6:00, 11:00-12:00, etc.) and you have to move around a bit for the watch to recognize it.

7. scmill macrumors member

scmill

If you haven't moved around in the last hour, the watch will prompt you 10 minutes before the hour to stand up and move around for at least a minute.

8. millerj123 macrumors 65816

It’s closer to 40 seconds, but the point is to move around every waking hour. Just be sure to move your watch hand, too. If you have your coffee mug, put it in your off hand.

9. japanime thread starter macrumors 68000

japanime

And if you have insomnia like me, you will see this on your watch at the end of the day. :D

[​IMG]

10. cdcastillo macrumors 6502a

cdcastillo

Another ridiculous goal here (to my standards). I have to double the move goal (currently at 1060 cal/day) at least 11 times this month, my december average was 1,176 calories per day and the most cals I burnt in a day previously were 1,614.

11. Kaffebreak macrumors newbie

Kaffebreak

My monthly challenge changed this morning. From crazy high move goal to easy 9 days of fill all my rings

12. Tapiture macrumors 65816

Tapiture

Mine is 13 days where I close all my rings, reasonably possible and I’m well on my way. I’m no slouch but the monthly challenges are never too tough for me, sounds like they’ll get to be that way though.

13. sumsingwong macrumors 6502a

sumsingwong

Hmmm...mine’s pretty easy. Not sure how they determine the challenge.

[​IMG]

I usually work out 5 days a week.

Today was HIIT.

[​IMG]

My other days are weight training.

[​IMG]

14. kohlson macrumors 68000

Sometimes I wonder if Apple did a "set and forget" challenge algorithm. Some of the challenges are ridiculous, especially for people who are already at the high end of the scale (1K calorie goals, for example). Really, imho, just maintaining this is pretty laudable. I understand people who have goals at the lower end of the scale could use more encouragement, but I don't understand how people who exercise 90-120 minutes a day can realistically stretch to more (and then next month, even more).

15. Jason Hensley macrumors 6502

Jason Hensley

They do need to get ahold of this. They’ve got me exercising over two hours everyday on average. I love working out, but the challenges are getting too high. I’d like to see more variety of them too

16. millerj123 macrumors 65816

17. Alch3mist macrumors member

Alch3mist

OP, as a Track and Field Coach I am going to look at this from a runners perspective. That type of increase for a runner I would say is not safe. Basically the runner would be going from ~53 miles per week to ~83 miles per week. Very Bad! However, at ~53 miles per week my hypothetical runner would be in shape for a decent half marathon. If I found it nececarry to reach this, otherwise ludicrous, goal I would have the athlete in question switch from running to biking for 2 of his weekly workouts. A half marathoner could get much more mileage in on the bike than on foot and expend, relatively, the same energy; even if a few muscles not use to the biking screams at her.

Perhaps WatchOS is suggesting some sort of cross-training. ijs, I guess it could work.

18. Beachmusic18 macrumors newbie

Beachmusic18

To win January, I need to go 222 miles. Compared to many of you, this doesn’t sound at all extreme, but at 75 (and one hip replacement under my belt) I thought I was doing well averaging about 150 a month! Unfortunately, 222 is high enough not to be doable, so I’m not trying, knowing that next month will be something worse. I love challenges, but need it to be reasonable, not discouraging.

19. japanime thread starter macrumors 68000

japanime

I hadn't thought of it that way. The challenge might indeed be suggesting increasing my miles by biking. Not a bad idea, actually. Thanks for putting it into perspective for me!

20. john991 macrumors 68000

I have to double my move goal 17 times for the month. Right now I’m at 10, so it should be doable. :)

21. cdcastillo macrumors 6502a

cdcastillo

Update: In the first 15 days of the month I just got 2 days that went over 200% of my move goal, and on those days I devoted at least 3 hours to exercise (e.g., I went swimming in the morning and running in the afternoon), in addition to keep walking most of the rest of the day.

So, in order to at least keep trying, I cheated and just lowered my move goal to 80%, so my new 200% is 160% of my "real" goal. That I can do another 9 days over 2 weeks to accomplish the challenge.