Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fab5freddy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 21, 2007
Heaven or Hell
come on, steve jobs, get with the program and add
a right click on all the macbook trackpads.....
the right click is the most useful thing on a computer, IMHO.

Sbrocket

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2007
/dev/null
I'll ignore your poor attempt at insulting someone rather than point out that insults are usually not the best way to get help.

System Preferences > Keyboard & Mouse > Trackpad > "Place two fingers on trackpad and click button for secondary click"

Will it take some getting used to? Maybe.
Is it really that troublesome after you've gotten used to it? Not at all. It's better than having the trackpad button split in two, I'd say. That would run the clean look of the trackpad and add unnecessary clutter. Plus, the two finger right-click is quick and easy to use.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
System Preferences -> Keyboard & Mouse

Check "Tap trackpad using two fingers for secondary click".

Much faster and more comfortable than moving to a physical button.

And, as hard as it is to believe, there are a LOT of computer uses who have difficulty even using one button (or, just don't WANT to know what right-click does). I have, over the years, worked with a few myself, and it has nothing to do with their intelligence (a couple of them are MENSA members).

edit: btw, iMacs and Mac Pros ship with the MightyMouse. The default configuration is a single "button", however it has 4. (left, center, right, and side-buttons).

(also ignoring the attempted insult of the OP. Especially "enjoyed" the zero effort which was put forth researching the topic.)

edit: guess I didn't ignore it that well ;)

ktbubster

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2007
US
I'll ignore your poor attempt at insulting someone rather than point out that insults are usually not the best way to get help.

System Preferences > Keyboard & Mouse > Trackpad > "Place two fingers on trackpad and click button for secondary click"

Will it take some getting used to? Maybe.
Is it really that troublesome after you've gotten used to it? Not at all. It's better than having the trackpad button split in two, I'd say. That would run the clean look of the trackpad and add unnecessary clutter. Plus, the two finger right-click is quick and easy to use.

I'd concure with all of that. I am not completely sure how you can be a "regular" on this forum and not have read similar threads and not know that this right click has been a feature on the books for a while and on desktops for.. well ... forever (as far as supporting right clicks) Hmm

I have to say the 2 finger right click (having used both the macs and many a dell and hp) is FAR easier for me anyway, then having two buttons. Perhaps it's just me, but with the trackpads separated, i'd find myself hitting the wrong button more then I'd care for... this trackpad way with apple is far more intuitive and easier to use IMO.

Steve and :apple: for teh win.

PS. I love whenever I go into the mac-labs in my school (even in the art and design building! so many mac-ignorant folk there!) I always have to set the preferences on the computers with mighty mice to the multi button config. I've had people complain about the two button lack on mac and then i switch it on the computer they are using and they have nothing to say! :)

fab5freddy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 21, 2007
Heaven or Hell
sorry guys, but i work on Macs & PC's everyday, and i personally like the physical right click much better, IMHO.
Also the PC right click has many more options than the Mac right click.
Sorry to diss the Mac, but this is my personal opinion...

ktbubster

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2007
US
sorry guys, but i work on Macs & PC's everyday, and i personally like the physical right click much better, IMHO.

Whelp.. dissing Steve isn't gonna help you out there. It's not even so much about his pride anymore, I assume and feel it's all about design now. He's happily made apples right click friendly for a while, but even the mighty mouse has hidden buttons.

I suppose the closest you might get to a physical right click is if they input the touchscreen type tech into the trackpads, allowing you to maybe choose the button or a space on the pad for a certain click function, which is one of the only ways I could see it happening, but we shall see... you will never see a two button trackpad (physical anyway) on a mac... they simply ruin the smooth simple design and clutter things up.

More for design, and I feel, ease of use. I'd be willin to bet you are a small percentage of people who have tried the trackpad 2 finger click and gotten used to it (which I will assume you attempted to do, before complaining) and prefer the actual two button design.

A 4 line post simply "dissing" or coming at apple in a annoyed ignorant sounding way isn't going to make people very happy around here. Mac apologist or not.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N

Your original post said "add right click", which is incorrect insomuch as MBP's do have "right click" capability.

Programmability is another issue, and although I haven't had the need, there probably are ways to reassign the secondary function on the trackpad.

If you mean secondary button in general, the Apple Mighty Mouse right-click is programmable.

semaja2

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2005
Adelaide
PLEASE DO NOT ADD A RIGHT CLICK BUTTON, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DONT

Its one of my favorite things about Apple laptops, i can not stand the awkward position of a hand on the windows laptops.

All you do is lay one hand on the trackpad and push down to click, hold the other hand on the keyboard and press ctrl when needed... its perfect

Sure under windows it sucks, but meh its not a windows laptop

ktbubster

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2007
US
PLEASE DO NOT ADD A RIGHT CLICK BUTTON, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DONT

Its one of my favorite things about Apple laptops, i can not stand the awkward position of a hand on the windows laptops.

All you do is lay one hand on the trackpad and push down to click, hold the other hand on the keyboard and press ctrl when needed... its perfect

Sure under windows it sucks, but meh its not a windows laptop

I completely agree... except, like I just said... I feel that is a horribly awkward method. Long live the 2 finger right click they have now! I LOVE the 2 finger right click and scrolling and all that niceness.. I actually rarely use the button. I tap :) tappity tap tap.

I find non-mac laptops very awkward. For me the buttons are always too small (and I am small!) and it's not as intuitive to have to make sure you don't accidently hit the wrong button... awkward hand positioning.. AND if you are left handed (I am not but friends have mentioned) they would be annoyed because apparently that makes the left or right button placement just off enough to become even more annoying.

Although.. like I said.. for the small majority who really wants a physical space to have to hit, or need extra programibilty....... well I guess we just found a reason for touch screen tech in the trackpads now! Maybe if they work that patent stuff into the mouse like was mentioned int he forums... that same idea could work in a lot more programibility into the trackpads too.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N

Yep, never been a big deal.

Have to reiterate how easy I (and probably most) find the two-finger right-click. Since I was already doing two-finger scrolling with my PB G4, the right-click is just second nature (no pun intended).

This feature is one of the things my Apple Store salesperson friend enjoys showing off in response to the "But, there isn't any right-button" question.

semaja2

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2005
Adelaide
I completely agree... except, like I just said... I feel that is a horribly awkward method. Long live the 2 finger right click they have now! I LOVE the 2 finger right click and scrolling and all that niceness.. I actually rarely use the button. I tap :) tappity tap tap.

I dont use any tap methods, they annoy me but i love their scroll... the windows scrolling is HORRIBLE with their werid side bar things :S

yrsonicdeath

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
Having been a life-long PC user who just recently switched I think that the two finger right click is probably one of my favorite features of my MBP. It's extremely comfortable to use and after only a day of use I was able to do it without thinking at all.

I agree with some of the previous replies in that I would be annoyed if a second button was added.

sorry guys, but i work on Macs & PC's

This doesn't have anything do do with the trackpad. I just did a right click on the PC I'm using now (at work) and the menu that pops up has 21 different choices. I would only ever use a couple of those. I for one am glad apple has chosen not to cludder up these menus. Like another poster mentioned apple click can be used which IMO is better than having cluddered menus. Anyway, I just use the keyboard shortcuts, but I always did that in windows anyway.

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
So do I, but I don't go around shouting it at people. ;)

The only time a right click button is useful (for most people) is when you have a ridiculously stubby thumb sticking out of your palm, otherwise you end up having to move your thumb back on itself at an awkward angle.

Also, please bear in mind that by eliminating a difference between a left handed user and a right handed user, you're making things much easier if somebody who uses the opposite hand needs to use your machine.

You always have two fingers on top of the trackpad at any point anyway, so you might as well use them for something.

yrsonicdeath

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
The only time a right click button is useful (for most people) is when you have a ridiculously stubby thumb sticking out of your palm, otherwise you end up having to move your thumb back on itself at an awkward angle.

I was going to mention this too. I have a bit more interestng problem as my thumb is double jointed as well and being pretty long. If I try to move it at weird angles it pops out of socket. Even if this wasn't the case I still feel strongly enough about the single button touchpad.

Jestered

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
Austin, Texas
Why do some "switchers" complain about not having the so called "features" that they are used to with windows boxes? Why do they want things that Apple purposely does not want that sets them apart from the same old cluttered, overweight, oversized crap that most PC boxes have?

Right after Apple clutters up the MBP with another trackpad button, maybe they should add that stupid and useless purple cursor ball in the middle of the keyboard. While they are at it, sense apparently some people don't like the Apple logo on the MBP (still can't figure that one out), they should change it to an aviator looking thing like Dell uses. Why stop there? Lets quite the fans down by adding an inch of thickness to the MBP. It also feels lighter than what PCs feel like, so lets put some never used ports on it and add a few more pounds of weight. Yeah, now the MBP is feeling more like the PC you used to use. Since you are more comfortable with Windows, why doesn't Apple let you configure it to have Windows installed out of the box, so you can feel right at home from the first time you turn it on. That would be great! Oh wait.... you should probably just go buy a Dell if that is what you want.

Apple is not a PC. Apple does not want to be a PC. Apple has its own idea of what makes a good and useful computer. That involves simplicity and not being cluttered up by a bunch of crap. If that is what you want, look elsewhere next time.

Jestered

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
Austin, Texas
FYI, my wireless mighty mouse has sensivite for left and right click.

Exactly! And they did it while at the same time keeping it simple. Technically, the Mighty Mouse has no buttons. The whole thing is a multiple button. For all those looking for the addition of another button on the Mac laptops, you should realize that Apple is probably working on getting rid of the button and trackpad all together. It would not surprise me at all if in two years the button and trackpad disappear and the whole palmrest on the Mac laptops is touch sensitive. You will be able to use any part of the palm rest to move the cursor and utilize the button(s).

While everyone else seems to be adding more clutter, Apple is getting rid of it while at the same time keeping the same functionality. That is what Apple is about.

IBrown

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2007
A recent switcher's opinion

I never liked trackpads on windows based laptops. I always preferred trackpoints.

However, I've got used to the one on the MBP.

Not having a right click button doesn't bother me anymore. I normally move the mouse pointer with my index or middle finger, resting my thumb on the button. Right-click is a simple matter of resting both index finger and middle finger on the pad and clicking the button. Awkward at first but second nature after oh, five minutes.

Certainly easier if you're left handed - which I am.

The only niggles I have are that i find the enter/return key too narrow and the caps lock key too wide. But that's just because I spend all day using a desktop keyboard and that's what I'm used to. I'd have the same problem with a lot of Windows laptop keyboards.

One thing I'd say...
Most contributers here are friendly and welcoming to new switchers. However, there are a number who are very quick to attack switchers asking basic questions. Most switchers have been using pcs for a number of years, and pcs are the only computers they've used. They will find things awkward and different at first. They will find that there are some things about the Mac that they find more difficult than on the pc. They will get frustrated. Please remember that these people have made the switch - they've paid good money to Apple. Don't discourage them or they'll be running back to their wintel boxes. If you want Apple to take a bigger market share, make switchers feel welcome and help them along. To the other new switchers, to those finding things a little difficult, persevere. It will all just suddenly click. Don't just rant at the Mac because it's different to the pc (that's the whole point!) and you're a little stuck.

I'd like to reiterate the "Most contributers here are friendly and welcoming to new switchers". Thanks to those that have helped!

Have a nice weekend.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
In this case, the OP didn't ask any question, let alone a basic one. Otherwise, I'm sure they would have received a better response.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.