Right-click trackpad question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ianwuk, Apr 27, 2013.

1. ianwuk macrumors regular

Hello.

On my mid-2010 MBP I was looking at the right-click settings in the Trackpad section of System Preferences and I am not sure if I have found an issue with my trackpad or not.

Basically, if I set right-click to be the bottom right hand corner of the trackpad then it works, but it is not actually the direct bottom right but a little more to the left (my finger is in line with the M key on the trackpad to register a bottom right corner click) compared to my finger being in line on the trackpad with the Command key as is shown in the video demonstration.

I can right-click fine using two fingers and in the bottom left hand corner it works fine too but I am not sure if the right-hand corner is working properly or not.

Is this normal?

Is there any software that can check the trackpad at all for what areas work and such when clicked?

Many thanks.

ianwuk

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Perhaps there's a buffer on the right side because of the two-finger swipe to reveal the Notification panel.

I've always just used the two-finger tap as it works reliably anywhere on the trackpad (internal or Magic).

3. ianwuk thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for replying.

I may be worrying about nothing and I can swipe from right to left to get notifications and it works fine so the right side definitely registers.

I am interested to see what anyone else says. I have also brought a USB mouse to use instead anyway. I was just worried because I play Hotline Miami a lot recently and that uses right-clicking quite extensively and so I thought that may have caused this.

Thanks.

ianwuk

4. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I. too, just use a two finger tap. Aside from being an uncoordinated klutz and occasionally accidentally right tapping when I want to two finger scroll, I don't have any problem with it. And neither will anybody else whose coordination is better than mine...which is to say better than a 3 year old.:eek: ;)

5. ianwuk thread starter macrumors regular

I was just worried that due to Hotline Miami requiring quite a lot of two finger tapping to dispatch enemies that I may have somehow broke the trackpad in some way through repeatedly clicking too much!

Thanks.

ianwuk

6. ianwuk thread starter macrumors regular

Is there no app I can install to test the trackpad to see if it works?

Thanks.

7. omgitscro macrumors 6502a

omgitscro

I believe gr8tfly was telling you that there is nothing wrong with the trackpad, but that the clicks not registering is a side effect of the software trying to detect if you are attempting to activate Notification Center. If that is the case, there isn't anything you can really do about it.

8. ianwuk thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks everyone for replying. I am just being paranoid I guess. I just thought it was strange how the video showed the bottom right but this was not the case on an actual MBP.

9. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

The video (attached still) on my rMBP, running 10.8.3, shows about 1/4" to 3/8" in from the actual lower right corner. It also only works with a mechanical click - not tap-to-click (it actually explicitly says so, though it's not all that obvious).

On my trackpad (internal), the secondary click on lower-right does work anywhere in the "corner", including near the edge (the area of contact would vary, I suppose, depending on the size of your finger).

Interestingly enough, touch gestures (including tap-to-click) do not register in the extreme corner. Perhaps this is what you are noticing (and what I was alluding to in my first post).

I don't know if there's a difference in coverage between model years trackpads. I never used that setting on my Early 2009 17". Based on the "dead" area I mentioned above, I think this is what you're seeing.

Attached Files:

10. ianwuk thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks very much for replying. That does make a lot of sense.