Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
it is freaking pouring here in the DC area. has been for about 36 hours basically. i was smart though, and wore my shoes with the holes in them today. great. :rolleyes:

anyone else here affected by the storms?

i'm hoping the power goes out here at work, but not at home... hahahaha. likely.

Oct 31, 2005
yea its pouring here in warrenton! Its flooding everywhere, lol, we live on a hill and our yard is pooling water, lol. After work I am going to buy a sump pump backup battery.

Lost power yesterday at work, lightning hit the pole thats about 50 feet from the building. The electric company that came by to fix it said, it their 30 years of experience, they have never seen such weird weather. (we have had a couple microbursts lately)

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
You all can blame my sister for that.

She moved to New York for undergrad college in August 2001. 9/11 Happened.
She moved to New Orleans for law school in August 2005. Katrina Happened.
She moved to DC in May 2006 for a summer internship. Now this happened :D

She's moving back home to STL in August to finish up law school, now we'll get that big earthquake scientists have been predicting for years.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I've been watching this in the news and it is nuts - especially the crap that happened in Alexandria where I used to live.....

For some reason, I'm now in the space between two storm areas and its a gorgeous day :D

D

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
celebrian23 said:
Rain please come to Ohio. I'm practically being smothered by the heat :(

trust me, it's only barely bringing the heat down, and the humidity makes up for it.. still very gross outside.

i got on the GW parkway just north of arlington cemetary last night around 11 pm... heard on the radio that drivers should "avoid the parkway north of national airport"... haha. guess i was lucky to make it all the way to 495!

it was pouring buckets here about 5 minutes ago (for about 15)... makes me wish i were home to take a rain time nap!

celebrian23

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2006
Under the sun
jelloshotsrule said:
trust me, it's only barely bringing the heat down, and the humidity makes up for it.. still very gross outside.

Well that's depressing. It's been unusually hot here. I hate warm weather, much less hot weather:( I want snow!

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
jelloshotsrule said:
anyone else here affected by the storms?

Yup. Plenty of rain in North-Central NC the last couple days with plenty more to come. Though, <jogs down hall to look out 9th floor window> it's not raining currently and hasn't since last night, there are some pretty ominous looking dark clouds rolling in from the SW.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
i just had lunch in the all windows cafeteria, and unless something changes by 5 pm, my feet, and a good portion of the rest of me, are going to be soaked by the time i get home.... freaking crazy out there.

ahh well, glad i'm not in nyc on a day like today!

Josh

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2004
State College, PA
I'm not on the east coast (and I hate when people say it's the "mid-west"...Michigan is, if anything, in the "mid-east" lol), but yes, storms got me yesterday.

Went on a 3 day camping trip and the weather was gorgeous, and we had the most perfect spot (on a cliff overlooking the manistee river...it was unbelievable).

But Sunday morning, when it was time to pack up all the gear, bikes, and hike out, sure enough it began raining. Not too bad though, but it made it a bunch worse (had to make the hike many times to get all the gear out).

celebrian23

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2006
Under the sun
Josh said:
I'm not on the east coast (and I hate when people say it's the "mid-west"...Michigan is, if anything, in the "mid-east" lol), but yes, storms got me yesterday.

People in michigan don't consider it the midwest? Here in Ohio everone I knows consider us (BOTH michigan and ohio) in the midwest, it's simply the eastern midwest ;)

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
Josh said:

finally someone who agrees with me! were you born and raised there in MI or are you a transplant? i've often raised the "mid-east" idea to my girlfriend (from chicago) and she defends midwest by saying that it got the name before the west was really inhabited (by whiteys that is)... but whatever, as that changed, the nickname should change!

CorvusCamenarum

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2004
Birmingham, AL
yg17 said:
You all can blame my sister for that.

She moved to New York for undergrad college in August 2001. 9/11 Happened.
She moved to New Orleans for law school in August 2005. Katrina Happened.
She moved to DC in May 2006 for a summer internship. Now this happened :D

She's moving back home to STL in August to finish up law school, now we'll get that big earthquake scientists have been predicting for years.

Or it could be my fault.
I was supposed to fly on 9/11.
I was supposed to go visit family in Mobile, AL right before Katrina.
I was just talking to the GF the other day about making a trip to DC since she's never been.

God must not like the idea of me travelling.

Josh

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2004
State College, PA
jelloshotsrule said:
finally someone who agrees with me! were you born and raised there in MI or are you a transplant? i've often raised the "mid-east" idea to my girlfriend (from chicago) and she defends midwest by saying that it got the name before the west was really inhabited (by whiteys that is)... but whatever, as that changed, the nickname should change!

Right on!

I've lived in MI my whole life. Glad to see I'm not alone :)

celebrian23 said:
People in michigan don't consider it the midwest? Here in Ohio everone I knows consider us (BOTH michigan and ohio) in the midwest, it's simply the eastern midwest ;)

lol

I can't speak for every one in Michigan, but I certaintly don't. To me, the phrase "midwest" would mean not the west coast, not the middle of the country, but somewhere in the middle between the two - I'd consider a place like Wyoming or Colorado the "midwest."

Michigan is much more "east" than "west." I don't see how it got associated with any kind of "west."

Here is how I see the country haha (low quality chop):

Attachments

• MAP.jpg
    MAP.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 70

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
Josh said:
I can't speak for every one in Michigan, but I certaintly don't. To me, the phrase "midwest" would mean not the west coast, not the middle of the country, but somewhere in the middle between the two - I'd consider a place like Wyoming or Colorado the "midwest."

Michigan is much more "east" than "west." I don't see how it got associated with any kind of "west."

Here is how I see the country haha (low quality chop):

exactly. i don't get it. crazy mid-easterners! ;)

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Josh said:
You're looking at it from today's POV, from the original 13 colonies MI is way west, no mid about it.

Remember too that St. Louis, MO is the "gateway to the West", more than half of the country is West.

B

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
balamw said:
You're looking at it from today's POV, from the original 13 colonies MI is way west, no mid about it.

Remember too that St. Louis, MO is the "gateway to the West", more than half of the country is West.

right, and that's the root of it... but we don't go around calling people pioneers and such anymore, do we? last i checked, we'd already kicked all the injuns off their land, so let's reassess what is where, geographically

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
jelloshotsrule said:
right, and that's the root of it... but we don't go around calling people pioneers and such anymore, do we? last i checked, we'd already kicked all the injuns off their land, so let's reassess what is where, geographically
I can see it now, "so you're from the midwest? Old midwest, or new midwest?".

While we're at can we outlaw calling anywhere a "Tri State area"? There seem to be more of these than you can shake a stick at.

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.