Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nastysailboat

Cancelled
Original poster
May 7, 2021
So I’m having a weird problem I can’t seem to find the answer to.

When I click a menu bar item (like control center) on the right the item stays open until I click a new window, another menu bar item, or his the esc key.

I contacted apple support they said it was because I hide my dock and menu bar but after trying combinations of I hiding it still doesn’t work. I restarted my Mac. I even tried resetting it completely like delete and start fresh. After a little while it started again.

I’m on a 16 inch MBP 2021 m1 max with the latest 12.3.1 I believe it is.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
I must be misunderstanding something, because what you describe is normal behavior. For instance, if I click on Control Center in the menu bar, it will stay open unless I click it again, click anywhere outside it, or press the escape key. How else would it work?

1650561271510.png

Reactions: nastysailboat

nastysailboat

Cancelled
Original poster
May 7, 2021
I must be misunderstanding something, because what you describe is normal behavior. For instance, if I click on Control Center in the menu bar, it will stay open unless I click it again, click anywhere outside it, or press the escape key. How else would it work?

View attachment 1994624
Hey there, I actually just figured it out. So when I click control center. Normally I can do any of those things to dismiss it but in addition I could also click the desktop to dismiss it as well, however clicking the desktop did not dismiss the menu bar item for me.

I like to keep a clean desktop so for years I’ve used the terminal command

defaults write com.apple.finder CreateDesktop false

killall Finder

However in my experience it seems 12.1 and up cause this clicking the desktop to not dismiss items.

I think this is because this command causes there to no be a desktop. But that’s just my guess. I really don’t know.

Using the command

defaults write com.apple.finder CreateDesktop true

killall Finder

Has fixed my issue.

I appreciate your response!

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
Glad you got it figured out, but all you have to do in future to keep a clean desktop is don't put anything on it, lol!

Reactions: nastysailboat

nastysailboat

Cancelled
Original poster
May 7, 2021
Glad you got it figured out, but all you have to do in future to keep a clean desktop is don't put anything on it, lol!
Very true! Lol I recently discovered I can send screen shots to the location of my choice. So that helps quite a bit!

Reactions: usagora
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.