Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Channan

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
Dang. Wasn't aware of that. Oh well. I guess it locked the package in since it was time sensitive. Worth the $2 if service doesn't end up sucking in central Florida where this would mostly get used.
Yeah, well if your uncle really wouldn't use more than 4000 minutes, texts, or MB every month, and you disable MMS, that $29 is just going to sit there doing nothing anyway.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Your phone does have a SIM. It probably shipped with one already in it, and you just activated it without messing with it. All LTE phones need a SIM card, including Verizon LTE phones.

I honestly don't understand how or why Sprint SIM cards work the way they do. I can't say for certain if the SIM I linked will work in non-Apple devices, but I'd guess not. RingPlus sells like 8 different SIMs. I can take my Verizon SIM and put it in either my Moto X or iPhone SE, but the Sprint SIM card I got for my old iPhone 5s works in my iPhone SE but not my Moto X. There's a separate SIM card I need for my Moto X, which is what I bought tonight.

Your best option would be to find a phone you want to use on this plan first, then buy the proper SIM card. If buying a new phone right now isn't an option, then yeah, you might want to go ahead and order the SIM I linked above so you don't miss out on the next great promotion. You might have to buy a second SIM card depending on the phone you eventually buy for it, but at least you won't miss out on a good plan later on. This time they let you lock in on the promotion by buying something from their store during the promotion hours, but that's the first time I've seen them do that.

Another thing to keep in mind is whatever free plan you pick, you're stuck with it. I got the Phoenix plan (3000 minutes, 2750 SMS/MB) last week and missed out on two better deals (3250 minutes/texts/MB and the 4000 one today). There are a couple of ways to upgrade to better plans, but you either need multiple phones and lose your original top-up, or you have to downgrade to the Truly Free plan (awful) and wait a month.

Ah, okay. I actually Googled "phone credo sticks." :D

Well you do have to pay $2 I believe to swap devices. Really stupid, but that will just come out of the $29 top up you paid.

Thanks for all that!

Is there a master page on Ringplus that shows all the SIM options?

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
If I get a s7 for the Ringplus phone (yeah...wow), then which SIM do I get?

The SIMGLW206R for:

image.jpeg
or the SIMOLW416C which covers:

image.jpeg

Channan

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
If I get a s7 for the Ringplus phone (yeah...wow), then which SIM do I get?

The SIMGLW206R for:

View attachment 629294 or the SIMOLW416C which covers:

View attachment 629296
I have no idea, but they just offered the 4000 plan again. It's available for the next hour and a half.

If I were you, I'd just order the SIM for your iPhone if you read this before it ends so you can lock in on the plan, then just pay an addition $15 later on for the proper SIM once you figure it out.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
I have no idea, but they just offered the 4000 plan again. It's available for the next hour and a half.

If I were you, I'd just order the SIM for your iPhone if you read this before it ends so you can lock in on the plan, then just pay an addition $15 later on for the proper SIM once you figure it out.

I see the Cheerful free promo on the plan page, but when you actually get to the page to select the package, it says only the Cheerful Members+ is available, not the Promo one.

Channan

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
Ok...will try tomorrow.
You could try Best Buy for the SIM card. Just call up your local Best Buy(s) and see if they have the right SIM in stock. I think they sell them for only $10, instead of $15 on R+. Then you could sign up for the plan tomorrow and not wait for the SIM to ship.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
I've been reading up on various matters and decided that it might be better to wait.

My main reason why a second phone was mainly to try a Samsung s7 as my primary phone for a while. I love the amoled screen and the overall package.

But a lot of owners comments on many issues ranging from battery life still not being quite as good, antennae reception, various operational issues, etc leads me to believe getting the s7 right now isn't quite the time.

Is there a minimum number of calls, etc each month that I would have to make to keep the Ringplus plan active once I sign up?

Last edited:

Channan

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
If been reading up on various matters and decided that it might be better to wait.

My main reason why a second phone was mainly to try a Samsung s7 as my primary phone for a while. I love the amoled screen and the overall package.

But a lot of owners comments on many issues ranging from battery life still not being quite as good, antennae reception, various operational issues, etc leads me to believe getting the s7 right now isn't quite the time.

Is there a minimum number of calls, etc each month that I would have to make to keep the Ringplus plan active once I sign up?
I have a Galaxy S7 Edge that I use as my main phone and an iPhone SE I use on RingPlus. The battery life on the SE is a little better, but I have no issues getting at least 4 hours SOT on my Galaxy S7 Edge. Typically I get about 5, and occasionally get up to 6, but never less than 4. I'm happy with that. Best battery life I've ever had on an Android phone.

And you just need to make one call every month to keep the service.

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
I don't understand why nobody else is using this plan. Lol

Later today they're going to offer a plan with 4000 text, 4000 minutes, and 4000MB of data for free every month. 3.9GB of free data every month. I can't get over that. I'm gonna have to try to buy another SIM card somewhere to get this plan on another old phone.

Wtf man, I have an ATT 6s that's been unlocked which Ring+ says will work when I do their IMEI check...then, when I select the plan and go to register it tells me:

"There was a problem activating your account.
Device could not be activated: 990004007 - No paired ICCID available for the ESN **********************."

Edit: looks like I was just being an idiot and didn't realize my GoPhone SIM has an ICCID # attached to it which is obviously incompatible with RingPlus's service.

Wonder where I can get a compatible Sprint SIM fast enough?

Last edited:

Channan

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
Wtf man, I have an ATT 6s that's been unlocked which Ring+ says will work when I do their IMEI check...then, when I select the plan and go to register it tells me:

"There was a problem activating your account.
Device could not be activated: 990004007 - No paired ICCID available for the ESN **********************."

Grrrrr :mad:

Any ideas? Checking out slickdeals thread but it's a bit of a cluster**** of information right now :(

Edit: looks like my GoPhone SIM has an ICCID # attached to it which is obviously incompatible with RingPlus's service.

Wonder where I can get a compatible Sprint SIM fast enough?
I know Best Buy sells Sprint SIMs. You can call them and ask if they have the right one. You need SIMGLW436C for an iPhone 6s. If you can't get to Best Buy quickly or they don't have it, just order the SIM from RingPlus and you'll be guaranteed the plan when you finally get the SIM and add a line. Here's the one you need:

https://store.ringplus.net/SIMGLW436C_p_22.html

Reactions: Hal~9000

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
I know Best Buy sells Sprint SIMs. You can call them and ask if they have the right one. You need SIMGLW436C for an iPhone 6s. If you can't get to Best Buy quickly or they don't have it, just order the SIM from RingPlus and you'll be guaranteed the plan when you finally get the SIM and add a line. Here's the one you need:

https://store.ringplus.net/SIMGLW436C_p_22.html

Thank you <3

Do I just leave the my ICCID # blank then when registering my account? (and then fill it in later once I have the RingPlus SIM card) Or will that cause issues later on?

Edit: Nevermind, got to Best Buy and got a Sprint SIM to lock in the 4000 plan with RingPlus. Kind of crazy to get this much data every month for free :eek:

Last edited:
Reactions: Channan

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
I am so tempted to sign up my kid for this plan. He has an iPhone 6 and it isn't activates. He just uses it on wifi. I really don't have him to have an activated phone but it is hard to pass up free! Must resist!!

Channan

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
Thank you <3

Do I just leave the my ICCID # blank then when registering my account? (and then fill it in later once I have the RingPlus SIM card) Or will that cause issues later on?

Edit: Nevermind, got to Best Buy and got a Sprint SIM to lock in the 4000 plan with RingPlus. Kind of crazy to get this much data every month for free :eek:
I'm jealous. Lol

I'm still on the Phoenix plan with my iPhone SE, which is 3000 minutes, 2750 texts, and 2750MB of data, but I did order another SIM card for my Moto X that I'll use to sign up for the Cheerful (4000) plan. But I'm going to have to wait a month or so to transfer that plan to my iPhone.

I am so tempted to sign up my kid for this plan. He has an iPhone 6 and it isn't activates. He just uses it on wifi. I really don't have him to have an activated phone but it is hard to pass up free! Must resist!!
Well that plan isn't available anymore. The best free plan they have now is 1500 minutes, texts, and MB, but I'd wait for a better plan to become available.

Last edited:

Channan

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
RingPlus is offering some pretty awesome upgrades from Thursday night until Friday night. There is a one-time upgrade fee to switch to two of the new plans.

All members can upgrade to the Cool Breeze plan (2,500 minutes/texts/MB) for $25. Top up is $30 if and when your balance reaches $0. Optional tethering is $13/month.

Member+ lines have two options.

One is the Blissful plan (5,000 minutes/texts/MB) for $15. Top up is also $30. Optional tethering is $10/month.

The other is the Infinity plan (unlimited minutes/texts with 500MB of full speed data and unlimited data at 64kbps after that) with no upgrade fee. Top up is $10. Tethering is included for the first 500MB.

Lifetime Member+ can be had for $20/month for 8 months ($160 total) or $120 up front. If I didn't have the Cheerful plan (4,000 minutes/texts/MB) coming, I'd probably get Member+ and that Blissful plan. When all is said and done, you're looking at a $160 one-time fee ($25 top up with TF2 plan, $120 for M+, and $15 to upgrade to Blissful) for 5,000 minutes and texts and almost 5GB of data every month, with the option for hotspot at only $10/month.

If you don't want to spend that much, the Cool Breeze plan is still a really good option. Just a $25 upgrade fee and you get half of the Blissful plan.

Channan

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
I picked it up for him and will show him what I paid because he is going to insist on paying for it lol. If he doesn't want it I now have a backup. At this price if he doesn't take it I'll know he's not only being cheap, he just doesn't want a mobile phone. There's no way he would come close to using the data or texts and probably not even the minutes (though admittedly i don't rightly know how much he calls). This is potentially a money saver for him if he can cut his landline costs.

Thank you again for the tip. :)
Just curious what ever happened with this. Did your uncle wind up using R+?

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Just curious what ever happened with this. Did your uncle wind up using R+?
Yep. I sent him the sims and he's got it set up. He now has a mobile
Number!

We did have to pay that bs fee to change a phone but such is life. He hasn't really reported how teception is around town, but it works in his home. He is considering getting rid of his $40 landline, though he thinks he doesn't want to lose the number.... Lol.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Word is though how long Ringplus can keep these plans in place.

Now that Sprint recently enforced 12 month rule and closed other loopholes that allow many BYOD to Ringplus ...these measures will be sure to impact Ringplus going forward.

Channan

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
Yep. I sent him the sims and he's got it set up. He now has a mobile
Number!

We did have to pay that bs fee to change a phone but such is life. He hasn't really reported how teception is around town, but it works in his home. He is considering getting rid of his $40 landline, though he thinks he doesn't want to lose the number.... Lol.
Well like I said, the device swap fee is just taken out of your top up, so unless he plans on using MMS or ever goes over his allotment of texts/minutes/MB, that money is just going to sit there being unused anyway.

Kind of sucks for me because I want to swap my iPhone and Moto X's plans, but I need a third SIM card and phone to do it, and it's going to cost me $6 when any other carrier would just allow you to swap the SIM cards.

Word is though how long Ringplus can keep these plans in place.

Now that Sprint recently enforced 12 month rule and closed other loopholes that allow many BYOD to Ringplus ...these measures will be sure to impact Ringplus going forward.
Even if they drop the plans or go out of business in a year, 4000MB of data each month for only $48 (including the $15 SIM card) is a really good deal. That's only $4 a month.

But RingPlus is constantly offering better and better free plans as time goes on, so I'd say they must be doing okay.

And the new rule is only for using prepaid phones on other MVNOs. If you have a post-paid Sprint phone or any compatible phone from another network, you're unaffected.

Reactions: lordofthereef

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Well like I said, the device swap fee is just taken out of your top up, so unless he plans on using MMS or ever goes over his allotment of texts/minutes/MB, that money is just going to sit there being unused anyway.
Ah ok. I thought that I would get billed the full price again the following month once the system seed I have less than the full dollar amount in my cash pool. So I could theoretically change devices a dozen times before id have to pay again. Good to know!

He definitely won't be using mms but I went ahead and disabled anyway. He won't even be using data, I don't think. All I really wanted was a line for him to make phone calls when he is out and about. Again he just hit 80, still drives, and doesn't care to own a cell phone because he thinks they're too expensive.

At some point I think he will get into iMessage But maybe he not. He's as stubborn as they come haha.

Channan

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
Ah ok. I thought that I would get billed the full price again the following month once the system seed I have less than the full dollar amount in my cash pool. So I could theoretically change devices a dozen times before id have to pay again. Good to know!

He definitely won't be using mms but I went ahead and disabled anyway. He won't even be using data, I don't think. All I really wanted was a line for him to make phone calls when he is out and about. Again he just hit 80, still drives, and doesn't care to own a cell phone because he thinks they're too expensive.

At some point I think he will get into iMessage But maybe he not. He's as stubborn as they come haha.
Oh, yeah. No. You only get charged when your account reaches $0. Then you will get charged another $29 auto top up. As long as your account has a positive balance, you'll never get charged anything.

Reactions: lordofthereef
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.