Ring's Video Doorbell 2 Brings Battery-Powered 1080p Video Security to Your Front Door

Discussion in 'Guides, How Tos and Reviews' started by MacRumors, Dec 21, 2017.

1. NoImage macrumors newbie

NoImage

In the case of the Ring Doorbells, it has to access the cloud to store the videos. Also so you can remotely monitor it when not home. Same thing with the thermostats. You CAN use an internal WiFi network, but then you’re not getting most of the functionality.

2. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

I purchased my Ring 2 on Black Friday, only just got around to installing it. Super easy and love it!

What is annoying is for some reason, rather the joining the Wifi router 6ft from the door, its connecting to my router upstairs so is getting a weaker signal. Both are Airport Extremes, so suggestions welcome on a fix!

If you hardwire the Ring, the battery will trickle charge keeping it topped up. However, if you have a lot of motion outside your door (like a busy street/apartment hallway) it will be going off constantly and will use more power from the battery.

3. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

Thinking of getting one but keep reading that the lag between pressing the bell and video coming up can be so long that it simply catches people leaving. Is that true?

4. scouser75 macrumors 65816

I've also read that if you use battery power you can't access Live View. Is this correct?

5. dwaltwhit macrumors 6502

dwaltwhit

Ya know? You may be right. You have done the impossible: ask a thoughtful, genuine question on the internet and it not only made someone think, but changed their mind. I guess the only thing is futureproofing? Maybe in the future it will offer an appletv app to stream the video to the tv?

6. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Got a pair on sale on Black Friday. Previously had some no brand things that my husband picked up on the cheap. Much happier with the Ring.

Some people are impatient. I've gotten to the door physically to see someone's back.

Don't know about that, but it's very easy to hook them into your existing doorbell, not just for the sound, but for the power.

7. Rocketman macrumors 603

Rocketman

Since I plan to at least try this out with the full boat plan I will be curious to see if it lives up to any of the claims. We're talking a fairly major commitment for a house with multiple entry points.

8. B4U macrumors 68020

B4U

I am not looking to hardwire the thing, just battery alone might not be best idea in my area's winter that is constantly below the freezing mark.

9. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

Was going to get this but might wait to see how the Nest Hello is reviewed. Really do want to get a video doorbell sooner rather than later.

10. nsayer macrumors 6502a

nsayer

They do that so that the video can be stored off-premesis. If I were a burglar the first thing I'd steal (or destroy) is a video surveillance system.

Well, in Ring's case, it's because they're being paid. It's $3/camera/month.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 22, 2017 ---
    The trouble is that Nest == Google, and Google has been shown time and time again to be completely untrustworthy.

11. convergent macrumors 68030

convergent

My suggestion is get rid of the Airport Extremes. I had them for years and that was one of the things I hated... my devices were constantly stuck on the wrong one with a weak signal. Have Netgear Orbi now and it has been fast and trouble free.

12. scouser75 macrumors 65816

Goodness me! I was all ready to mount my Doorbell 2 today having set it up 2 weeks ago. And all of a sudden it wouldn't work! I'd press the bell and nothing! I kept trying and eventually it would connect but with a 20 second delay before I got notified on my phone. Connection was "good" according to the app. Download was 50mbps. Upload was 7mbps.

Eventually after ages of faffing, it seems to be working OK. But now it's too dark to put it up! Hope this won't be an ongoing issue!

13. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Live View works on battery power just fine.

14. scouser75 macrumors 65816

My error. I tried again and it worked fine. I don't know why, but for some reason I thought I read somewhere that live view didn't work on battery power. I'm going mad in old age I think!

15. HQuest macrumors member

Back in Nebraska's below 0F winters, mine lasted 2-3 months, depending on how many alerts you receive. Although I had the Ring, not the Ring 2, this might give you some insight.

16. sunman42 macrumors newbie

I have the original Ring Doorbell, operating off battery power and Live View and voice chat is indeed only available for that model when wired, so this is an improvement.

The battery lifetimes may be realistic for southern California, but in places with real winters, the swappable battery packs are a great idea, as is the $49 optional solar charger mounting bracket (if you have a southward view in winter with no evergreens in the way). I have the (slightly different) solar charger bracket for my original Doorbell, and I only had to bring the unit inside for recharging once all winter — and boy, was it cold in Maryland this January. Without the solar charger, I had to remove the Doorbell and recharge it every three weeks or so during the winter, and every two and a half to three months the rest of the year. Since I got the solar bracket, it's only been that once, and my front door is pretty well shaded by deciduous trees in the summer.

If you, like I, use an AirPort Express for your home WiFi network(s), the Doorbell connects without issue, as does the Chime. The Chime Pro, which I had hoped to use as a bridge to improve signal strength at the front door, refuses to connect with an AirPort Express network, at either 2.4 or 5.5 GHz. I spent a happy half-hour on the phone with Ring customer support (mere customers are not allowed to speak directly with tech support) last year, and they were able to get the techies, eventually, to confirm that the Chime Pro Pro uses a different WiFi chipset than the Chime — go figure.

Despite the negative marks for battery lifetime, lack of live view and chat on battery, and the poor choice of WiFi chips for the Chime Pro, I really like knowing if it's worth hoofing it down two flights of stairs on my six decade-old knees or not (that is, is it a package, possibly with perishables inside, or a visit from the local Jehovah's Witnesses). My house is set back far enough from the street (about 15 feet) that I don't get false triggering from passing traffic.

My main concern now is that Ring's acquisition by Amazon may mean (1) poorer hardware and hardware support (based on the long list of failed Fire products) and (2) increased flow of very personal information to Amazon. If the only alternative is Nest, it's time for Apple to jump in, with both feet.