Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

locomien

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 29, 2007
Okay so I know I can buy ringtones from itunes next week or make them from ones I've bought already, but what about songs I didn't buy through ituens? Like say I ripped a cd into itunes, will I be able to make ringtones from those? and if so, is it still 99cents??? Arghh I'm still outraged I can't use mp3 ringtones that I can easily make in audacity or something.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Okay so I know I can buy ringtones from itunes next week or make them from ones I've bought already, but what about songs I didn't buy through ituens? Like say I ripped a cd into itunes, will I be able to make ringtones from those? and if so, is it still 99cents??? Arghh I'm still outraged I can't use mp3 ringtones that I can easily make in audacity or something.

from what I've read, you can't convert mp3's or any other songs into ringtones with iTunes. Only select songs from the iTunes store and that costs $.99.

To covert anything you want, you have to go to the shareware ringtone apps or freeware ones.

arn

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
This is yet another limitation of DRM that only affects honest buyers. What if a local band has a song that I want to use as a ringtone? Can't do that unless you use the alternative methods of putting ringtones on your iPhone. All because the RIAA wants to "crack down" on piracy and get all the money they can from royalties ... yet they affect no one but honest buyers.

Not one song in my iTunes library is from a CD I own or from the iTunes Music Store. Not one of my ringtones that I've had on my phone for over a month now is from a legitimate source. It doesn't affect me one bit, yet Joe blow who just wants to put a song he has on a CD that he bought as a ringtone is not allowed to do so.

Way to go, RIAA. You win this round. This will surely stop piracy dead in its tracks.

Sobe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2007
Wash DC suburbs
This is yet another limitation of DRM that only affects honest buyers. What if a local band has a song that I want to use as a ringtone? Can't do that unless you use the alternative methods of putting ringtones on your iPhone. All because the RIAA wants to "crack down" on piracy and get all the money they can from royalties ... yet they affect no one but honest buyers.

Not one song in my iTunes library is from a CD I own or from the iTunes Music Store. Not one of my ringtones that I've had on my phone for over a month now is from a legitimate source. It doesn't affect me one bit, yet Joe blow who just wants to put a song he has on a CD that he bought as a ringtone is not allowed to do so.

Way to go, RIAA. You win this round. This will surely stop piracy dead in its tracks.

No but it is a nice way to make those of us who buy stuff subsidize those who don't.

Would it kill ya to buy some music?

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
No but it is a nice way to make those of us who buy stuff subsidize those who don't.

If iTunes sold lossless DRM-free tracks for $.99/ea then I would consider it. I won't buy anything that has DRM, and I won't buy lossy compressed audio either...

jecapaga

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2007
Southern California

I look forward to seeing the ringtone option of all the tunes i have purchased off itunes. 500,000 or so SJ said was available or so? So if i purchased a song in the past i should have the option of a .99 cent ringtone option show up.

Sobe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2007
Wash DC suburbs
I look forward to seeing the ringtone option of all the tunes i have purchased off itunes. 500,000 or so SJ said was available or so? So if i purchased a song in the past i should have the option of a .99 cent ringtone option show up.

Me too. I'm not exactly sure what their time table is on this though. Anyone have some firm information?

JBaker122586

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007
I'm sure those 500,000 are on a per label/imprint basis.
For instance, don't be surprised if your Universal music doesn't work...

joshysquashy

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2005
UK
Surely you can drag and drop some music you already have, unprotected and it will be made into a ringtone? or perhaps there will be a workarround for this to work?

can't believe they would cripple it like that, or perhaps i can :confused:.

earnjam

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
North Carolina
Just use iToner. It's simple and works well.

I have a bunch of music from unsigned bands and live performances that I would love to use as ringtones. Plus, I'm not paying another $.99 to shorten a song...that's rubbish.

That's like paying for a book again, just so you can use a quote on your Facebook profile.

I feel like we're only renting music.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.