Ringtones

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Malamutt, Jul 13, 2007.

1. Malamutt macrumors regular

Given we can now do ringtones! Can we start a new thread and does anyone have a place were I can dump the 20 I have already done?

2. XSF macrumors newbie

did an update come out? I didn't know we could do ringtones yet... :confused:

3. sonictonic macrumors 6502a

No update yet. This is "unofficial" and somewhat complicated IMO. I also think it's not worth it. Personally I think it's refreshing to have simple elegant ringtones (well, except "Alarm" and the Dog barking one, lol), as opposed to the obnoxious MP3's people put on their phones typically.

I like the Apple ones and am content. :)

4. loudestnoise macrumors 6502

loudestnoise

I thought I was content too, but CTU24 makes for a great, simplistic and unique ringtone. Unique to other iPhone users at least!

5. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

Nothing quite "unique" about this ringtone. I hear it ALL the time now. Everyone hops on the newest trend, and this ring tone seems to be it.

6. alanisrox69 macrumors regular

I personally have to use Alarm as my ringtone....

Marimba isn't quite loud enough when the phone is in my pocket.

I have no Mac pc's to even attempt the custom ringtone. But I would love to do it....hopefully a PC version is on it's way :)

Gotta send my phone back anyways because of the battery/pixel issue. So maybe the new one will be louder. I don't have a problem with the earpiece volume, but the ringtone volume and speakerphone is a joke. iPod music plays loud, but crackly in my opinion.

Maybe my new one will be better. *shrug*.

7. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

I would totally settle for a ringtone I could hear in general or any system sounds that didn't have to be right next to my eardrum to catch. Forget about catching a txt message from someone or assigning a ringtone specific to tasks. The alarm tone is clearly the loudest and most obnoxious unfortunately. Feels like an episode of Lost but not sure I want that while waking up.

8. PokezoN macrumors member

9. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

Funny

Not going to do the ring tones until someone makes it a lot easier and safer... but those guys were funny... :D

10. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

LMAO! Seems easy enough, just make sure you type stuff right and follow the instructions.

11. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

aww yeah stickin it to the man! That'll show those guys at Apple who they're dealin' with.

12. sonofpismo macrumors regular

sonofpismo

Ringtone hack...

I used the "hack" to install my own ringtones.

It works as advertises with no surprises IF you follow the directions exactly.
    And the iPhone is a piece of cake to restore and re-sync if there are any issues.

And Yes, I have a "CTU - 24" ringer installed!

p.s.
    Custom ringtones are louder, and of course one could increase the volume of Apple's own ringtones and copy those back over as well.

13. Malamutt thread starter macrumors regular

The 7 step directions that were posted are easier to follow. I did find that if you do not follow the first step that you can also get into the DCIM folder which appears to be a second partition on the drive.

I did not put the CTU.mp3 on my phone just in case Apple decided to do a search during a update and crunch the phone out of spite if the CTU.mp3 file was there. Call me paranoid.

14. alanisrox69 macrumors regular

Yeah, but not everyone has an Intel Mac to do that hack on.......

this is my first ever Apple product.

So far, it's not looking good (as noted in another thread, battery won't charge to 100% and dead pixels all over the screen - and 1800MYAPPLE didn't make the swap out as easy as they could've).

-Derek-

15. sblasl macrumors 6502a

sblasl

One more thing that Apple will be faulted for, "I can't hack my iPhone to put on ringtones. Apple should provide everyone with an Intel mac if they don't have one.":rolleyes:

16. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Apple wont do that! From about a year of being in the PSP hacking scene, not even Sony did that, and they HATED all the hackers. And scince Apple is so much better im sure they wont do that, the most they will do is delete it or stop it from working in a update. Your also forgetting what happened with the Apple TV hacking, Apple just let them at it.

17. alanisrox69 macrumors regular

18. yayaba macrumors 6502

Ugh everytime I see idk I think of that Cingular commercial, "idk my bff jill"

19. badtzmaru macrumors 6502

the windows instructions are very easy. the hardest part was downloading the iphone software package.

20. opticalserenity macrumors 6502a

HAHAHA! Thats awesome, I rather enjoyed that commercial ;)

21. Krevnik macrumors 68030

Krevnik

Yay?

Personally, I prefer to pick some obscure track and take the bridge from it to make a ringtone. I have a couple tracks from Assemblage 23 that I use, and they work pretty well. I haven't heard anyone with the same tone (makes it easier to know it is mine), and haven't gotten any "WTF was /that/?" glances from anyone yet.

22. bijanm macrumors member

if anyone is looking for pre-made ringers for the iphone, feel free to look at my website.

http://bijanm.googlepages.com/iphone

i have uploaded a dozen or so, and am in the process of creating more. also taking requests, so just let me know what you want, and ill upload it for you.

23. Malamutt thread starter macrumors regular

bijanm sent you a private message with access to my ringtones I have done. Can you put them on your page?

24. bijanm macrumors member

webpage has been updated with your ringtones. i also added a few more i just created. :)