Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Malamutt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
FYI. While the names I have used for my files have been tested you can change them but I don't know the maximum lenght of the name you can use so I have been cautious not to use really long names and I did read something about NOT using numbers in the name of the file. Anyone else know the answer to the above?

lilnyc

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
No update yet. This is "unofficial" and somewhat complicated IMO. I also think it's not worth it.

I agree that it's not worth it. Not only is is hella-complicated, but it's a hack that can ruin the iPhone and void the warranty. No thanks! :eek:

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
I'd give it a few days until they get a take-down letter. I doubt there will be a lawsuit.

I agree that it's not worth it. Not only is is hella-complicated, but it's a hack that can ruin the iPhone and void the warranty. No thanks! :eek:

Actually, it can't ruin the iPhone. People have deleted every file on the iPhone, and it restores back to normal perfectly.

I put a few ringtones on my phone. To me, it's not a cell phone unless it rings with the Benny Hill theme song. :D

You can download it here: http://content.ytmnd.com/content/b/a/7/ba77336d3667ae04571edf39ed990386.mp3

Malamutt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
Wonder how long till the RIAA serves this guy with a lawsuit for copyright infringement...

Question really is how many did you download before you realized that until Apple comes out with a update this was your only course of action when it came to ringtones?

:apple:

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
Yes, but the big question is ... how do I replace the SMS ring tone. Has anyone figured this out yet ?

Man, I hope Apple fixes this soon ...

Taken from http://www.hacktheiphone.com/iphone_ringtone_installation.html

If you would also like to replace system sounds follow the instructions within this bordered area, otherwise skip to Step 12 to continue with ringtone replacement.

These instructions were contributed by "Christian" "Ksilebo", and "TkN". For the ultimate in customization, you can follow these steps to change your system sounds for new mail, new sms, new voicemail, et cetera. Remember you will be updating the system sounds, you can always restore them with a full restore or one by one by using the backups in the 39.dmg file.

The default system files in /System/Library/Audio/UISounds
alarm.caf
dtmf-2.caf
beep-beep.caf
dtmf-0.caf
dtmf-1.caf
dtmf-3.caf
dtmf-4.caf
dtmf-5.caf
dtmf-6.caf
dtmf-7.caf
dtmf-8.caf
dtmf-9.caf
dtmf-pound.caf
dtmf-star.caf
lock.caf
long_low_short_high.caf
low_power.caf
mail-sent.caf
middle_9_short_double_low.caf
new-mail.caf
photoShutter.caf
ReceivedMessage.caf
RingerChanged.caf
SentMessage.caf
short_double_high.caf
short_double_low.caf
short_low_high.caf
SIMToolkitCallDropped.caf
SIMToolkitGeneralBeep.caf
SIMToolkitNegativeACK.caf
SIMToolkitPositiveACK.caf
SIMToolkitSMS.caf
sms-received.caf
Tink.caf
Tock.caf
unlock.caf
ussd.caf
Voicemail.caf

Step 11a. Choose a file, convert it to .aif using QuickTime and rename the .aif to .caf. The .caf sould have the exact same name as the system file you are trying to replace (i.e. yourCustom.aif becomes new-mail.caf).

Step 11b. Put the new .caf file in the phonedmg folder used earlier.

Step 11c. In the Terminal type: putfile /System/Library/Audio/UISounds/.caf Then press the enter key.

timotheezz

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2007
New Jersey
PowerBook?

Hey, I've read somewhere that this hack only works specifically on Intel Macs.

Has ANYONE got it to work on any PowerPC Macs?

I have a 2.5 year old PowerBook G4.

Thanks!

timotheezz

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2007
New Jersey
Happened to be at a friend's house who had a MacBook. Figured since I can always restore my iPhone in my PowerBook at home, I'd try the ringtone hack.

SUCCESS! It works. After downloading all the necessary materials, cropping my mp3's to a proper length, it took about 10 minutes to actually put the new ringtones in the iPhone.

1 problem: My other friend wanted to try after I did mine successfully. It worked. HOWEVER! He also wanted to change the incoming text sound, voicemail sound, and email sound. There are instructions for this as well, but I couldn't get it to work.

Other than that, it worked flawlessly. Having new ringtones is awesome. My roommate has one as well. Tomorrow, I'm gonna tell him "I can't find my phone. Can you call it?" Haha!

Malamutt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
I haven't changed my assigned tones yet but I am thinking about doing that tomorrow anyone else had luck with this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.