RIP chamferrd edge..

eneisch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
I will not miss the chamfered edges. My iPhone 5 is in great condition except for some small nicks in the chamfered edge. I think it was a poor design from the start. If you remember, the iPhone 5 launch was marred by reports of the edges being damaged out of the box. I much prefer the rounded edges of the leaked iPhone 6 design.

markyr17

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2010
I will not miss the chamfered edges. My iPhone 5 is in great condition except for some small nicks in the chamfered edge. I think it was a poor design from the start. If you remember, the iPhone 5 launch was marred by reports of the edges being damaged out of the box. I much prefer the rounded edges of the leaked iPhone 6 design.
Agree on the iPhone 5 front, however when they got to the 5s, the chipping and scratching is MUCH less of an issue.

1080p

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
What do you expect? Aluminum is a very soft metal. I am an aerospace machinist. We cut hard metals like inconel alloys daily... and we use aluminum for work holding because it is softer than the material it is holding and and will not leave tool marks on the workpiece material.

Jstuts5797

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2013
I'll be glad to see them gone, rounded edges are much more comfortable. My sister has a 5C and it feels so much more comfy using it than my 5s

techspin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2014
What do you expect? Aluminum is a very soft metal. I am an aerospace machinist. We cut hard metals like inconel alloys daily... and we use aluminum for work holding because it is softer than the material it is holding and and will not leave tool marks on the workpiece material.
Cool, can you reinforce my 5S to make it indestructible? :cool:

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
I like the chamfered edges, but yes, they are very prone to damage, and for me they also get kind of dirty and they are extremely hard for me to clean.

*~Kim~*

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2013
UK
RIP to the straight sides on the 4/4s. I can't believe how many marks my 5s has on it given that it's been in a case the whole time and removed only occasionally when changing the screen protector.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Indeed you will be!
I know right... RIP chamfered edge bruh

RIP standing your phone up on flat surfaces :(
LULZ yup that too :(

----------

uhm my 5 and 5s were perfect... :rolleyes:

kmj2318

macrumors 68000
Aug 22, 2007
Naples, FL
I'm surprised it's going away. I was expecting basically a smaller iPad. It makes me wonder if the iPad will also eschew them. Looking back on the iPad Air/Mini and iPhone 5/5s, will all that polishing look silly and gaudy? The "jewelery era" is what we'll call it.

Sugadaddy

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2010
My iPhone 5 had nicks on the edges when I received it new in the box, and it's gotten a few more even though I always use a case.

So yeah, good riddance. :D

eoblaed

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2010
I don't know what people do to their phones, but 5 and my 5S are still in pristine condition, chamfered edges and all.

No, I don't use a case, I like the way the phone feels in my hand. I just keep it in a pocket by itself (no keys, change, headphones, receipts, anything), don't set it on hard surfaces, and I don't drop it. I figure if people stopped tossing their phone around like it was a lego toy, it'd hold up better?

I'll miss the chamfered edges as well, though I'm sure I'll love the 6 just as much in its own right. :)

rockitdog

macrumors 68020
Mar 25, 2013
I'm not a fan of the rounded edges on what we are seeing in leaks. I thing the clean cut edges give the phone a classy look.

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2012
Completely agree . . . Apple got it wrong with the 5.

scottsjack

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2010
Arizona

you will be missed :(
Not by me. I bought an iPhone 3GS instead of a 4 because of that ugly metal edge. Last year I replaced the 3GS with a 5c. I would have paid 5S money if the 5S had a rounded body, even a plastic one like either the 3GS or the 5C.

I smooth, rounded body and 128GB storage will definitely throw me under the iPhone 6 bus.