RIP: Fred L. Shuttlesworth

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Negritude, Oct 6, 2011.

1. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Notice the enormous interest in the death of a leader in the civil rights movement. :rolleyes:

That being said, and in all fairness to the members on this site, this is a tech oriented, Mac-centric forum. It is not a general news site, so Jobs death would understandably be of more interest.

This thread would perhaps generate more response on PRSI. Unfortunately, you do not yet have enough posts to access PRSI. (You need 100 posts).

Thank you for opening this thread...:)

2. japanime macrumors 68000

japanime

3. Hastings101 macrumors 68010

Hastings101

I admit I have never heard of him :(, must not have been paying enough attention to American History in high school, but it sounds like he was a great man from all the links you shared. Thanks for posting this

4. OCPRunsTheCops macrumors newbie

Oh please. Steve Jobs has had more impact on US society than Mr. Bigglesworth.

5. Shrink, Oct 13, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2011

Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Yup, working toward providing civil rights is far less important than selling stuff.

I don't question that Jobs is more famous, and rightfully recognized for his contributions to consumer electronics. He has certainly made an undeniably enormous impact.

However, spending one's life working for the betterment of others (in relative obscurity when compared to Jobs) does deserve attention and recognition.

Your incredibly thoughtless, uninformed, tasteless, and insensitive post is deserving of the strongest condemnation. The MR rules prohibit my stating my opinion of you.

Suffice it to say that your post is disgusting.

6. iJohnHenry, Oct 13, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2011

iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Who cares what he says? ;)

The dude has been here 5 1/2 years, and is still a newbie. :D

He has zero gravitas.

7. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

A sad day INDEED! I also thank the OP for bringing this to my attention. This actually has a more personal sadness to me! Without mentors like this I'd probably be dancing on centre stage for chump change and eating at the back of the restaurant (behind the kitchen) eating scraps thrown out by others ... seeing "nigre carricatures" still on cans, posters, newspapers (since I would not be educated enough to read; not likely since I couldn't be accepted to attend equal schools).

Sad days all behind sus.

8. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Are you a born Canadian, or are you an "import"?

Canadian Blacks did not have a pleasant time in the school system, but they were permitted to attend. And in some small towns this still continues.

A recently passed friend came from Underground Railroad stock, in New Brunswick, and, although he was harassed as the only Black in his school, he did succeed.

9. seidelhd macrumors newbie

How weird that I would find this out on the MacRumors website. I had the honor and privilege of being Rev. Shuttleworth's primary care doctor in Cincinnati from 1999-2001 my first years out of Residency.

I initially did not know of his importance, as he was very understated and very humble. He was a great man and the more I learned about him, the more respect I had for him and what he did. He is one of the understated heroes of the Civil Rights Movement who made an impact nonetheless.

I was honored to know him and work with him.
    Thanks for the info! I'm off to read your links and look at websites from Cincinnati that probably detail his life.

10. Roller macrumors 68020

I just came across this thread. Needless to say, Rev. Shuttlesworth's passing has received a great deal of attention here in Birmingham, AL. Our airport is named after him, and his statue stands outside the Birmingham Civil Rights Institute. I had the good fortune to meet Rev. Shuttlesworth several years ago and was saddened at his passing. Thanks to the OP for posting.

11. Bonch macrumors 6502

Bonch

He's just saying what everyone except a handful of minorities is thinking.

And a life spent posting on a dumb internet forum is nothing to be proud of.

What do you think Shuttlesworth's post count would be on this forum?

12. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

I was born here in Toronto. My parents are from Jamiaca, my heritage is Jamaican and Cuban ... I do have some Irish relatives in the bloodline .. all are loved and respected.

I didn't know this still is occuring yet I haven't travelled too far north/east/west out of the city .. .but when I do go beyond the city, in the past I did notice quite a few odd looks.

I'm just so glad we've evolved, mostly. It just seems with every war there is a new scapegoat for race looked down upon.

13. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Oh please. Do you think Steve Jobs would have minded in the slightest way that Mr. Shuttlesworth is mentioned here? Not being American, and not knowing as much about the USA and fight for equal rights in the 50's and 60's as the average American should know, I googled for his name, found many things of interest, and I can only say "respect" to the man. Apple did this "Think Different" ad campaign, and Fred Shuttlesworth would have fit right in.

14. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

So are we now on a crusade to gauge the legitimacy of the reaction to Steve Jobs' death against the reaction (or non-reaction) to other notable deaths?

Let's put the moral compass away, folks.

15. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Not your call.