Rip It takes a long time to convert video for iPad!!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by solidsnake32292, Mar 26, 2012.

1. solidsnake32292 macrumors regular

So I downloaded the program "Rip It" and it's taking a very long time to rip and convert video to work with the iPad... I don't know what to do, my MacBook has been on for over 15 hours converting the video it's from a tv show series DVD its disk 1 that I am still on and their are about 12 episodes and it's taking so long.... How do I get it so I only want each episode to be good quality but only about 200-300mb? I don't want the files to be 1.3gb or more so can anyone help me out?

Thanks!

2. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

Try Handbrake. They have presets for every different Apple device and the file sizes will match accordingly to what device you choose

3. solidsnake32292 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I tried handbrake which took just as long... It makes all the episodes into one file that was like 6gb and it was all distorted and just didn't work which is why I tried rip it.... Is their a way to fix this? Any help would really be helpful I have been trying this for 2 days now with no success....

Thanks

4. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

You don't have to have the one big file. Within Handbrake to can choose to rip the episodes individually. Que them up and then rip them. There really isn't a way to make it go faster depending on what kind of mac you have. My old macbook would take about 1.5x the length of the movie to finish ripping. My new MBP takes about 30 mins to rip a movie thats 90-120 mins.

5. solidsnake32292 thread starter macrumors regular

Where on handbrake? Could you write down a few steps for me cause I'm not sure why but having trouble figuring this thing out just wanna get all seperate episode files and make them the smallest size posit but still good quality.

Thank again

6. elmo151 Guest

+1

give it a start and go watch a movie

7. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Encoding a long video is a compute-intensive process. On a laptop, it will be a slow process. Depending on your settings and the source material, it can take several hours.

8. Buildbright macrumors 6502a

This is another reason I have a desktop PC as a workhorse. It takes me less than 5mins from rip to encode.

9. jman240 macrumors 6502a

http://www.macworld.com/article/1157590/how_to_rip_dvd_handbrake.html

Also, how fast / slow is the computer you're using to do the ripping? Newer processors are much faster at ripping and encoding.

10. solidsnake32292 thread starter macrumors regular

Well I have a intel core 2 duo, late 08' MacBook pro....8 gb ram and 500gb hd.... So yeah it's taking quite a while but is there anyone who can guide me on exactly what settings and where I can put them to so that it will be the most efficient way of ripping it and converting it to make it play on my new iPad.... And so that it makes them all individual episode... Greatly appreciated... I have a 32gb 4G iPad I wanna be able to fit as man episodes as I can without taking up too much room

Thanks

11. poloponies macrumors 68030

On the main Handbrake window, once you've selected the Source it selects what's presumed to be the primary title on the DVD in the "title" drop-down menu. For a TV series it will usually select a mega-file of all episodes on the disk. Click on the drop-down to see individual episodes then rename each in the destination window, adding them to the queue in succession:

e.g.

Select first episode in list, rename to "Real Housewives Episode 1", then click "add to queue." Select next on list, rename to "... Episode 2"...

12. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

May I suggest using AVPlayerHD or similar. Plays almost every video format so no need to convert. Also, make sure when ripping you decode the whole DVD to the hard drive first and then convert the vob files.

13. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

the OP wants to be able to store as many TV episodes as possible on the ipad and being that it's an entire season, he's going to need to down-rip them to conserve space.

avplayerhd isn't going to help him in that respect.

14. Pared macrumors 65816

This is useless - for all anyone knows it could take the OP the same amount of time. He's talking about the actual encoding taking a while.

And your comment is hardly noteworthy - you can do the same exact thing with Handbrake.

15. solidsnake32292 thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm ok thanks a lot guys! I'm going to try out HandBreak again and hope it works and post back... Really hope it does as Rip It just finished and 6 episodes are together in one file and 4 are seperate and 2 don't even work
    Ugh what a mess

16. solidsnake32292 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok so hand brake finally worked and it didn't even take that long either! Bad news is that most of the videos came out all jittery and the color is distorted and their just unwatchable... Any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks again.... Just getting so frustrated already I follow all of the steps given earlier and it's still messed up ugh

17. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Maybe you guys make fun of my bad English....
    I tried handbrake for the last two days to rip it with closed caption but it does not work with iPad with English closed caption. How?

18. brand macrumors 601

brand

He is going to need to re-encode or compress not down-rip. I'm not even sure if down-rip is a word.

Mentioning the steps you tried that did not work might make it easier to help you.

19. OCJeff macrumors regular

SlySoft CloneDVD Mobile

I use and love SlySoft's CloneDVD Mobile program.

Lots of flexibility on size and speed. Quality is good for mobile devices with good speed.

20. Buildbright macrumors 6502a

Actually if you knew anything about computers. You would understand that I was refering to the fact I have a fast desktop that I use as a work horse for encoding. For some tasks its cheaper and easier to use a PC.

21. ano0oj macrumors 6502

Is there a player for iPad that supports mkv?

Otherwise I better start converting my 720p rips

22. solidsnake32292 thread starter macrumors regular

Anyone have any ideas on why the videos are becoming all distorted and messed up?? They skip and I can't watch them any help please??

23. Pared, Mar 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2012

Pared macrumors 65816

Your comment was about ripping to encode. You can do the same given the time on "non-PC." NOW you want to bring costs and knowledge "of computers?

Yeah, you're all over the place. This a waste of my time arguing your ridiculous comment. Enjoy your bliss.

24. Chewbz macrumors newbie

25. MarkG21 macrumors regular

What pre-set are you using in hand brake?

And just curious, are you ripping from a DVD or Blu Ray?

What are you more concerned about? File sizes or quality. If you want lower file sizes (200-300mb), you will definitely sacrifice video quality. If you want good PQ, the file will be much bigger.

Also, how long are the videos you want to convert? 22, 30,42, 60 minutes?