RIP Macbook Air 11"

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by protoxx, Oct 27, 2016.

1. protoxx macrumors 6502a

protoxx

2. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

3. Pugly macrumors regular

Ah well it was nice while it lasted. What's the opposite of buyer's remorse... because that's what I have right now.

I bought an 11" last June, and I'm completely happy with this computer. (except for the large bezel... but I can live with this.) I was a bit concerned that an update would come along.

I almost wish I went with the Ultimate, because it would be great to have the best final MBA 11" ever made. As is I have to make due with the 256GB version (with 8GB and i7)... oh well.

I don't really know what Apple want's their Mac computers to be anymore. It's clear they want the casual use computer crowd to use an iPad. In just a few more years the iPad line will completely eclipse the MBA line in performance, if they even keep the 13" MBA around for much longer.

Ah well... Come on 11" 2015 MBA let's ride out this macOS train for 10 years you and me...:)

4. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

iPads. The touchbar is the first step in that direction. ;)

5. jimmirehman macrumors 6502

the 11inch MacBook air is the perfect size for ultimate portability. I don't see why Apple couldn't have made an 11inch in the new form factor for $999. its ridiculous.

6. DavidLynch macrumors 6502a

Why not the 12" rMB? It's smaller than the 11" MBA while still having a bigger, better display, so if ultimate portability is your goal, that seems the better option.

7. protoxx thread starter macrumors 6502a

protoxx

Look for a slug of 11" Airs in the refurb section. All the New Airs in the stores and pipeline will be repackaged and put out in the refurb section in the coming months.

I just wished that instead of keeping the 13" Air as is that they squeezed a borderless 13" screen in the 11" case. But then it would compete with the Macbook.

Maybe the 13" Air will hang around ignored and unloved like the Macbook pro with cd for years.

8. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I wish the rMB could have the price of the old MB Air 11.

9. sracer macrumors 604

sracer

That was my immediate thought too. The Touch Bar is Apple's dipping their toe into adding touch capabilities to macOS.

10. protoxx thread starter macrumors 6502a

protoxx

11. SusanK macrumors 68000

12. sracer macrumors 604

sracer

yes, for now. But I don't think it will stop there. I can see the trackpad being replaced with a retina touchpad that is basically an iPhone screen with 3D touch and haptic feedback.

13. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

Because its $400 more?! Its literally 45% more expensive than an 11" Air.

14. Daki macrumors member

Daki

I guess I will be holding onto my 2010 11" MacBook Air just a little bit longer.

15. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

I planned on updating my dying 2012 11" Air. Guess I won't be doing that either. Might end up swapping the battery and getting the trackpad fixed now. :/

16. Daki macrumors member

Daki

My 2010 is still chugging along with zero issues. It sometimes freezes for a few seconds when loading some websites, but overall is still awesome. My own issue is that my 50 year old eyes are starting to need a screen with better resolution :).

17. Savor Suspended

Savor

The good thing about laptops is it doesn't force us to update every couple of years so we can use it for a solid half decade and most of us don't mind buying refurbs. While smartphones is all about buying the newest ones and being completely OCD about every little detail.

I just got my 2015 "13 MBA which should last me well into the next decade. I don't think I would've gotten the "11. Best Buy had the "13 on sale last week and for $50 cheaper than the "11. So it was pretty much a no-brainer decision and the bigger one gets the 12h battery life compared to the 9h on the smaller MBA.

I studied MBA over two years ago because of the Haswell chip and didn't like that "11 size. Plus, I have a "10.1 ASUS anyway. I much prefer "13 as a bare minimum for a laptop since my previous ones were "15 but heavy. Streaming YouTube is much nicer on the bigger display with the 20%-25% better battery life to boot. Two to three hours more SOT can make all the difference in the world for me.

18. yahoodlums macrumors member

The writing was on the wall when the new retina Macbook was released.

It's a real shame, because the Air range made owning a Mac affordable. Let's hope the Macbook goes the way of the Air... starts out expensive and eventually becomes affordable for everyone. And that Apple add a couple of extra ports so no-one needs to buy ugly, unnecessary dongles.

19. Bel Marduk macrumors newbie

and at some point, they ditch core m and move to a competent processor.

I bought a Macbook Air 11' a few months ago, with the 2.2ghz. I'd do it again today over the Macbook.

20. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

Turns out that reports of the 11" MBA death are premature. Apple will still offer it to the education market. I guess nobody else needs an inexpensive powerful laptop...

21. kingdf macrumors regular

You can still get some decent deals at the refurb store for the 11". I had a rMBP for a good year then sold it to get a refurb 11" last year and have been enjoying it ever since. To me the size is perfect and it's a powerful little computer. I def intend on keeping it for years until it runs its course and by then I'll decide whether I will switch to a rMB or rMPB.

22. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I have the ultimate, - which was CTO in 2014 - 8 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, and Core i7.

It is easily the best computer I have ever had - light, fast, blazingly powerful, reliable, amazing battery life, - a fantastic computer, and one that has travelled - quite literally - the world with me and never given me a minute's trouble.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 28, 2016 ---
    Unfortunately, that is all too true.

Computing excellence and innovation is not how their money is made any longer.

23. sracer macrumors 604

sracer

I suspect that Apple will not actively offer it to the education market, but continue to make them available based on existing contracts.

I've owned my 11" MBA for 2.5 years and as time goes by I grow in my appreciation of it. It's been an amazing little workhorse. If I knew just how far this little guy could go, I would've bought one "maxed out".

Although it is gone from the Apple site, Best Buy still shows them in stock. Anyone considering an 11 should jump on one now.

24. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

There are Windows PCs in the same price range or less with similar specs. Apple has never been interested in selling Macbooks to the very budget conscious, which is why even though they certainly make a profit off of Macs, they never account for more than 10% of the personal computer market.

25. jimmirehman macrumors 6502

not in the $999