Ripping 400 Audio CD's?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by swwack91, Jul 11, 2007.

1. swwack91 macrumors 6502a

I'm looking to rip 400 audio CD's into my iTunes library quickly and already own an R-Quest TCP-7200 burner/duplicator/printer with its companion TrueNet software.

I think the easiest way to achieve the rip is to copy the disc image files from all of these audio discs onto the R-Quest's hard drive then copy those images over to my Mac for Automator to extract the audio tracks and import the files into iTunes.

I haven't been able to get the hardware to copy yet and there's not a mode dedicated to such use. Is there a workaround?

Does anyone else have the same hardware?

Thanks in advance!

2. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Just borrow a second Mac, set iTunes to import in AIFF format + eject automatically, and feed them CDs while you read MacRumors, say for an hour each day for a week. Getting the CDs out of their packaging and putting them back will take your time anyway. After every 50 CDs, convert to Apple lossless, add album art, fix whatever nonsense you find in the CD database, backup on DVDs, then convert to whatever format you actually wanted.

3. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    Ummm... Set iTunes to import at 320 AAC and stick them in one at a time? If you did an average of 4 a day, you'd only be done in 100 days. :D :p

It is a pity though that there isn't some sort of provision for this kind of situation in iTunes or somewhere in OS X. It makes perfect sense that a new Mac owner (or even an old Mac owner) would eventually want to go to an all digital music library and have several hundred CDs to bring over all at once...

Good luck!

4. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Yeah, spend 1 hour each day .... any more will rot your brain ... :eek:

5. Manzana macrumors 6502a

Manzana

I guess the first question to ask is if you have settled on a format and bitrate yet

if you already have the cd's is it theoretically necessary to import lossless as y0u own the lossless backups already?

if you have a fast mac just feed it cd's at aac 192kbps. i think you could do 10-20 cd's per hour. forget the artwork or errors for now...just be a rippin' machine. then after they're all in, relax, and go back later and while you're listening to your work you can add artwork and fix errors.

6. swwack91 thread starter macrumors 6502a

well see it's really for my business. a customer wanted to archive the 400 CD's onto an external HD and he wanted me to do it.

the only problem is automating the part of getting the discs in and out of the burner/ripper which the machine i have does....

it just won't store the disc images while doing a batch load....

7. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

If you are archiving, better to stick with MP3 as you don;t know what playback device will be required in the future. MP3 is more universal.

8. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Or better yet use Apple Lossless. It can be converted to FLAC or Monkey Audio using Max if in the future you need to transfer your music into a more widespread format but you have the advantage of keeping it in a lossless audio format.

9. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

But the iPod will be around forever!

10. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

Yes, And they will one day take over the world:p

You can just drag the files from the CD to the itunes library (on an external HD) and then convert them later.

11. swwack91 thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks for all the suggestions but the importing isn't what i need help with.

it's hardware specific. the R-Quest TCP-7200....

does anyone else have one and have a suggestion that enables the machine to rip a batch of CD's?

12. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

Hardware aside, you're probably better off to just set up your mbp in your living room with a stack of cds beside it and feed them through iTunes ejecting automatically. Every time you see one sticking out just remove it and put in the next. You will probably get through about 20 every evening. You could also maybe bring it into work and keep feeding them through.

A cd only takes a few minutes to do, so really you'd be wasting time to copy them to a drive before import.

13. swwack91 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well the plan was to put 220 discs at a time into the R-Quest's queue spindle and have it rip images off all the discs. After that was done, run some kind of Automator script to have iTunes read the images as discs and auto-import them all.

But I guess you're right. Thanks everyone.