Ripping a DVD Takes a Lifetime

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ntrigue, Jan 26, 2008.

1. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Eastern Promises. Love it - Own it - Want an AppleTV Compatible Digital File

Purchased VisualHub and select AppleTV - Go Nuts ... I basically don't want to regret my rip by choosing a lower quality...HDD space is not an issue ... keep files under 4Gb

Sceario A: Says "About 101 Minutes remaining for File 1" technically a 1.1x the time of watching the film.
    3+ hours later I drag to iTunes and the picture is scrambled and sound is whining and fragmented.
    Additionally, I spent 10 minutes to MetaX the tags and CoverArt

Scenario B: MactheRipper - 35 minutes I have a file on my Desktop
    Drag to VisualHub and again "About 101 Minutes remaining for File 1"
    2 hours have passed and it says "About 33 Minutes remaining for File 1"

Is this simply a reflection of processor speed?!

MBP C2D 2.33 - 4GB Crucial - No other Apps running

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

As you found, Visual Hub does not decrypt DVDs

Using MTR, then Visual Hub will work, but you have to tell MTR to extract just the main title. Then, use Visual Hub to do the compression.

I've found the fastest method is to use Handbrake. Most of the time, the presets work just fine, as is.

I also have a 2.33GHz MBP, and I seem to remember it taking around 1x to do the conversion (to the Apple TV preset).

3. ethernet76 macrumors 6502a

I'll also chime in for handbrake.

It's a little more confusing than other options, but it can rip and convert at good speeds.

4. DarkMCS macrumors newbie

I think Roxio Popcorn can do that too...

Just rip the DVD movie to you computer using MacTheRipper and then use Popcorn to convert it.

5. devguys.com macrumors newbie

Try using MacTheRipper. Google that term. Sweet little program.

6. sako7stw macrumors member

MTR is terrible! I have tried several movies that it wont do. This has me so mad I am about to take my brand new 24" $3000.00+ Imac and throw it in the street and run it over with my truck!!! If Mac is supposed to be the media king then why is there no software out there that easily rips DVD's like DVD Cloner IV and others that are out there for PC's? NEVER EVER had a problem with them. EVER!!! My PC got out of date so I thought I was upgrading to a mac and now I regret every penny spent on this shiny piece of junk! Since I own a copy of DVD Cloner IV I downloaded it with crossover and it wont work, BIG SURPRISE!! Then I see Roxio Toast 8 TI and it says it copies DVD's. NOPE NOT ENCRYPTED ONES! Yet more $$ wasted on this waste of space.

There has got to be something out there isn't there?

7. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

DVD ripping, Windows and Linux do the best, on Mac, sometimes can be difficult.

8. devguys.com macrumors newbie

Well there is a simple answer. GO BACK TO WINDOWS.

I have NEVER had a problem ripping DVD's from MTR, never. I think in this case your simply not reading the README. Thats what its there for...READ it or switch back to PC.

9. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Fairmount is another way to rip DVD Video. Mount with Fairmount and just drag the VIDEO_TS folder to your hard disc.

It uses VLC to decrypt, so is kept more up to date than MTR.

You can then use Handbrake, Toast, Popcorn etc. to compress the video

10. sako7stw macrumors member

So if I understand the fairmount description correctly, you open fairmount up and rips the DVD, then you transfer the Video TS file to VLC and it decrypt's it. Then would you need to use Toast or something like that to burn a new DVD? A few more steps there but hey if it works better than MTR then its worth it.

The reason I burn DVD's is not to resale or anything shady like that. I have kids and i got tired of them scratching up my DVD's, so now I make a copy and put the original in the closet and we only watch the copies. if it gets ruined, no biggy, just make another copy.

11. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

i doubt thats the case, mtr has more limitations when ripping more recent encrypted dvds, you didn't have problem does not mean others won't.

12. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

No, Fairmount mounts the DVD as a disc image. When you drag the VIDEO_TS folder to your hard drive, it just uses VLC in the background to decrypt on the fly. You can then burn it to a new DVD using Toast.

13. sako7stw macrumors member

Go get the movies Mr. Woodcock and Stealth. Then tell me how to get them to work with MTR. I have tried everything the readme file says and still no go on either. Mr. W sends it into a frizzy!

14. sako7stw macrumors member

OllyW,

Do you have to buy DVDremaster to get Fairmount? Not seeing a place to download just Fairmount.

15. cohibadad macrumors 6502a

cohibadad

MTR and handbrake is the way to go IMO. You will not be able to rip (or even Fairmount) newer DVDs that have clear cell copy protection. The MTR beta works for those but costs.

16. devguys.com macrumors newbie

Just ripped and burned the Mr. Woodcock and Saw 4 with no issues.

Ripped it with MTR (saving the files to the desktop in "Movies" folder. After the burn was complete, I opened up Toast 8 and clicked on DVD-Video TS and selected the folder and burned the DVD. Both play in my Phillips DVD system.)

17. Domofloge macrumors regular

Domofloge

18. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

I second that I love handbbreak USe it all the time

19. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Fairmount is free. It's part of the trial DVDRemaster dmg file. Mount the dmg file and copy just Fairmount to your application folder.

HandBrake are now recommending Fairmount and DVD2OneX instead of MTR because of problems with the contributions for the betas of MTR.

20. clevin macrumors G3

clevin