Ripping Blu-Ray and HD-DVD

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ross.32, Dec 4, 2007.

1. ross.32 macrumors 6502

I have seen somewhere on the net a internal Blu-Ray drive upgrade for 17' MBPs and plently of external drives in both formats.

If I were to get one of these drives, would I be able to rip the movies to my computer? Can Handbreak handle either one? If not Handbreak, is there anything else? Or am I stuck with just DVD quality?

Thanks, ross

2. ross.32 thread starter macrumors 6502

or can I use Mac The Ripper to get the entire VIDEO_TS folder off the HD movie? or do the HD movies even use the VIDEO_TS structure that normal DVDs do?

3. CaptainHaddock macrumors 6502

I think AnyDVD is the only software package available right now that will rip Blu-Ray and HD-DVD, but it's PC-only.

4. TheStu macrumors 65816

Does it actually rip at least HD-DVD? Is it confirmed?

I ask because the XBox360's HD-DVD player works out of the box on OS X, and with some drivers on Windows so that is a nice cheap way to add HD DVD to one's system.

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

AnyDVD HD (which is not free) works on Windows with HD DVD. The resulting files need to be played back on Windows too. There's also a free app for Windows called DVDFab HD that claims to be able to rip HD DVD, but I haven't tried it yet.

My eventual goal is to turn my HD DVDs into QuickTime-playable files so that I don't need to use Boot Camp all the time, but I suspect that I'm still a fair way off that goal. My current "HD DVD-watching" setup consists of a MacBook Pro (X1600), Boot Camp with XP, PowerDVD Ultra, and a 360 HD DVD drive.

6. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

I have a friend who's stuck with his Sony SR1 and can't do much with the AVCHD video that comes off of it. He's been struggling for a way to deal with the .m2ts files in a reasonable way. And that's his own content...

The industry is in its infancy right now. Slysoft is claiming to be on the verge or has just release Blu-Ray ripping (already has HD-DVD), but who knows. There's something out there, because they have been posting HD video on the bit torrent sites.

7. monkeytap macrumors regular

how big are the resulting files? and whats the quality like?

im jealous of your setup, hopefully AnyDVD works with blu because im thinking of getting the fastmac internal blu-ray drive.

its good to know if i want to get hd-dvd I can do the xbox add on with my mac.

8. ross.32 thread starter macrumors 6502

Looks like I will have to install Windows to get my HD for now. I am like you, I want to convert everything to Quicktime for use on Apple TV and iPhone (after I reconvet it to lower quality of course). So should I install Vista or XP?

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I couldn't get my HD DVDs to play at all under Vista, the Boot Camp 1.3 drivers for the X1600 didn't seem to support the required functionality. I haven't tried Vista again since Leopard.

AnyDVD rips the raw EVO files so there's no quality loss. They'll still be whatever size they were originally.

10. ross.32 thread starter macrumors 6502

Would there be any noticable quality loss converting them to Quicktime after they are on the HDD?

11. TheStu macrumors 65816

If you use an h264 encoder, and try to preserve the bitrate (anyone know the bitrate of 720p off hand?) you can get it down drastically in size but still have it look quite nice on all but the largest of screens

12. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Here's hoping a future version of Handbrake supports HD. I would think they would wait until people actually had built-in high def disc drives (whatever the format). I don't think that will be until a couple of years from now...

13. ross.32 thread starter macrumors 6502

So here is the plan. MBP with internal Blu-Ray drive and external XBOX-360 HDDVD drive, and Vista. Rip and convert in Vista, and then move to Leopard, and watch on MBP's 1080P screen.

14. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Has he tried using Final Cut Studio 2?

15. monkeytap macrumors regular

which internal are you getting? fastmac?

Be sure to keep us updated, I want to hear more! (especially the blu side, I trust hd-dvd is easy to rip)

16. ross.32 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes I am going to use Fastmac. It won't be until January, I am not going to buy my MBP until Macworld in hope that they have a Hi-def 15'' or a LED 17''. I will be sure to let you know when I do it though. Thanks for the help everyone!

17. ross.32 thread starter macrumors 6502

One more question...will I loss any quality by ripping regular DVDs on HandBreak? Is the preset 'Normal' the best one in terms of quality? Thanks

18. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

He doesn't have a Mac :eek:

I've heard that iMovie will take it, but only off of the camera directly. I've seen other folks post about making a .dmg out of the file and being able to deal with it that way.

I have FCP 2, but it won't do him much good.

19. ross.32 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes iMovie 08 will recognize the .dmg as a camera and allow you import it.

20. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I'm going to give this a go tonight, I'm just clearing out some room on my external hard drive so that I actually have somewhere to rip to :)

I've downloaded DVDFab and an app called EVODemux, so I'll let you know how I get on.

21. ross.32 thread starter macrumors 6502

22. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

DVDFab didn't recognise the disc. I'll download the AnyDVD demo again later, even though I don't want to support their company:

Last time I used AnyDVD (on a different system) the demo expired the next time I rebooted: OS X set the system clock to GMT, then when I rebooted into Windows AnyDVD loaded before AppleTime "fixed" the clock and AnyDVD thought I was trying to get around the copy protection and disabled itself. Their tech support refused to help and labelled me a pirate. Lovely.

23. CaptainHaddock macrumors 6502

Are you sure about that? I was under the impression it could dump the contents into a straight MP4 or MPEG file. A lot of MP4 Blu-ray rips are already showing up on torrent sites; I assumed they were ripped with AnyDVD HD.

24. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

As far as I know it's a pure ripper, but it may have some features that I'm not aware of.

25. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

OK, I've ended up with a VC-1 .mpv file and an E-AC3 .mpa file. I can't get either to play under OS X. Flip4Mac claims to support VC-1 but I expect that it needs to be in a WMV container, not an MPEG container. I'll keep fiddling…