Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thats nice

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2006
Yeah I'd like to see how this goes as well. I have the 360 HD DVD player ad on with a few dvds, although i would like to rip them to iphone size, i'm happy with losing the quality, i just don't want to buy the normal dvd version of a dvd for an easy transfer.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I haven't got any further yet. All my movies seem to be VC-1 so I can't even try out an H.264 disc and see whether it's any easier to work with.

FireArse

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2004
HD-DVD backup

I too am interested in this. I'd like to convert a few of my HD-DVD's for iPhone. Seems the industry is making it extremely hard for us...

VC-1 huh? Have you tried playback through MPlayer (CLI)? One could then re-encode through Mencoder with the iPhone settings for x264...

F

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
SUCCESS!

MPlayer can read .evo files when configured correctly. I'm going to do a bit more fiddling and will update when I have a bit more information (so far I've only managed to play the Universal logo, and will now try an actual movie).

ross.32

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 27, 2007
Yes please do! I have all my equipment ready save a Blu-Ray drive (MBP, 360 HDDVD, Vista Ultimate). Can't wait to rip 1080P King Kong!

Since the HD-DVD drive is not mine, I plan on getting a combo external Blu-Ray HDDVD drive. Any recommendations?

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
As promised, I have a bit more information :)

1. Install X11 from your OS X DVD if you haven't already.

2. Download MPlayer from here. This is newer than the latest official release and includes limited HD DVD support.

3. Launch MPlayer, go into Preferences > Miscellaneous and enter the following additional settings:

-v -demuxer lavf -ac ffeac3 -fps 24000/1001 -aid 3

4. Drop an EVO file onto the MPlayer dock icon. It will hopefully play!

If there is no sound or the sound is in a foreign language, then try changing the number on the end of the additional settings. 3 is correct for the movie I tried, Liar Liar, however it may vary for other movies. Start with 1 and increment it by 1 each time.

For Liar Liar, the numbers are:
1. Director's commentary
2. French
3. English

I didn't try anything higher than 3. (Edit: 3 is the highest supported for this movie)

As for drive recommendations, I have no BR experience so I can't recommend anything there. I'm using a 360 drive myself.

ross.32

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 27, 2007
Thanks man! I will be trying this with my dad's 360 drive the next time I visit him (I'm a college student). Can't wait to see how it works.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
That's an internal drive. If you can't find any externals then you should still be able to wire up a drive via a USB enclosure. I've heard something about copy protection issues over USB, so take that as a word of warning, however I haven't had any problems with my USB HD DVD drive.

ross.32

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 27, 2007
Well how many movies are offered on HD DVD that are not offered on Blu-Ray? With more and more studios going to Blu-Ray, I may just want to wait until this summer when I would be able to afford the internal Blu-Ray drive for the 17". I like the connivence of an internal drive. Plus I do have my dad's 360 drive if I really need it. It is only available during breaks, but it is free.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Well how many movies are offered on HD DVD that are not offered on Blu-Ray?

I don't know. Most studios are only supporting one format and therefore the majority of my movies are HD DVD exclusives. Only 3 of my movies are also available on BR, and they're from Warner Bros.

ross.32

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 27, 2007
Well since this won't be happening for at least two months, I will probably look a the situation at buying time and see how things are looking then.

CaptainHaddock

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2004
Nagoya, Japan
That's an internal drive. If you can't find any externals then you should still be able to wire up a drive via a USB enclosure. I've heard something about copy protection issues over USB, so take that as a word of warning, however I haven't had any problems with my USB HD DVD drive.

If you have to go that route, use a Firewire enclosure. USB will take forever and day to rip a 20 GB disc. In fact, you probably can't even use a USB enclosure since the movie would transfer more slowly than it played.

monkeytap

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2007
Saint Paul, MN
I don't know. Most studios are only supporting one format and therefore the majority of my movies are HD DVD exclusives. Only 3 of my movies are also available on BR, and they're from Warner Bros.

you do know that there are only 2 remaining studios producing movies for hd-dvd right? 70% of the studios exclusively support blu-ray now

Well since this won't be happening for at least two months, I will probably look a the situation at buying time and see how things are looking then.

good idea, prices will come down, war will be officially over, and no need for combo, especially since you have dads

monkeytap

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2007
Saint Paul, MN
If you have to go that route, use a Firewire enclosure. USB will take forever and day to rip a 20 GB disc. In fact, you probably can't even use a USB enclosure since the movie would transfer more slowly than it played.

i agree, I have my external blu ray burner in a firewire enclosure and it has worked perfectly!

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand

Normally I'd recommend FireWire but USB is sufficient (I have a USB drive now) and FireWire enclosures unfortunately seem to cost a lot more. You're right that ripping takes a long time but I think that may be the drive rather than the interface - as far as I know my drive's only 2x.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Wouldn't it be easier for people to go out and buy used copies for $4-$6 and just rip it from DVD?

That's what I'm doing rather than going out and buying Blu-ray/HD DVD drives.

How many used DVD's can you buy for the price of a high-def disc drive?

monkeytap

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2007
Saint Paul, MN
Normally I'd recommend FireWire but USB is sufficient (I have a USB drive now) and FireWire enclosures unfortunately seem to cost a lot more. You're right that ripping takes a long time but I think that may be the drive rather than the interface - as far as I know my drive's only 2x.

I have a first generation blu-ray drive in a firewire enclosure, and it only takes ~45-55 minutes to rip a full blu-ray. Its a 2x burner, but the read speed is unlisted...I guess my post is pretty pointless than, ****. :confused:

Wouldn't it be easier for people to go out and buy used copies for $4-$6 and just rip it from DVD?

That's what I'm doing rather than going out and buying Blu-ray/HD DVD drives.

How many used DVD's can you buy for the price of a high-def disc drive?

yeah, but thats on DVD, gross!!!!! i can't watch SD movies on my projector, it looks like crap (sounds snobby, but its not) on a small tv it might not matter, but the benefits of high definition is worth the few hundred bucks IMO. not to mention the data capabilities.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Just letting you know that I'm still working on this. I gave it another go last night and now have the VC-1 video streams reading in QuickTime. I've successfully exported one to 720p (which I believe is compatible with Apple TV, plus I'm only using a 1440x900 screen so 1080p is a waste) and have attached a screenshot.

Now to get the sound working…

Edit: No luck whatsoever with sound so far. Does anyone know how to convert EAC3 (Dolby Digital Plus) to a different format using either OS X or Windows?

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    902 KB · Views: 178

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
All done :D

I'll post some step-by-step instructions later (I'm such a tease).

In the meantime, for the creative types, here is the software I used: AnyDVD, EVOdemux, vc1conv, vc12avi, eac3to, QuickTime Pro, Flip4Mac WMV Player Pro, A52Codec. I think that's everything.

Update: I've run into issues with a Paramount title. I'll try to sort that out so that I have better instructions when the time comes :)

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
Similar problem here...

DVDFab didn't recognise the disc. I'll download the AnyDVD demo again later, even though I don't want to support their company:

Last time I used AnyDVD (on a different system) the demo expired the next time I rebooted: OS X set the system clock to GMT, then when I rebooted into Windows AnyDVD loaded before AppleTime "fixed" the clock and AnyDVD thought I was trying to get around the copy protection and disabled itself. Their tech support refused to help and labelled me a pirate. Lovely.

but I exclaimed "how can I be labeled a PIRATE, when I don't even wear a patch?" LOL :p

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
As mentioned above, I've run into issues with a Paramount movie. Unlike Universal, Paramount is using H.264 and (I can't believe I'm saying this) it seems to be more difficult to work with than VC-1.

QuickTime can read VC-1 using Flip4Mac, but so far I have been unable to get the H.264 videos playing in QuickTime. I've used a tool for Windows called avc2avi which encapsulates the raw video into an AVI file, and the resulting file plays in MPlayer and VLC, but not in QuickTime Player. I'm still doing research but I think that this has something to do with MPEG-4 profiles. Does anyone know which profile HD DVD uses, and which profiles are supported by QuickTime?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.