Ripping DVDs for iPad 3rd Gen

Discussion in 'iPad' started by knobsmagee, Mar 15, 2012.

1. knobsmagee macrumors newbie

Waiting for my new iPad to arrive tomorrow and I decided that I should start ripping my DVD collection to be able to access them on my iPad and Apple TV. I'm using MacX DVD Ripper and wanted to get some recommendations on the best settings.

I know that standard DVDs aren't 1080P but would it be good or bad to rip them in the iPad3 (1920x1080 H264) 1080P HD format? Or should I use the iPad3 (1280x720 H264) 720P format or something else? This is all new to me so any advice would be great. Thanks!

2. SuperRob macrumors regular

Rip them at the native resolution (usually 720x480, possibly less for cinescope formatted films), and let the iPad scale them. They'll take up less space and still look as good as possible.

3. knobsmagee thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! Will they still look the same as a regular DVD on my HD TV through Apple TV too?

4. SuperRob macrumors regular

Hard to say, since I don't have one yet. Theoretically, they could look a little worse. Why's that? Because with your HDTV, you're sitting further away, and the HDTV has lower resolution than the iPad. The iPad will have to scale up your DVD more, and that will exaggerate any flaws. You're also looking at the screen close-up, and that might not help either. I think if you had your iPad sitting on a desk about 18" away, you'd be hard-pressed to tell the difference.

5. applesith macrumors 68020

applesith

6. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

7. knobsmagee thread starter macrumors newbie

That other thread had some good info too, thanks! I guess what I'm confused about is when you use the 1080P or 720P settings to rip on a 480 DVD what exactly does it do? Is it just a complete waste and using the natural resolution is the way to go?

8. MarkG21 macrumors regular

On the surface (e.g., not editing advance settings) I don't think hand brake will let you encode at a higher resolution than the source file.

So, if you use Apple TV 2 settings for a DVD, the resolution will be 480 and for a blu ray rip for the same Apple TV 2 settings will be at 720.

9. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

tru dat. I ripped a few BD's recently and they ripped at 720 for the Apple TV2 setting.

10. frede1kirk macrumors newbie

Can someone help me, getting movies from PC, to iTunes?

Hi, i have a few movies i'd like to get to iTunes.

All the movies are in .avi, but i have no idea how to get them into iTunes so they can be transfered to iPad / iPhone.

I am a total noob at this, i have googled it and all the things i could think off, but little did it help.

I would much prefer not using any 3rd party programs to get this all synced up.

Thanks. (Running latest iTunes btw.)

11. CIA macrumors 6502a

These are the manual setting's I've used since day one for my iPad 2. The only difference is for HD content I've always left sizes at 1920x1080 (or whatever the 1080p native size was for widescreen flix).

Looking forward to seeing if I can bump up Reference Frames and Maximum B-frames up for the new iPad!

[​IMG]

12. MarkG21 macrumors regular

Since they are AVI's, your going to have to use third party software.

Hand Brake is completely free and a great program.

http://handbrake.fr/

13. knobsmagee thread starter macrumors newbie

Is this the same for MacX DVD Ripper? So you're saying it doesn't matter which setting I select because it will encode at the sources resolution?

14. MarkG21 macrumors regular

I'm not familiar with that program but would assume that its the same. You really can't add resolution. You can only make an encode as good as the source, not better.

15. poloponies macrumors 68030

Just like an mp3 is limited by its compression rate (i.e. you can't "add" sonic information that isn't there), video files are only as good as their original encoding. So copying a VHS tape onto a DVD or Blu-Ray won't give you a better image than the VHS tape had originally.

16. fridgeymonster3 macrumors 6502

fridgeymonster3

What computer are you using that is getting less than 2 FPS?! Are the file sizes just huge at the end due to your custom settings, or is it just an older computer you are using?

17. CIA macrumors 6502a

That is a 2008, 8 Core 3.2Ghz MacPro with 16GB of RAM. Handbrake is the only thing running, and it's redlining all 8 cores.

18. MarkG21 macrumors regular

Wow, I know it's a 1080 encode, but is it really worth all that time? What is that, like a 24 hour encode?

Are you at least using that for the new ATV 3? Seems a bit overboard for just an ipad. This is, of course, just my opinion.

19. fridgeymonster3 macrumors 6502

fridgeymonster3

Holy crap! I also have an '08 MP 8-core, but the 2.8 version. What files sizes do you get for something like a 2 hr Blu-ray encode?

20. doboy macrumors 68000

Yikes!:eek: avg 1.06 fps!

21. CIA macrumors 6502a

Since the new version of handbrake took out the nice easy "I want my final file size to be this" setting, the 1 pass encodes with this setup take about 24-36 hours, depending on what else I'm doing with my machine (I edit video for a living). Took longer before because I would use 2 pass encodes. So 2-3 days total to encode a normal 90-100 minute blu-ray.
    We have a bunch of 2008, 2009, and 2010 Mac pro's here (from 8 real cores up to the 2010's 12 real + 12 virtual 24 core beasts. So when we have a few days of downtime I steal the horsepower and re-encode my blu-rays for iPad 3.

MacBlu-Ray Ripper is my software. And yes, I own all the movies I rip.

22. Cscottrun macrumors 6502

This thread seems like the best place to ask this question. So I have a movie on my hard drive that is 1920x800. Do I need to do any conversions or anything or can I just put this right on the new iPad?

23. fridgeymonster3 macrumors 6502

fridgeymonster3

Cool. I also noticed in another forum that you use Constant Quality RF 18.5 instead of the recommended 20. I know that this increases file size too. Since you edit video for a living, I assume you see quite the difference in picture quality than say just the "normal" Handbrake setting? Do you think the quality difference would be noticeable to the average person?

24. MarkG21 macrumors regular

What format is the movie in? (MP4, M4V, AVI...)

Generally, if you can put it in itunes, it'll work.

25. Cscottrun macrumors 6502

MP4, that good or bad? Thanks for the reply.