Ripping movies??

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Gix1k, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

So I use DvdFab to rip my movies for iPad. Why would it rip a movie to a 1.47gb file when I can find a torrent of the same movie for 700mb? Should be using a different app? What do you guys use? I think I may need to explore a new option.

2. 184550 Guest

RipIt is good option that you could take a look at.

3. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

A. check the rip settings and adjust the quality to suit your needs.
    B. I'd rather have a DVD properly compressed to a 1gb mkv than a crappy old 700mb avi any day.

4. omni macrumors 6502

Never used dvdfab before but do they have presets to rip movies for? Handbrake has an ipad preset so it keeps the quality high but the filesize low.

But lets be honest, more than likely your dvdfab file looks a billion times better than some terrible 700mb movie you bittorrented. And it probably has a true 5.1 channel instead of just 2 channels (which unfortunately the ipad could care less about).

I recommend handbrake

5. triplecore1 macrumors member

6. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

Use handbrake. Ripped a 42 minute show, file size 141MB. looks great on iPad.

7. Pballer110 macrumors 6502

Handbrake is really good. It has all the presets youll need.

8. schmoopy.design macrumors regular

Handbrake isnhands down the best and the easiest to use.

9. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Handbrake using the ATV2 setting. This allows AirPlay with DD5.1 and looks excellent on both the iPad & an ATV2 on the bigscreen.
    So what if the files are 1.4GB on average, just sync what you need for the road. When at home your whole library is available via iTunes Home Sharing. :D

10. johnc22 macrumors 6502

I was messing with this all weekend and my complaint with Handbrake is that it is defeated by the encryption on many of my DVDs (e.g. The Big Lebowski). I had to use the free part of DVDFab's Decrypter to get the movie off the disc as VOB and then use Handbrake to convert it. These are movies I own so I just want to be able to select a few for my iPad when traveling and have them ready to go on my 1TB iTunes drive.

Am I using Handbrake incorrectly?

11. Decked macrumors member

You can adjust the output settings on DVDFAB to compress to whatever size you want. If you go into the configure tab and settings. (Don't have it infront of me but it can be done).

12. schmoopy.design macrumors regular

Not sure if it is stillmthe case, but I would think it is, you need to have VLC player installed as well. VLC acts as the DVD decrypternfor Handbrake. If you look at the Handbrake website it should explain how to set it up.

13. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I'm definitely a fanboy of the DVD Automator functions that are described HERE. They use the command line versions of VLC and Handbrake as well as Fairmount for decryption. It also automates iTunes tagging and poster art downloads. It works for both movies and DVDs. Bluerays too if your heart desires :)

14. MTShipp, Mar 21, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2011

MTShipp macrumors 6502a

I used to use Handbrake but started having playability issues.

I now use Wondershare. I rarely have a DVD that it can not rip and I like being able to save them in my Apple TV2 format or iPad.

And in the cases that it can not crack the protection on a DVD, I fire up my Windows bootcamp and rip with Slysoft AnyDVD and then switch back to the Mac and convert from there.

15. OptyCT macrumors 6502

I've ripped a couple of hundred DVD's using Handbrake and have never run into problems with encryption. Am I missing something, or is this problem unique to a few DVD's?

16. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

Another vote for Handbrake here. I have about 200 movies rippped all using Handbrake and have never really ran into any problems. Some movies are a bit of a pain, but nothing a few extra minutes of looking into can't solve

17. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

No love for Wondershare. :(

http://stream-recorder.com/forum/www-wondershare-com-review-wondershare-lowest-quality-t4332.html

18. marine0816 macrumors 6502a

marine0816

Use cinexplayer to play your bootleg avi movies

19. Gix1k thread starter macrumors 68030

Gix1k

Problem I am finding with Handbrake is it takes ages to load the movie once you select the drive as the source. Then it starts to scan it every time so far it hangs on 2 of 26. (The Switch).
    Trying DVDFab again now to see where I can adjust the output size.

20. henrikrox macrumors 65816

henrikrox

Handbrake is good, but not the default presets, it gets blocky fast, and isnt that good. I have a custom one i got from the maker of handbrake, and its very very good, takes 30 min longer to encode, but the quality is so much better and the file size is often smaller. Weird right?

anyway i posted the settings on the handbrake forums for those who wants it

21. TwinCitiesJHawk macrumors 6502

TwinCitiesJHawk

can you point me in the direction to the "handbrake forums"?

Also, Is it normal for handbrake to take almost 2hrs to convert 1 dvd to mp4? Im running windows 7 and i5 processor.

22. johnc22 macrumors 6502

OK, that's awesome. I installed Handbrake, ran into decryption issues and went with DVDFab decryption. I subsequently installed VLC (this is a new Win7 x64 install so I'm still getting all my software reloaded) and didn't try decrypting again. I'll give this a go - thanks!

23. schmoopy.design macrumors regular

Cool. Let me know if it works for you and sorry about my spelling in that last post!

24. Gix1k thread starter macrumors 68030

Gix1k

I used DVDFab to create a .vob file. Then I used Handbrake to rip to .mp4 at a 750mb file. Success!!

Thanks to who said that at the top.

25. jps1012 macrumors 6502a

jps1012

Is there an easy step by step instructions on how to rip dvds and then put it on your ipad? I downloaded handbrake and VLC on my comp and have VLC on my ipad. I tried doing it but I didn't know what settings to use on handbrake. Thanks!!!