Rite Aid Disables Apple Pay Support After Initially Accepting Payments

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 23, 2014.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

A growing number of Apple Pay users are angry with retailer Rite Aid following the reported disabling of the mobile payment service within the past 24 hours. Apple Pay should technically be compatible with any point-of-sale systems supporting NFC technology, but customers who made successful Apple Pay payments earlier this week have found their payments were being denied yesterday and today.

[​IMG]
    Among the disgruntled users was Josh Hudnall, who shared his experiences and his conclusions that Rite Aid is deliberately crippling its payment systems to prevent Apple Pay transactions.
    Hudnall spoke to an associate who claims Rite Aid recently sent an email informing stores that the retailer is not accepting Apple Pay payments, and Hudnall speculates it is because Rite Aid is a supporter of the upcoming CurrentC payments system from Merchant Customer Exchange. Competitor Walgreens is also one of Apple's biggest launch partners for Apple Pay.

According to Twitter reports, the retailer also unexpectedly turned off support for Google Wallet at the same time. Rite Aid has not confirmed the shut down of these services, nor commented publicly on these reports.

Apple Pay launched earlier this week in a debut that was relatively smooth for most customers. As demoed in a McDonald's transaction, payments are processed almost instantly at supported terminals with the press of the Touch ID sensor on the phone.

The most publicized hiccup occurred with Bank of America customers, who were accidentally charged twice for their purchases. Bank of America confirmed that the issue only affected a small number of users who will receive refunds.

Article Link: Rite Aid Disables Apple Pay Support After Initially Accepting Payments

2. NachoGrande, Oct 23, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2014

NachoGrande macrumors 6502a

Man Apple is messing up once again. Reminds me of Microsoft in their prime. yay yah I know it's the pay providers not Apple :rolleyes:

Save yourself the quotes. My point was that these inconsistencies should have been handled ahead of time. I have no confidence in Apple Pay right now. As I said before I tried to use is 3 times and it worked 1 time. My credit card has never let me down and until it gets to that point it's just easier for me to pull my card out.

And for the record I bought the iPhone 6 strictly for Apple Pay...

3. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

4. Sonmi451, Oct 23, 2014

Sonmi451 Suspended

What the hell is merchant customer exchange? That's fine, I'll just get my drugs from Target instead.

5. gaximus macrumors 6502a

How is this Apples problem?

6. Sonmi451 Suspended

it just trolls.

7. iLoveiTunes macrumors regular

For F sake do read the articles once in a while before jumping the gun :rolleyes:

8. JackieInCo macrumors 601

How did Apple mess up this one?

9. Miabifilms macrumors newbie

"How quickly the world owes us something that didn't exist 5 minutes ago. Can Ya give it a second!" - Louis CK

10. sziehr macrumors 6502a

this just seems like a poor choice. It is payment they are paying the same amount as if i swipe my amex.

11. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

Easy, no shopping at Rite Aid.

No big deal, see ya Rite Aid.

12. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Terrible sarcasm if that's what you were aiming for.

13. NachoGrande macrumors 6502a

These are all things that should have been worked out ahead of time. What good is a system that you never know will work. You need to build confidence in a system to get people on board. Right now I've tried to use my Apple Pay 3 times and it worked 1 time.

14. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I've read and been told that a terminal doesn't need to have an Apple Pay sticker on it for Apple Pay to work. It just needs to have the contactless payments icon (below) to work. So...is that not actually the case?

[​IMG]

15. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

16. saving107, Oct 23, 2014

saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

EDIT: I get it

17. Sonmi451 Suspended

Do you have anything relevant to add?

18. canucksfan88 macrumors 6502a

canucksfan88

or...you could just take out your damn wallet like you have been for years :rolleyes:

19. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

The country will be back to segregation in 10 years. This time, it will be Apple, Android, and everyone else, as the different ecosystems evolve and create alliances with different organizations.

20. Scott6666 macrumors 65816

Scott6666

Tru dat. I do a lot of business at Rite Aid but Walgreens are popping up close by. I will switch. I'm amazed that any store would find ways to chase out customers.

21. NachoGrande macrumors 6502a

Apparently, some stores turn that feature off. At least that has been that case for me.

22. Dreamer2go macrumors 6502a

What the..... did you not read the article? It worked yesterday, but Rite Aid blocked it....

please read carefully!

23. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Merchants aren't being charged, the deals are with the banks. Merchants pay the banks a fee already for using their credit services, the banks then pay Apple a percentage whenever Apple Pay is used.

24. 1Zach1 macrumors 65816

1Zach1

So if both Apple Pay and Google Wallet aren't working, does that mean they are simply disabling the NFC reader? Or are they doing something on the backend?