rMB noticeably slow.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by EnderTW, Apr 18, 2015.

1. EnderTW, Apr 18, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2015

EnderTW macrumors 6502

Finally had an opportunity to really test it out.

Going to the verge, the page did not load for a pretty long time from fresh. Animations are choppy on the highest scaled resolution when having more than 2 desktops. They should have kept the ULV broadwell cpu. I'm going to wait this one out. Surface 3 is going to be even worse with the atom processor.

New keyboard is very good, I hope they bring this to the other laptops. Force touch is good, I use tap to click so it doesn't have much effect on me.

edit: great points made in thread, wish I could changed thread title, apple store isn't a good test environment. ordered 512gb space gray, going to see how well it works at home.

2. iRun26.2 macrumors 68000

Your experience sounds unusual compared to others who have reported no such problems.

3. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

4. Mcdevidr macrumors 6502a

Can't wait to get mine. Get ready Wednesday I'll be starting a new thread as well.

5. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

What you experienced was slow internet, not a slow machine.

Come on folks. Use common sense!

6. newellj macrumors 601

In addition to the possibility of a slow wifi connection, it's also possible that there are random user settings affecting things if you were using a demo unit at a retail store. I don't know how often they reset those. I know that I frequently change all kinds of settings when I'm test-driving a computer at a retail store.

7. Mildredop macrumors 68020

Don't wait 'til Wednesday - start your new thread now with various updates on tracking info, expected delivery time and unboxing photos.

8. Elise macrumors 6502

^^^
    Heh :D There was a "first impressions" thread around here somewhere, not sure why folks just can talk about their thoughts on there.

9. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

That doesn't explain the animations being choppy.

----------

Also, you could start one with just the facts (tracking info) and another on how you feel about it.

10. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

I've had five videos running at once, all four Microsoft applications open and editing in Photoshop. I had zero issues with lag or slowness. Oh, and I had iTunes on also but that doesn't take much. I did all this to test the rMB. So, for a person to say they were in an Apple store where there are hundreds of people and they experienced slowness on an internet site, it shows they did not compute why it would be slow.

Ever try to use your smartphone at a sporting event? Circumstances matter.

11. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Oh I'm not doubting the rMB can handle all that. I'm just saying that the connection wouldn't explain this specific users choppy animations.

12. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

When I first tried the MacBook on 10.10.2 it was fairly easy to induce lag, today visiting the local Apple Store the MacBook`s on display had been updated to 10.10.3 with all additional software installed. I found the MacBook to be very fluid with no noticeable lag even with multiple Space`s and fullscreen application running. I dare say that you could force the system to lag, equally the MacBook is not designed for heavy lifting.

Only downside no Store stock until 24th

Q-6

13. lch6257 macrumors member

I too experienced some issues connecting to pages, etc in both the Apple Store and Best Buy on the demo machines, but chalked it up to poor connection and glad I did as I brought one home yesterday. Some background on this, I am a long time mac user now and "used" a 13" rMBP with an i5 and 8gigs to run a billion dollar healthcare system called Epic on that machine. After less than 24 hours of set up, I am changing machines. The new rMB is magic, aka Synergy - the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. It works just fine for me to run a Critical 1 Patient Care System where lives depend on it. Works a treat, most excited I have ever been about a macbook. specs <> real world utilization.

PS - I am using the base model...

14. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

If the page wasn't fully loaded then yes it would. Regardless he's the only one reporting this so...

15. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

He's talking about desktops so it's not the website that's choppy but the system so how would that work?

16. lch6257 macrumors member

Interesting note, but I have no chop at all on anything I do on my home network here using Uverse for ISP. The machine is quite snappy and in my normal flow of apps and multi-tabbing firefox and Safari (20 + tabs total), notes, imessage, pages, numbers, google mail, hangouts, books, act monitor, terminal, express vpn, contacts, calendar, voip calls, etc, etc all simulatneously, I have no issues, no choppiness, no hangs, it just works.

75% - 90% idle CPU, 2.5 GB ram free in normal ops. Looks good to me.

17. Manacit macrumors member

Manacit

I find that web browsing is almost always lag-free, even when I'm loading sites like The Verge.

Unfortunately, there's definitely UI lag switching between fullscreen apps. Every time I open the Application folder from the Dock, it takes a second and doesn't come up smoothly. It's interesting that the OS itself is what has the most jitter and lag.

Little disappointing coming from Apple, if other things can work so well I find it hard to believe that they couldn't have made the UI experience as fluid as well. Not a deal breaker, though.

18. wolfie macrumors regular

I'll generally agree with the last post. Internet experience and using apps are fluid. The small things in OS X demonstrate the lag/jittery such as opening applications folder from the dock.

I'm not sure whether the software isn't optimised or the graphics card is struggling with such a basic animation.

19. scabello macrumors newbie

It is definitely noticeably slow. And it is not internet related. Just opening up applications is slow .. i can really tell the difference. But it is what I expected. The 1.3 might be a better option but even then 20% improvement may not help. It is also interesting that I do not see the CPU spike.. so i am not sure where all of this performance contention is coming from

20. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I bet it is the retina display causing the problems. Maybe someone who has the adapter already can confirm how everything runs on an external 1080p display.

21. EnderTW thread starter macrumors 6502

No doubt, I could see the blue line under the webpages as it was still loading. However, once loaded, it would still be slow on some of the images when scrolling and such.

The "retina" lag is like my iMac 5k. It's slightly noticeable, to me, it's not a big problem.

Granted, might have had some weird demo stuff on it.

22. Dgail macrumors regular

Dgail

EPIC user

Don't know if you are a clinician or on the developer side. You are the first person have encountered on this site who uses EPIC. I am a hospitalist nurse practitioner and have been using it via a Citrix VPN.

Currently using a 2011 non-Retina MBP with 4 Gig ram, 128 Gig SSD and as mentioned in some earlier posts, running out of space. Was thinking of purchasing the 1.3/512 rMB later in the year (when can afford), partitioning off 100 Gs of the drive for Windows to run EPIC and to run our charge capture software. The majority of the SSD would be for my personal use, photos, videos, email, web browsing.

Am able to run EPIC fine without a separate partition, since I do not use a mouse, have to expand the page to reach the scroll bars and drop downs. Have also thought of downloading Haiku, but not all facilities use it and have some parts of it disabled such as actually placing orders and such.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

23. rekhyt macrumors 65816

Think it has to do with either graphics hardware or OS X problems.

Even the rMBP 15" had problems with interface lag when it was first released in 2012.

Yosemite isn't that optimised (They're running iOS, Watch OS and OS X with yearly releases, plus their Pro apps, plus their iWork apps) for Retina-class displays, so the 2015 OS X may fix it when it is Retina-only.

24. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

I noticed lag too, which makes me hesitant. However, I'm wonder if it an OS X 10.10.2 issue, as there were other issues and bad performance on the new rMBP.

I'm going back in two weeks with hopes that they will have 10.10.3 installed before I make my final decision.

25. EnderTW thread starter macrumors 6502

Good points, going to try it out. Demo at store wasn't really conducive of good testing, plus the forum seems to overall be pleased. Movers coupon and the 512gb space gray, $1469 shipped with some discounts. We'll see on Tuesday how well I like this.