RMBP 10.8.2 - My opinions so far...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by alyshehata, Sep 19, 2012.

1. alyshehata, Sep 19, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2012

alyshehata macrumors member

- Lag has been reduced to bare minimum. Absolutely no UI lag. Little safari lag on websites like theverge.com (but that lags on every other computer i tried too..)
    - The screen seems a little brighter (Although I can't be certain... but now full brightness hurts my eyes for some reason)
    -Battery life better. (not by a lot. I usually get 7 hours on 10.8.1, so far, I've seen it say 9 hours remaining with normal safari usage, I guess I gotta wait to see)
    - iMessages and Facetime now iPhone integrated.. FINALLY
    -Overall smoother system. Boots in 6 seconds now for me. Awesome. I love it :)

Go Ahead and post your opinions too :)

EDIT: I just noticed that switching spaces feels like its on steroids. It's a lot faster (the animation) but not necessarily smoother.

I'm also certain that they've done something about the lag because resizing windows now feels "normal". before, everytime I want to resize safari, it would lag like crazy.

2. SpitUK macrumors 6502

3. alyshehata thread starter macrumors member

4. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

5. alyshehata thread starter macrumors member

You get it from the appstore. But i think mountain lion downloads it without telling you. Try to reboot you're computer and see if you're prompted to "install the security" update.

6. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Nope it didnt! But I found it here http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1591

Too bad my battery life doesnt even say 5 hrs :(

Attached Files:

7. zipur macrumors 6502

Wow I never noticed the lage until I went to http://www.theverge.com
    This being my first MBP I thought that was normal, heck my 10 year old win pc did that all the time. I've been supper happy with my MBP. Now I'm bugged. So this doesn't happen on cMBPs on the same web site?

8. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Wow its radically going up lol...

Attached Files:

9. miscarriage macrumors newbie

I fully agree to alyshehata. It's a lot more smoother / faster and the screen became definitely a bit brighter...

@alyshehata: How can it be, that your MBPr starts up in 6 sseconds?! Could give me some hints?! THX

10. Bayonetwork macrumors newbie

So far 10.8.2 running well on my rMBP after a few hours of heavy use.

Im hoping it becomes more stable Ive had quite a few freezes and quirks.

One issue. I was using the Microsoft Office mod to have it display "properly" but now I cant get it to work anymore?

Anyone else have this issue?

11. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Ive had some weird software quirks too, pretty annoying.

My batter life is now reporting 6:13 up from the 4:45 so Im happy.

12. FroColin macrumors regular

Honestly these battery estaminets are so much guesswork that they are almost irrelevant. I have an rMBP and I've always found that in my normal use of the machine my estaminet is totally off. If I were ONLY browsing safari all day then it might be fine but I generally don't listen to it.

13. ucsdmac macrumors 6502

ucsdmac

Retina Macbook Pro. Just updated to 10.8.2 including the new firmware. My battery first showed 3 hours and now its at 4:35. It used to be around 6 hours with 10.8.1. So it got worse.

14. Bayonetwork macrumors newbie

15. SuperSnake2012 macrumors 6502a

The only place I ever noticed any lag on my rMBP was switching spaces. Seems to be completely gone now in 10.8.2.

16. jlin615 macrumors regular

Anybody know if the "black screen after login" issue has been fixed?

17. jonjesse1 macrumors newbie

the applescript to up the screen res to max (9999x9999) to set the screen to its native res stopped working for me.... EVERYTHING IS HUGE NOW lol. this needs to get fixed.

18. jedolley macrumors 68000

I just got home and checked for updates... My EFI and 10.8.2 update are actually bundled/combined in the same update.

Attached Files:

19. nontroppo macrumors 6502

nontroppo

The spaces switching animation (using a gesture) is really sped up and without the horrible S-curve ease-in and ease-out that was so annoying, this is brilliant!!! Smooth!

@jonjessee1: you mean 2880x1800 right? Working fine here.

20. jonjesse1 macrumors newbie

i got it working, it was just after the first reboot after the update that it didnt work. weird.

21. alyshehata thread starter macrumors member

I think it's because I take care of my mac a lot. I have apps like cleanApp and Onyx and I run them nearly every day. I don't keep any thing unneeded on the ssd and stuff..

22. stevelam macrumors 65816

lol @ all of these completely baseless claims of 10.8.2 magically speeding up the RMBP and delusions of making the screen brighter! wow.

23. Maven1975 macrumors 6502a

Mine seems slow to wake now when opening the lid:/

24. ThanatosId macrumors regular

ThanatosId

The lag in mission control, switching desktops and scrolling have been a MAJOR pain in my ass after switching from my 2010 Pro. I assure you, these claims of increased smooth transitions is not baseless. I don't believe it effected all users, but for those of us that it did, this update is God sent. There is a drastic difference. :)