rMBP 13, vs r15 vs Pro 15

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ultra AleM, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Ultra AleM macrumors 6502a

Ultra AleM

Hello guys! I have to buy a new MacBook in two days and I am trying to figure out which of these three models (with, eventually, modifications from the online store) is a better choice. Let's start saying I had a MBA but I sold it because it was a drama with Adobe CS6 heavier tasks and my eyes did not like the screen (the text is so small and strange).

So I think a MBP should be a way better choice. The biggest problem is storage: personally I'm not a fan of 256GB of storage because I can fill them instantly, and they do not allow me to install a 128GB Windows partition.

So here starts the mess: I could get a 512GB SSD rMBP 13 at 1.900€ but It would have a very poor CPU and GPU.

I could get a 500GB HDD MBP but it would have a non-Retina screen, and would be much heavier.

I could get a 512GB SSD rMBP 15 but it would cost 2.300€ (kinda crazy).

What should I do? I'm really indecise, and seeing that there are some Asus Notebooks which are similar to the 15 Pro but cost just 900€ is not inspirational LOL

Thanks

2. Tankmaze macrumors 68000

Tankmaze

maybe external hard drives ? and buy the base 15 rmbp ?

3. henrikrox macrumors 65816

henrikrox

What kind of storage are you worried about

256 goes along way with applications and a couple of games.

I use a thunderbolt external hard drive for media and itunes library etc.

And a NAS for movies and so on.

USB 3.0 works fine also.

4. Ultra AleM thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ultra AleM

If I put my itunes library on an external hdd doesn't it screw up when syncing?

5. etn macrumors newbie

I can't comment on the itunes question, but if you can live without the retina display you might want to consider a 15" with an SSD as startup+application drive and an HDD in place of the optical drive for your data. Not much heavier than the retina (1 pound or so). The hi-res antiglare is great.

6. Schranke macrumors 6502

Schranke

I have all the pictures i work with on a dedicated 750GB HHD USB 3.0 only for that, and its great. no problem in speed and it do not take up much space.
    Personally i do not NEED more then 256GB SSD. and since i moved up from 128GB SSD i have a hard time figuring out what people need all that space for?

7. Ultra AleM thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ultra AleM

I usually have 200GB of stable occupied storage. I have my iTunes library with backups from iPhone and iPad. I have a lot of applications from Adobe etc. i have my stuff with a video folder I always need which is 40GB. I record HD videos and need to take them to the HDD (1GB each) so 256GB is really poor... I always have like 30GB free which do not give me the possibility to do anything.

8. tekksan macrumors regular

I'm not sure if you can purchase refurbs in your country but if you can, check out the refurb store on Apple's site. Lots of good deals. I bought my 2.6Ghz/16GB/512GB off of there and saved a tidy sum.

9. Ultra AleM thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ultra AleM

Yes there are but I don't like them.

Should I buy the 512GB 13 or 15 Retina?

10. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

Depending on what heavy tasks you plan on doing with Adobe CS6, I'd say get the 15". The 15" has a dedicated GPU which could really come in handy with graphic and/or video intensive tasks.

If you don't plan on doing serious photo/video editing or playing any games, then get the 13" as it's cheaper.

11. Ultra AleM thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ultra AleM

Is the HD4000 good? And the dual core i5?

I'd prefer spending 1.900€ than 2.300€...

12. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

Of course cheaper is always better. The HD4000 is good for the average computer user with basic needs. However, I wouldn't count on it for optimal performance if you're a serious and heavy user. Having a Quad-i7 would go quite some ways if you plan on multitasking multiple demanding applications/processes at once.

13. Ultra AleM thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ultra AleM

Is 8GB of RAM enough even for some more serious stuff?

14. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

Yes, definitely. At least *for now*, anyhow.

On a normal (non-Retina) MBP, you can get 16GB RAM for $80. That's very much worth it.

On a rMBP, what you buy at time of configuration is what you get. If you order 8GB RAM, you can never upgrade to 16GB RAM down the road.

That being said, sooner or later 8GB RAM will not be enough and you'll want to have 16GB RAM.

15. Ultra AleM thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ultra AleM

When do you think this is going to happen?

Would you buy the Retina or the Normal?

16. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

1. It's tough to say. It depends on how much multitasking you do, and which applications are running at the same time. Without knowing how much RAM you currently use it's hard to answer.

2. Your second question is a bit of a controversy. I'd say the biggest factors to think about are a) do you *need* the Retina display, and b) how long are you expecting this next purchase to last you and meet your needs?

17. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

If your main issue is heavy work with CS6 then the 15" rMBP with 16 GB RAM or an iMac are the ways to go.

18. Ultra AleM thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ultra AleM

How much space do you think a Windows 8 partition with 3-4 games should take? Is 50GB enough?

I'm still indecise between 256GB and 512GB.

19. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

50GB is more than enough. Games are only 1-2GB per (and that's for a large game).

20. Ultra AleM thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ultra AleM

GTA IV is 10GB :S

21. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

Well then allocate a proper amount for what you think you'll use.

22. Freyqq macrumors 68040

use a symbolic link

23. Ultra AleM thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ultra AleM

?

24. RoboWarriorSr macrumors 6502a

I think you haven't been playing many newer games, most are 7-30 Gb(30 GB including DLC's) unless you mean games like FTL and Minecraft which can both go up to 2-50 GB respectively. In other words 128 GB won't get you far if you want to have an substantial gaming library never mind boot camp. HD 4000 is fairly capable of running programs like Final Cut Pro X with sufficient RAM as both Mac Mini and Macbook Air users can attest ( Mac Mini's use laptop processors to keep the heat down) but future programs might have some issues. All games available on the Mac App Store are playable on the HD 4000 on a decent frame rate (35-50) and graphic settings ( 1440-768 medium-high). The 15-inchers would unnecessary if you're not going to play intensive games on higher settings (~Battlefield 3) or are not going to be editing two 1080p videos at the same time.

25. Ultra AleM thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ultra AleM

So you think I should get a 512GB SSD MBP Retina 13 and save 400€? But the CPU really sucks...