Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RoboWarriorSr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2013
So you think I should get a 512GB SSD MBP Retina 13 and save 400€? But the CPU really sucks...

The CPU doesn't suck per say, it does have hyper-threading so it can act like a quad-core i7. Most applications shouldn't struggle on such a fairly new CPU especially with a clock speed of up to 3 GHz...:D

Ultra AleM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2012
Italy
The CPU doesn't suck per say, it does have hyper-threading so it can act like a quad-core i7. Most applications shouldn't struggle on such a fairly new CPU especially with a clock speed of up to 3 GHz...:D
What about the 2.5 i5 you find in it?

bkends35

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2013
USA
Yes, definitely. At least *for now*, anyhow.

On a normal (non-Retina) MBP, you can get 16GB RAM for $80. That's very much worth it.

On a rMBP, what you buy at time of configuration is what you get. If you order 8GB RAM, you can never upgrade to 16GB RAM down the road.

That being said, sooner or later 8GB RAM will not be enough and you'll want to have 16GB RAM.

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't OSX go to the HDD (or in this case the SSD) if it runs out of RAM? And if one has a SSD, it wouldn't be much of a difference like when Windows uses the hdd for more RAM it gets slow as heck.

If that was confusing I'm asking if OSX will use the SSD for more ram if it runs out?

I know windows will use memory from an HDD/SSD if it runs out of RAM.

RoboWarriorSr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2013
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't OSX go to the HDD (or in this case the SSD) if it runs out of RAM? And if one has a SSD, it wouldn't be much of a difference like when Windows uses the hdd for more RAM it gets slow as heck.

If that was confusing I'm asking if OSX will use the SSD for more ram if it runs out?

I know windows will use memory from an HDD/SSD if it runs out of RAM.

It will but it should be noted that DDR3 has a maximum transfer rate of 6400 m/s which is substantially faster than the 400 m/s a SSD will give.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.