rMBP 15" for gaming only

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bili.d.kid, Mar 8, 2013.

1. bili.d.kid macrumors member

im planning sell my iPhone 4, my mbp 13 late 2011, and saving money to add (if it needs to) for buying a rmbp 15", mostly because of mobile gaming reason. is it "outrageous" to sacrifice those 2 device i loved for this (quite expensive) rmbp 15?

2. Serban Suspended

Do not sell your iPhone 4...your 2011 mbp you can sell it.
    it is a nice computer rMbp but try saving money (without seeling your iphone) untill June/July because then will be for the same money Haswell upgrade.

3. bili.d.kid thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the alert, i still had iPad 3 though :)

4. Stetrain macrumors 68040

If your #1 goal is mobile gaming then you can probably get a lot better performance for your dollar elsewhere, however it probably won't be as thin and well built as the rMBP.

5. urkel macrumors 68030

I have to agree with that. ESPECIALLY considering you are on a budget.

I have a very strong preference toward Macs but if I were ONLY going to use it for gaming then Windows would be the better option. Better prices, better peripherals, more game selection and more discounts on games.

6. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

How important are those factors to you?

1. Running OS X.
    2. Portability (thinness/weight)
    3. Battery life
    4. Screen quality
    5. Build quality

If they are not, you could of course get a Windows gaming laptop with better gaming performance for cheaper.

If those factors are important, then the rMBP is an excellent machine, even strictly for gaming. A similar Windows laptop such as the Razer Blade aims for the same type of elegant gaming machine, and has overall worse specs for the price.

7. Serban Suspended

Better sell your ipad i think.. a phone is must have nowdays. But wait until June and see what money do you have and if you must sell something go for your ipad

8. bili.d.kid thread starter macrumors member

i cant sell my iPad, its my wife and kid center of entertainment :D

----------

until now my 13" mbp its my primary computer, and i prefer mac os. or should i keep this mbp, and buy another that cheaper better win gaming laptop?

----------

TBH, this retina 15" thing little grow on me + positive review on gaming performance in this great forum i just joined.

9. Serban Suspended

Ok just save some money untill June or July and buy it..It is a very amazing computer

10. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

To be honest, an iPhone basically costs about as much as a rMBP.

11. Xgm541 macrumors 6502a

My vote goes for keeping your MBP and getting a gaming desktop instead of a laptop. As somebody who likes to game, I can tell you the rmbp is a great device but it will not satisfy all your needs the same way a desktop will. It can play most modern games fine, but new games will be troublesome. Build yourself a nice gaming pc :)

12. bili.d.kid thread starter macrumors member

how much is the cost of that nice gaming pc cost that play new games? I'm wondering,..i never build any pc game.

13. ratchakrit macrumors newbie

Not too much. Just only 1000$-1500$ that you have to spend on it with this price is enough for gaming. eg. Crysis,Final XIV

14. kensic macrumors 6502

15. Trubbles macrumors regular

I'd strongly recommend a gaming desktop PC, unless you need it to be portable.

I bought the rMBP as a work laptop that could ALSO play games on the road, and it's great for that purpose. However, if you don't need the portability, you could easily build a full computer, including monitor, that beats the gaming performance of the rMBP for about a third of the price (under $1,000 for sure).

I recommend checking out Tom's Hardware - they do monthly features with titles like "Best Graphics Card for the Money, March 2013" that can help you make the most of your gaming computer dollars.

Hope that helps :)

16. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

There are many gaming systems out there that are better and cheaper than the rMBP.

A few months ago, I picked up an Asus gaming laptop for about $1200 and it had the same specs as high end MacBook Pro. Spent another $400 on 2x SSDs and 16GB of RAM, now this gaming laptop is a monster compared to the MacBook Pro. Sure it's 3-inches thick and weighs 10 lbs, but it's still portable and it never gets hot (nor do the fans spin up like crazy).

17. Serban Suspended

Buy yourself an iMac it is a nice all in one, one for all desktop computer.

18. Ultra AleM macrumors 6502a

Ultra AleM

Man, with the same price you get the high-end i7 with 16GB of RAM and GTX 680 Nvidia Graphics best Windows desktop machine to run Battlefield 3 at the ultra highest details in FULL HD.

Don't buy a Retina to play. It will be good, but no the best.

19. bili.d.kid thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the input.i know i can get the best with the desktop, i still thinking of buying a console too.for the gaming at home. But sometimes, when i leave home, which is more often lately, i mean its cool to have my gaming rig everywhere possible.I will do the research for the asus gaming laptop.

20. eezacque Guest

Given the various complaints about rMBP screen, heat and fans, and the way Apple tends to ignore these, build quality is not exactly what comes to mind...

21. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

As other people said build a pc for gaming for around $1,000 that would run crysis 3 on ultra settings , or you can wait until microsoft show the new spec on the xbox 720 and compare them to the future ps4 , the ps4 will also have cross play with the vita so that should be fun

22. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you're looking for a gaming rig, you'll be better off with a windows machine. You can get a really great setup for less money, particularly if you build it yourself.

I love my rMBP but I always advocate use the best tool for the job and in this case there are better options available for less money.

23. snaky69 macrumors 603

This. Not to mention laptops aren't anywhere near as powerful as their desktop counterparts and will need upgrading more often to keep up with games' requirements.

24. jmdMac macrumors regular

Try:
    www.xoticpc.com
    They have a bunch of different gaming laptops for good prices. I bought mine from there a couple years ago and it was a beast for the money.

25. Applefanboy8153 macrumors regular

Get an alienware best for gaming