rMBP 750m unstable when gaming

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by baris3, Aug 15, 2015.

1. baris3, Aug 15, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2015

baris3 macrumors member

Hi,

I just received a rMBP and was gaming on w10 via bootcamp. 750m driver is up to date. Problem is the frame rate was not stable and was dropping so low for a moment which renders the game unplayable. Decided to watch gpu temps and clocks while gaming and I've found 750m gets too hot and clocks down and up which causes freezing/lags because it constantly changes it clocks.

Since 750m was running at lowest clocks possible and starts to fluctuate when it's hot, I tried manually maxing out fans before starting the game. Yeah with pre-maxed out fans maybe clocks were a little bit higher than before at first 5 minutes, but the problem still persisted as clocks are always fluctuate and rendered the game unplayable.

My first thought of the reason was the insufficient 85w power adapter. But I don't understand that because back in 2012 I could play games on 2012 rMBP with 650m without any issues. Frame rates on 650m was always stable as rock. Fans were kicking out of course, but everything was stable. I did not check the clocks of 650m back then but I'm sure it was not changing itself constantly.

Anyone experiencing the same issue with 750m ? My rMBP is a mid-2014 with 2.5 ghz. I've tried both power plan setting balanced and high performance, high performance forces cpu to run at turbo boost speed and temps get hot too quickly. Balanced power plan adjusts cpu speed so it is used only when needed.

Can I force the 750m to run at stock speeds constantly ? It supposed to do run at stock speeds, not fluctuate. I do not even want boost feature, I just want stable stock clocks when gaming so games would be playable.

There is the readings of gpu-z program showing the clocks when running Dota 2 :

Capture.PNG

As we see it fluctuates constantly in game, only when I press alt+tab and go desktop it locks to stock clocks. It does not pass 80 celsius and stays around 70-75 in-game.

2. tamag901 macrumors newbie

tamag901

Try a demanding game under OS X if you have one. If it also starts throttling back, there could be something wrong with the cooling system, like a damaged fan or a thermal not making proper contacts with the graphics chip.

3. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

For the OP did you try a Genius Bar at the Apple Store?

4. baris3 thread starter macrumors member

I could not try a Genius Bar because I've just moved to Istanbul. I can take it to the real apple store genius bar in Istanbul but I don't think it will change anything. Apple designed the macbook that way, you can't play games on it smoothly.

The official service guy (not a genius bar because there was no real apple store at my old city) ran tests for days and he said he can't help me because apple diagnostics tests does not point out any defect.

5. tamag901 macrumors newbie

tamag901

I play games for hours on mine and I don't suffer performance hits from thermal throttling...

6. winston1236 macrumors 68000

Try installing Nvidia GeForce experience and let it optimize your game settings, I use that on all my games, quick and painless settings changes and driver updates.