rMBP 8gb/128gb or wait until next week's event?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lizbean, Mar 14, 2016.

  1. lizbean macrumors newbie

    lizbean

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2016
    Location:
    The south by birth, not choice.
    #1
    I'm very close to clicking "begin checkout" on B&H for the rMBP 8gb/128gb, but two things are holding me back:

    • next week's event (although, I don't mind having an older model of what will possibly be released since I don't use my MBP for gaming, photo/video editing, etc. - an older processor/specs should work for my needs)
    • to upgrade or not to a 256gb before purchasing

    I'm a light user of my current 2009 MBP. I mainly use it for lesson planning, surfing the web, watching videos. I don't have a large music or movie library. I currently have a 40gb photo library in an external hard drive, and would plan to keep it there once I upgrade MBP.

    I was considering a MBA 8gb/128gb (I kinda still am though), but for $120 more (on B&H's site) I can get a retina display and a faster processor in the rMBP. I've done some research the past two days, but can't make a decision. Will 128gb plus an external hard drive last me for several years?

    I need a voice of reason at this time of day/night.o_O
     
  2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2013
    #2
    If you don't need much space and it sounds like you don't then 128gbwill be fine, if you start saving 4K video to it it'll run out in days.
     
  3. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #3
    Personally, I think 128GB is too small, but I guess I'm coming from my own experiences.

    At this point, I'm not sure we'll see a new laptop, but since we're only talking about a week, why not wait just to be sure.
     
  4. Neodym macrumors 68000

    Neodym

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2002
    #4
    In 2016, any non-Retina device would be a no-go for me. So I'd clearly vote for the rMBP.

    OWC recently announced availability of SSD upgrades for current Macbooks (Pro/Air). Therefore you will be able to upgrade your storage in the future, if you find that 128GB are not enough some time down the road.

    A Ram upgrade will most probably not be possible (as in: economically feasible) in the future, though.
     
  5. Closingracer macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2010
    #5

    Still would be cheaper to buy the upgrade space now... 480GB for the pro is like $400-$500
     
  6. Neodym macrumors 68000

    Neodym

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2002
    #6
    On the other hand, if you don't need the space now/in the near future, it's money burned for nothing. I'd consider the OWC offer more as fallback if OP's needs change in the future.

    How is OWC's track record of lowering prices over time?

    Plus, having the OWC offer available, I'd assume that more offers of pulled 256/512GB SSD's will appear on the usual suspects for private selling.
     
  7. lizbean thread starter macrumors newbie

    lizbean

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2016
    Location:
    The south by birth, not choice.
    #7
    For that price, I don't see myself upgrading SDD. I'd just get an external hard drive or just pay the $180 now for 256gb upgrade. I imagine that there are folks who can upgrade the SDD for you (?), I tend to overthink and ruin things once I look under the hood.:oops:
     
  8. mountain macrumors 6502

    mountain

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2007
    Location:
    DFW, TX
    #8
    What do you going to use this laptop for? didn't see it on the first post and didn't read the rest.
     
  9. lizbean thread starter macrumors newbie

    lizbean

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2016
    Location:
    The south by birth, not choice.
    #9
    Word processing, watching videos/movies, storing pictures (some videos), a small movies/music library. I think I'd like to upgrade within 5-6 years.
     
  10. High Desert macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 26, 2015
    Location:
    Powell Butte, Or.
    #10
    I went through the same thought process as, lizbean. I went ahead and got the macbook pro with 8gb ram and 128 gb SSD. As I was going to use this primarily for photo work, I was concerned storage space and opting for base SSD, so got an external 1 TB HDD for file storage figuring that, in the future, someone would come up with a SSD for the new MacBooks. OWC's offering is nice, but still high as it is new. Myself, I'll wait a bit for prices to drop then upgrade. That being said, if you are not going to store big files, lots of photos, then 128 is fine. IF you need more, you can opt for a 1 or 2 TB ext HDD at very cheap prices, $40 and up, then determine later, once prices drop if you want to go to a bigger SSD.
     
  11. Fishrrman macrumors G4

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2009
    #11
    OP wrote:
    "I need a voice of reason at this time of day/night."

    OK, here's your voice of reason answering.

    DON'T buy a MacBook Air. They may be small and light but compared to the MacBook Pros they're hopelessly underpowered with limited connectivity.

    DON'T buy a "current model" MBPro UNTIL the new models are introduced. Once the new models are announced, the old ones will be "closed out" at lower prices.

    DO make your decision on which MBPro (new or old) SOON after the new product announcement (and before the supply of earlier models disappears).
    You can either buy the new model, or a closeout at less cost.

    I think the new models will offer important improvements insofar as driving external video is concerned. Maybe not a critical issue for you now, but will come into play if you decide to hook an external display up (particularly a 4k display).

    Is it possible we'll get USB3.1 on the new ones?
    That would DEFINITELY be "worth waiting for".
     

Share This Page