rMBP audio is impressive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by beowulf70, Jul 7, 2012.

1. beowulf70 macrumors regular

beowulf70

Is anyone else as impressed as I am with the audio produced from the new internal speakers??

I was surprised by the sound produced from such a shallow depth. :cool:
    Not sure I even need new external speakers just yet... :rolleyes:

Well done Apple.

2. mark28 macrumors 68000

Probably because you don't own proper speakers that you can't tell the difference. It's nowhere close to being proper speakers.

3. bitfidelity macrumors member

I would say that the speakers for the iPad 3 are far more impressive.

4. parish macrumors 65816

parish

I don't think the OP was saying they match proper speakers, he was just saying they are good enough not to need to rush out and buy external speakers, i.e. they are better than one would expect in a laptop and I'd agree. They are a major improvement over those in my late '07 MBP even though the rMBP is 2/3rds the thickness. In fact, when I had both machines out to migrate my data across I did a side-by-side comparison and the difference was amazing.

5. Skulltrail macrumors newbie

Skulltrail

How about posting a video to demonstrate just how much better the rMBP speakers are? :)

6. houkouonchi macrumors regular

Not sure how good a video would show it (Just like a video showing the retina display). I do agree though. The speakers are far better than any other laptop I have seen or used. I was also very impressed with them.

7. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

The dynamics and high end are much better in the rMBP. Sometimes it takes playing the right song but the advantages are there.

8. GoreVidal macrumors 6502a

GoreVidal

Beat me to it. My 17" speakers are amazing for laptop speakers, but when it comes to true audio monitoring I turn to my Shures and my M-Audio ref monitors.

9. Jamesesesesess macrumors 6502a

Compared to my 2011 15" MPB, I'm very impressed with the sound coming. I use my Denon AH-D2000's most of the time anyways, but the sound coming from the speakers is still really clear and loud.

10. Fortimir macrumors 6502a

Fortimir

The frequencies that are actually present are good... still anemic bass.

11. Tibits macrumors regular

During the keynote they touched upon vastly speaker quality in the rMBP. I have a hard time distinguishing a significant different from the just OK sound coming from my early 2011 MBP.

Great machine, but I think this minor point was overhyped.

12. Vampire5003 macrumors 6502

Hey what amp do you use to drive your Denon 2000's? I heard they pair well with Matrix M stage and Schiit Audio Asgard.

13. iRyu macrumors regular

please compare it with same class audio system. You're like comparing car and bike.

you should compare with HP laptop Beats *crap* audio and what not.

14. Vampire5003 macrumors 6502

Much Agreed, beats audio sounds like crap any day.

15. Skulltrail macrumors newbie

Skulltrail

A 1080p YouTube video has very good audio/video quality. And if the sound quality is significantly different, viewers should be able to easily tell. If not, then the difference is irrelevant, scraping the OP's point about the rMBP's speakers being better than past generations.

16. Vampire5003 macrumors 6502

IMO to hear the most sound difference get some CD quality music or 320kbps, get an external DAC, and finally a headphones amp. Then run it with some Denon 2000 or Sennheiser HD650 or Beyerdynamic DT880 600OHM, etc.....then let me know the difference you hear in sound quality. That being said, the speakers on the retina Macbook Pro sound better than any other laptop speakers I've heard to date.

17. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

I know some people are saying that they are not so impressed with the speakers, but I have been blown away. I came from a MacBook Air and the bass is incredible compared to average laptop speakers. I have no complaints so far.

18. ekovalsky macrumors newbie

I have a very high end home audio system and some high quality headphones and IEMs too. The rMBP speakers are superb for a laptop, and far better than the 'Beats Audio' in the HP Envy 15, which I had briefly and returned for its flawed IPS screen. The rMBP replaced a Dell XPS Studio 16, which had absolutely horrible sound quality.

Compared to other laptops the mid bass to high frequencies are cleaner and there is much less distortion at higher volume levels. The low bass is of course absent, no way for Apple or anyone else to overcome the laws of physics.

19. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

i too

I too am very impressed with the speakers, would love a little more bass but theyre still sexy.

20. parish macrumors 65816

parish

Bass is the one thing that will always be lacking as it requires volume - the laws of physics as ekovalsky mentioned - but considering how much less volume there is in the rMBP than any other laptop (except the MBA) then it does pretty well :)

21. Jamesesesesess macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately I haven't gotten to buying an amp yet :( the sound is still top notch though. I've been looking at the Digizoid ZO2; it has excellent reviews. Apparently the bass is great (if using a bass-y setting) and it clears up music to sound a whole lot better.

22. beowulf70 thread starter macrumors regular

beowulf70

Guys.. can we all take a chill pill please. I was obviously not comparing the tiny speakers that are in the rMBP to actual external speakers. Jeez. Yes, I'm sure you all have wonderful Shures and M-Audio ref monitors (as do I), but as for sounds coming from a 15" laptop, the new rMBP is sounding really good! Does that clarify my intentions any better?

:rolleyes:

----------

Precisely. ;)

----------

Indeed. :rolleyes:

----------

Hear hear! ;)

----------

By the way... I was comparing the audio on my new rMBP with a mid '11 MacBook Pro. No contest. End of. Shut the **** up.

----------

So, you are suggesting that I don't own proper speakers, and therefore I can't tell the difference between laptop audio and actual external monitor speakers? AND that I would waste my time writing such pointless crap for people like you to miss the point completely? Hmmm... genius.

Lol. If I told you I used to be Senior Designer at Sony... would that inform you any of my experience with audio? :rolleyes:

----------

I too thought the hype was just that.. how could Apple create better sound from a thinner unit? But they have, IMHO.

23. GoreVidal macrumors 6502a

GoreVidal

Do you take offense to most things people say on the internet? :rolleyes:

24. wethackrey macrumors 6502

From what I can remember from my previous 15" MBPs, I agree, the sound on the MBPr is much better. However, I'm migrating from a 17" MBP and I have to say, the MBPr pales in comparison. The sound out of the 17" is stunning. Perhaps what I'll miss most. That, and FireWire 800.

25. beowulf70 thread starter macrumors regular

beowulf70

hehe.. Take offence? Not at all. ;) From what I could see the thread started going down a path of "monitor speakers", "amps" etc etc.. Maybe I should have clarified that my comparison was with an older 15" MacBook Pro. That said, I still think the sound is good on its own.

----------

You are right. The difference is driver diameter can make all the difference.