RMBP Battery %?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Southernboyj, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

I've noticed something strange on the RMBP that is different from my MBA or older MBP.

The battery indicator only have the option to show percentage of battery left. Why is the option to show time remaining gone? Or is there a way to get it back?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You don't see this on your Menu Bar icon?
    ScreenCap 2012-06-22 at Fri, Jun 22,12.05.35 PM .PNG

3. monkthehonk macrumors member

yup, showing time is gone, and my guess is that the time left can be so variable (with such a large a battery) that it isn't that informative anyways

4. Southernboyj thread starter macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

I see this.
    [​IMG]

On my MBA it is working fine.

5. IceAero macrumors newbie

Yeah, it's like they forgot to include this in the special retina version of OSX. If you click the icon it will show you the time remaining, but there is no way to enable the time to be permanently shown with the battery status.

Also, the battery reads 100% when it's clearly at 98% and still charging according to coconut battery. I understand that the last 2% takes a while (20 minutes), but still, stop hiding things!

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's strange. I wouldn't expect that to differ between computers, as long as they're running the same version of Mac OS X. I still depend more on iStat Pro for battery readings.

7. Southernboyj thread starter macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

Exactly my point, maybe I'll give Apple a call, although I don't expect to achieve much from it. Hopefully if this is a bug, it will be fixed with the release of Mountain Lion? Not a big deal, just the little things that bug me. :p (Not enough to return it however!)

8. Vctr macrumors regular

Perhaps it isn't an option when you're plugged in? Try unplugging and see if the option magically appears.

9. Eallan macrumors 6502

I actually noticed this as well. I prefer the time option. Weird that only the RMPB is missing it.

10. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

It shows up just fine on mine!

Percent remaining shows all the time when on battery power, when you click on it, the time remaining is the first thing to show.

11. besler3035 macrumors 6502a

I can tell you that in the DP4 of Mountain Lion, this isn't an option either. It seems like Apple's removed it for good.

12. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

ML doesn't let you show remaining time in the status bar either:

[​IMG]

However, the remaining time does appear when you click on the battery icon:

[​IMG]

You'll notice that they removed the brackets around the percentage and moved it to the left of the battery icon. Changing things for the sake of changing things?

13. Spicedham macrumors regular

The time remaining is pointless because it's so inaccurate. It calculates how much battery you have left and what's going on with the computer at that snapshot.

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

This is very true. Your actual time remaining changes from minute to minute, depending on changes in your workload and configuration.

15. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

I agree. I always thought showing the % was much more useful.

16. doh123 macrumors 65816

Its not the same version. It might be called the same, but it has a different build number than normal OSX 10.7.4.

Having it as an option I think happened in the latest build. When I first got the rMBP I think (but I am not sure) that the option was still there, but after running the big update that upped the OS to a newer build number, it is now gone.

Do people really leave the time left up there? Its always been so inaccurate I've never used anything but a percentage... calculating it all the time also uses more resources and eats the battery up faster :p

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I guess some do. I don't obsess about the battery. I just use my Mac normally, and the battery takes care of itself. I refer to the percentage if I'm running low, so it won't shut down in the middle of something important, but the rest of the time, I ignore it.

18. ctdw macrumors member

19. rajid macrumors member

SBM is great!

Thanks for this tip! SBM is great! It takes up less space on the menu and you can even remove the little battery icon to save even more space. I like it!

20. Habakuk macrumors 6502a

Interesting info here, thanks! SlimBatteryMonitor works fine. Good to know that we got some changes of Mountain Lion earlier than the others. :D

21. Teo Morabito macrumors member

I do have a slight issue with my %
    isight pro and coconut show a % that is like 5% lower than what apple says
    like now i'm at 93% but isight is at 88%
    it also stays at 100% until isight shows around 95% and then begins going down 99% 98...

Any idea as to how to solve this ?
    2.7Ghz rMBP

22. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's normal.

23. Teo Morabito macrumors member

Why ? if you don't mind me asking...

24. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

My guess is something is different in the 2012 models that the 3rd party apps haven't adapted to yet. I would expect that future updates to those apps may correct the discrepancy. See CHECKING STATUS AND HEALTH in the link below. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions:

25. Teo Morabito macrumors member