Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

murphychris

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2012
Today tried installed on a HDD (WD Scorpio blue) through a thunderbolt adapter , after loading the windows files, the setup freezes :eek:

Lots of people are having problems installing Windows to either SSDs or HDDs through Thunderbolt.

Before tried with a 128 M4 SSD, installed without problems.

The enclosures are identical?

kimovski

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2011
Macau
So the same Thunderbolt adapter, only differing between SSD and HDD, and you get an install failure consistently to HDD but not SSD? Peculiar data point.

Well.. This is strange... The first try I have created 5GB of internal partition, the setup freezes. The 2nd try created 1GB of internal it freezes again...
Now the third time with 4GB which I'm installing right now, the setup goes smooth without problems. :confused:

Followed the steps, just changed the partition size...! :confused:

Cheers

rMBP-Trimble

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2012
Windows 8 running on TB Buffalo

Just wanted to thank those in this thread for helping me get Windows 8 installed and running on an external Thunderbolt Buffalo 1TB hard drive on my 15" rMBP (8GB, 250G SSD). I had some stumbles along the way but finally got it installed and running.

- When I tried booting EFI Windows reported that the drive had to be GPT formatted. What I should have been doing was selecting the Windows boot partition so it did the BIOS boot and required MBT partitioning.
- My first attempt at creating a Windows 8 USB stick with Bootcamp looked like it succeeded but the USB stick I used was low quality and it failed to install properly. Second attempt using a quality USB stick worked.

At some point in trying to do all of this I installed rEFIt but I think it got disabled during the Bootcamp process so I'm not sure it was needed at all.

Thanks again!

JT

Maddux

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2012
Hi Everybody,
Just wanted to report that the instructions are working perfectly for me. Tried and worked with Win7 and Win8 on a rMBP. Right now I'm running Win7 off a 5400 RPM drive attached through TB, but I'm going to replace it with an SSD. Has anybody tried cloning it to a new different external drive (using something like Winclone)? Does it still boot fine?

Mikewh

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 18, 2012
Nampa, ID
Hi Everybody,
Just wanted to report that the instructions are working perfectly for me. Tried and worked with Win7 and Win8 on a rMBP. Right now I'm running Win7 off a 5400 RPM drive attached through TB, but I'm going to replace it with an SSD. Has anybody tried cloning it to a new different external drive (using something like Winclone)? Does it still boot fine?

I think I cloned once with norton ghost and it worked fine from clone. (Did it a while a go)

Cloudane

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2007
Sweet Apple Acres
Thank you! Now Windows 8 has finally agreed to install to my LaCie Thunderbolt SSD. I was having problems getting the installer to recognise it as a bootable drive without first going through the Boot camp Wizard and wasting 20GB of my internal drive.

I couldn't get the diskutil command to work but the trick was to use the GUI to create a 1GB FAT partition on the internal drive (less would probably be fine, but I'm sick of redoing it now) AND MAKE IT BOOTABLE/ ACTIVE. That is the key part. I don't know how to make a partition active in OS X but just used a bootable Ubuntu stick and ran gparted, then set the boot flag.

While in gparted, I created a new ms-dos (MBR) partition table on the thunderbolt SSD and made 1 partition. Booted into the Windows 8 installer, formatted the new SSD partition to NTFS and finally it installed!

Mikewh

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 18, 2012
Nampa, ID
Is this method possible using a usb hard drive?

no, from my experience I was not able to install or boot win 7 from usb 3 drive. It is theoretically possible to run but usb 3 drivers need to be injected into the boot. I understand win 8 may be better bet but I understand there are some compatibility or driver issues.

Gascogne

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2012
Sweden
Thank you! Now Windows 8 has finally agreed to install to my LaCie Thunderbolt SSD. I was having problems getting the installer to recognise it as a bootable drive without first going through the Boot camp Wizard and wasting 20GB of my internal drive.

I couldn't get the diskutil command to work but the trick was to use the GUI to create a 1GB FAT partition on the internal drive (less would probably be fine, but I'm sick of redoing it now) AND MAKE IT BOOTABLE/ ACTIVE. That is the key part. I don't know how to make a partition active in OS X but just used a bootable Ubuntu stick and ran gparted, then set the boot flag.

While in gparted, I created a new ms-dos (MBR) partition table on the thunderbolt SSD and made 1 partition. Booted into the Windows 8 installer, formatted the new SSD partition to NTFS and finally it installed!

Step by step guide would be awesome. :D

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
I followed the OP's (first post updated) instructions to the letter and it worked for me on a 13" Retina. No issues and it installed easily.

Actually, this surprised me as it boots from windows on an external drive without any apparent drivers (before you install the support files).

You can see the SATA drivers for an instant when you boot, so I guess Apple has SATA drivers available no matter what. But it's strange.

BTW, I could only get 5GB as the minimum size internal partition (for some reason).

Anyway, a big thanks for this.

update:

I also managed to clone a Bootcamp partition using the new updated Winclone (yes there's a new version), and restore it to a thunderbolt drive. Then booting it from the 5GB FAT bootcamp machine works but gives an error. I then used a Windows 7 install disk and did a repair on the Thunderbolt drive and then it boots normally.

So to sum up: You can run Windows 7 from a TB drive and you can also clone a Bootcamp partition to this TB drive.

One thing that you have to do is before you clone any Bootcamp partition to another model macbook, is you need to uninstall the bootcamp support drivers (just the main one, not the individual drivers), otherwise You will run into problems, trust me. You can't just install Bootcamp support drivers on top of others from a different machine, and it won't even let you uninstall them normally once there there, so you need to get rid of them before you clone. You can then just go back and reinstall the original bootcamp support drivers that you deleted for the clone.

Last edited:

aaronvb

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2008
I followed the instructions from the first post and got it to work perfectly. Only thing I did differently was use the Disk Utility app to partition 5gb(FAT) instead of the command line.

I'm using the Seagate STAE128 Thunderbolt Adapter with a bare 2.5" Seagate Momentus 7200rpm 500gb Hard Drive on Macbook Pro 15 Retina(256gb SSD) using the Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 ISO.

Thanks a ton for this!

thiagon

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2012
Hey I created an account just to thank you guys for this post,

I was looking for a solution for months trying to boot from a USB 3.0 external HD but then I found out this possibility with the thunderbolt and tried it out.
(Didn't want to give so much for a Adapter + cable..)

Anyway,
I have a Samsung SSD 840 Series and a seagate thunderbolt adapter

The instructions given by the first post worked nicely here without any problem for me.

Just follow the instructions!

Again thanks for the help :)

Gascogne

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2012
Sweden
Possible to install windows on external raid?
Like the Lacie Little Big Disk 512ssd thunderbolt.

Would like to create 2 different partitions on it, 256gb for os x and 256gb for windows.

So far I have managed but here is where I get stuck when trying to install windows. Windows finds a lot of partitions but no 256gb size... and can't install due to wrong filesystem (can't formst it to ntfs..).

Total newbie on mac but trying to learn. ;)

*edit*
First will the above work or does it only work say if I remove the raid entirely and use the ssd's seperate in the little big disk (one for os x and one for windows).

Gascogne

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2012
Sweden

I also have a LaCie Thunderbolt SSD 512Gb which I removed the raid on and currently using one ssd for os x and the other one I'm trying to get windows 8 installed on but no success..
  • I have made a usb stick with windows 8 on it with bootcamp.
  • Made a 1Gb fat partition on the internal harddrive plus its bootable (used ubuntu for it).
  • Created one single partition on the ssd which is going to have windows 8 on it.
  • Managed to format it to ntfs when installing windows 8 but after formating it can't be installed on...
  • Tried format it in ubuntu as well no luck.

These are the messages I get.
"Windows can't be installed to this disk. The computer hardware may not support booting to this disk."

"We couldn't create a new partition. [Error: 0x80004005]"

Help would be very much appreciated. :)

Imac 27" 2012

jmcgeejr

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2010
Seattle, WA
I also have a LaCie Thunderbolt SSD 512Gb which I removed the raid on and currently using one ssd for os x and the other one I'm trying to get windows 8 installed on but no success..
  • I have made a usb stick with windows 8 on it with bootcamp.
  • Made a 1Gb fat partition on the internal harddrive plus its bootable (used ubuntu for it).
  • Created one single partition on the ssd which is going to have windows 8 on it.
  • Managed to format it to ntfs when installing windows 8 but after formating it can't be installed on...
  • Tried format it in ubuntu as well no luck.

These are the messages I get.

Help would be very much appreciated. :)

Imac 27" 2012

I too am getting the same thing on my new iMac, I cant even install it to the internal sata drive.

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
Tried it on my rMBP as per the instruction in the OP and worked like a charm.

Using an external Thunderbolt Buffalo portable disk.

Also downloaded Lubbo Fan control and it works like a charm.

I created a 1 GB Bootcamp partition on the rMbp.

Was able to switch to Mac and Windows using option key at boot and no issues.

Update :

The lubbo fan control somehow stuck my fan at high RPM and never got down.

So here is the surprise. When I shut Windows down and booted back to Mac, the fans were still running high for no reason.

So looked up the procedure to reset SMC and saw that Apple recommends putting the computer to sleep, shutdown, restart.

Once I put the computer to sleep and woke it back again, the fans became quite.

So lubbo fan control is not as perfect as I thought it was....

But I have decided to get rid of the bootcamp partition. Don't want to deal with all this mess.

Will do virtual machines...

Last edited:

murphychris

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2012
Resizing with the 'diskutil resizevolume' command in Terminal lets you specify a size in MB, not just GB. Windows only needs 100MB for its boot partition.

Example only:
Code:
diskutil resizevolume disk0s2 106930M MS-DOS CAT 100M

So what you do first is 'diskutil resizevolume disk0s2 limits' to get the current size in bytes of the volume you want to shrink. Divide bytes value by 1000 twice to get MB, and subtract 102. That will shrink the volume by 100MB accounting for a bit of overhead. That's where I got 106930M in the example. MS-DOS is the format for the new 100MB volume, CAT is the name, and 100M is the size which is basically ignored because what matters is the new size of the OS X volume.

This can be done while the OS X volume is online (mounted and booted from).

For more info:
Code:
man diskutil

mixvio

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Has anyone run into issues with this using the 2013 Haswell MacBook Airs? I replaced my rMBP with a 2012 Ivy Bridge 11" Air and the same external Windows 8 To Go install worked fine with no further effort or work required. Unfortunately when I replaced the 2012 Air with the new 2013 model, I would get a bluescreen at boot. I know there have been loads upon loads of issues regarding Boot Camp and the 2103 Airs but I've not been able to get it working (even using the 8.1 Preview, which I'd hoped might include whatever drivers stock 8 doesn't).

Max108

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2013
Having Trouble with LaCie LBD on MacBook Pro with Thunderbolt

Possible to install windows on external raid?
Like the Lacie Little Big Disk 512ssd thunderbolt.

Would like to create 2 different partitions on it, 256gb for os x and 256gb for windows.

So far I have managed but here is where I get stuck when trying to install windows. Windows finds a lot of partitions but no 256gb size... and can't install due to wrong filesystem (can't formst it to ntfs..).

Total newbie on mac but trying to learn. ;)

*edit*
First will the above work or does it only work say if I remove the raid entirely and use the ssd's seperate in the little big disk (one for os x and one for windows).

Hi.

Did you have any luck installing to your LaCie LBD?

I'm trying to install Windows (either 7 or 8) on a LaCie 1TB external SSD attached to a MacBook Pro via Thunderbolt cable. The LaCie drive comes as 2 512GB SSDs in a raid 0 (a.k.a. striped) which, like you perhaps, I assumed added an extra layer of complexity to the problem so I'm trying now to get windows going on just one of the 512GB SSDs and will use the other for video editing. The wall I have hit is that, although the installer will recognise and even format the external SSD, it won't install to it because it says it lacks the necessary driver.

Gascogne

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2012
Sweden
Did you have any luck installing to your LaCie LBD?

No, I tried a lot to solve that problem (was ages ago now).

I ended up using the 2x 256Gb ssd's as separate drives in the end.
One for OS X and the another one for games for Windows, I installed Windows 8 with bootcamp on the internal drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.