RMBP cannibalizing iPad?

appleisgod

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 21, 2008
Has anyone else shunned their iPad since receiving their rmbp? I'm pretty much to the point of selling mine, just seems somewhat lacking when your laptop now has a retina screen yet can also do the things a personal computer should be able to accomplish. Any one else?

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
Poole, England
Has anyone else shunned their iPad since receiving their rmbp? I'm pretty much to the point of selling mine, just seems somewhat lacking when your laptop now has a retina screen yet can also do the things a personal computer should be able to accomplish. Any one else?
They are different devices for different purposes. Kitchen paper towels don't cannibalise the use of toilet paper in my house.

macjram

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2008
I don't really see how the retina screen warrants it as an iPad replacer

Mashuri

macrumors member
May 9, 2011
Yup. I have forsaken my iPad in favor of the rMBP. My wife now keeps it for herself.

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
I'm sure the rmbp cannibalizing the ipad is a problem that Apple would welcome in heartbeat. A $2200 product "cannibalizing" a $500 product would be a good problem to have.

Last edited:

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Nope. The Ipad and iPhone carry my music, movies, and photos to share on the road. I use the Ipad to do email in airports and cafes...not a laptop. The rMBP's SSD data is inbox, calendars, reminders.....and the rest of that SSD space is for collecting photos in the field. Those photos will be moved to external drives back home.

largefarrva

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2012
Count me as one of the one's that barely uses their iPad anymore since getting the rMBP. You're definitely not alone OP. :)

cstm

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2012
I still use my aluminium unibody late 2008 macbook more than the retina :rolleyes: But the retina is actually lighter! that's pretty good.

Lvivske

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2011
yes. the portability and something-like 10hr battery life means i take it with me around the house, so grabbing a tablet is just a waste of time, and a poorer experience

the rmbp is glued to me now.

jbud72

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2010
Jacksonville, FL
I was also glued to my iPad before I got my rMBP. I've had every iPad and love them, but since getting the rMPB, it's all I want to use. It's so much smaller (and therefore bearable) and portable than the cMBP's, and the screen is beautiful. Maybe it's just the newness of it, but I currently have little interest in using my iPad

wethackrey

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2007
Redondo Beach, California
They are different devices for different purposes. Kitchen paper towels don't cannibalise the use of toilet paper in my house.
That begs the question which device is which paper product in your scenario? :) And, as a bachelor, I'm not sure that's true in my house. Sometimes it's whatever paper product you can find. Explaining why I try to but TP by the case lot. :)

Truthfully I don't find that my use cases have changed with the release of the MBPr. I still use my iPad when I'm on the go and for content consumption (WSJ, news, Netflix, etc.). I use whatever device is handy to read email. If the MBPr is nearby I use it to compose email. And the MBPr is definitely my work appliance. That hasn't changed.

Other than reducing a buyer's available disposable income, in my segment of the market I don't see the MBPr cannibalizing the iPad or vice versa. I would imagine the MBPr is taking a chunk out of MBA business though.

jonfarr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2012
Portland
My iPad is more of a media device. I have a slingbox I use to watch TV/sports with on the iPad. I watch MLB.tv and MLS live on it too. I also use it to surf the web and do other things when not using my laptop.

I use my iPad in tandem with my laptop and TV on many occasions.

dmccloud

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
While some people might be putting their iPads down in favor of the rMBP, I honestly doubt that it's putting a dent in iPad sales/usage across the board. Now if the question was if the rMBP is cannibalizing sales of the cMPB, you'd have a better point of comparison. Both variants of the MBP target the same type of user, whereas the iPad really targets a different user.

Drag'nGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2008
Not in any way what so ever. I think you're still in the honeymoon phase. My iPad sits on my coffee table and 12 feet away is my computer desk. When I get an email, I grab my iPad. Read a book, iPad. Take to work, iPad. Etc...

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
Poole, England
Sometimes it's whatever paper product you can find. Explaining why I try to but TP by the case lot. :)
That is indeed the point of my comment. You can get away with substituting TP and kitchen towels for either use, but TP is not great at being a kitchen towel and kitchen towels are not great at being TP. Even though they are similar, they serve different purposes, much like a tablet and a computer. You can use a computer for stuff best done on a tablet and vice versa, but it won't be a brilliant experience.

dmax35

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2012
Kitchen paper towels don't cannibalise the use of toilet paper in my house.
Hmmm, what if you use 1 sheet of Bouty the quicker picker upper vs a few rounds of toilet paper. The paper towel could be a money safer and cleaner whipe on your budget. :D

Sorry back to the subject.

sireShonBohn

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2012
At first, yes, after awhile, not so much. rMBP is the work machine, iPad is the games and media machine. I love the iPad because it's easy to kick back and relax with.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Hmmm, what if you use 1 sheet of Bouty the quicker picker upper vs a few rounds of toilet paper. The paper towel could be a money safer and cleaner whipe on your budget. :D

Sorry back to the subject.
Oh wait, you save money now? :rolleyes:

Sorry back to subject.

wethackrey

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2007
Redondo Beach, California
That is indeed the point of my comment. You can get away with substituting TP and kitchen towels for either use, but TP is not great at being a kitchen towel and kitchen towels are not great at being TP. Even though they are similar, they serve different purposes, much like a tablet and a computer. You can use a computer for stuff best done on a tablet and vice versa, but it won't be a brilliant experience.
Well you missed the point of MY post, which was that, as a bachelor, sometimes you're lucky to find newspaper when you need TP. :) I do agree with your point, BTW.