rMBP Cooling Update/Silent Tweak

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by terraphantm, Oct 22, 2012.

1. terraphantm macrumors 68040

I keep seeing this mentioned throughout the forums, but I can't find any mention of it on any of the usual rumor sites. Can someone post a link to the source?

2. Mac-Tech macrumors regular

Mac-Tech

This was briefly mention on the front page of this forum under the iMac section it is a "silent tweak" so there is no way of knowing if it has happened or when it will happen...SUCKS I know...I am waiting for something too..

3. terraphantm thread starter macrumors 68040

I'll believe it when I see it. The rMBP already runs cooler than other macbook pros, I just can't see the cooling being a priority. At the most maybe a change in thermal paste or something

4. Snowshiro macrumors 6502

This. It doesn't have a cooling problem. If it did, machines would be shutting down because their CPUs were reaching critical temperatures.

For general use it's fine. The only time mine gets particularly hot is gaming, when I'm pushing it as hard as it can go. But that's true for every laptop I've ever owned. And the temperatures are well within Intel's operating limits.

5. shansoft macrumors 6502

In the idle state, yes its a lot cooler, but anything normal web browsing, the temperature is higher than cMBP

It will throttle the CPU when it reach over 75c. It's also unbearable to touch the keyboard or even put onto the laptop.

Also, this is not true for every laptop, it's MBP design.

6. ljx718 macrumors 6502

i guess i must be lucky becuase browsing on flash heavy sites like the gawker sites, my rmbp runs in the mid 30's C. I was emulating some gamecube games yesterday with all settings max and the highest it reached was low 70's.

i know some are having problems, but i just think mayeb the thermal paste was put incorrectly or something.
    i had the 17 in 2010 mbp and it ran hotter than my rmbp. it would idle at mid 40's c with nothing open

7. terraphantm thread starter macrumors 68040

In my experience, it's cooler than other MBPs at both idle and load. Except maybe with the latest efi update since its running the CPU at 3.4GHz+ at idle (which is just unnecessary).

And I know of plenty windows laptops, gaming ones at that, that get well above 90°C. It's just not possible to run high end CPU and GPUs in a laptop enclosure and expect desktop temperaturs.

8. Queen6, Oct 23, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2012

Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

I have a base Retina and a Late 2011 2.4 15" MBP and the Retina runs far cooler unequivocally so. What i do observe is that the temperature sensor arrangement significantly differs between Ivy Bridge and Sandy Bridge

• Ivy Bridge - Core Temperature, CPU Proximity
    • Sandy Bridge - Core Temperature, CPU Temperature, CPU Proximity
    As reported by Bresink Temperature Monitor

Therefore temperature monitoring apps may report temperature very differently, my own Retina reports higher temperatures than my Late 2011 under equivalent load, with the same software yet the Retinal is physically cooler by a fair margin. I believe this is one of the reasons for the Retina temperature hype. If you have been using an app for several years to monitor the temperature of your Mac, you will indubitably trust it. Exit old Mac, enter a new Retina and all your temps are elevated, something must be awry with this new system.

Unless you have both systems, have access to thermal imaging and/or an IR thermometer or have a strong understanding of the cooling systems it`s extremely easy to come to the conclusion that the Retina Runs hotter off the back of that favoured temperature monitoring app.

FWIW my observations are based on my own systems, UltraFan, SMC Fan Control, Bresink`s Temperature Monitor, Fluke Ti125 Thermal imager, UNI-T UT301C IR Thermometer. I don't consider my Late 2011 to be a "cooker" as it runs well within Apple`s specs and compares to most others i have seen.

9. shansoft macrumors 6502

I have used plenty of laptops, and very rare for them to run up above 90c. Most of them have high end CPU. (NO, GT 650M is NOT high-end GPU)
    Max is around 85c under full stress without throttling, unlike MBP series where it can goes up to 100c easily, while it still trying to throttle to lower down temp.

It's the design for MBP that caused the high temp that people are seeing.

10. AzN1337c0d3r macrumors 6502

I think it is a model refresh. I've noticed on the Apple site that the 13-inch and 15-inch Retina models have the dual microphones with holes on the side now.

11. tadziak macrumors regular

And in which photos do you see that 15' has the dual microphones holes on the side now? I see it only for 13 inch....

12. imMango macrumors member

15 is still under the speaker grills.

13. omgitscro macrumors 6502a

omgitscro

The r15" has always had dual microphones. All MacBooks with speaker grilles have had their microphones behind the grille, not on the side.

14. AzN1337c0d3r macrumors 6502

http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/specs-retina/

Notice that the section on Connection and Expansion now spans the 13 AND 15-inch Retina (as opposed to the other sections) and the large picture shows 2 holes on the side pointing to dual-microphone.

15. xxcysxx macrumors 6502

but underneath the picture the text in grey clearly says 13 inch model shown. perhaps that location for the dual mic is only on the 13 inch model.

16. sigp239sas macrumors newbie

The picture is saying that it is the 13 inch model...

17. AzN1337c0d3r macrumors 6502

This is true, but it's labeled only on the USB3.0/HDMI/SD view and thus is ambiguous at best.

My confusion (and possibly several future 15-inch purchasers) could be alleviated it they labeled the top half with 13-inch shown as well or simply post the pictures for the 15.

18. Mac-Tech, Oct 24, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2012

Mac-Tech macrumors regular

Mac-Tech

The only way to confirm if the 15" RMBP got the two side holes is to go to a Apple store and see if they got the updated 15" in stock. The one on the Apple site is showing a 13" RMBP display so not sure if the 15" got those two small holes on the side too??

19. rmwebs macrumors 68040

Just a thought - the higher temp could be where the CPU goes into 'Turbo Boost' (aka overclocking) as this will produce extra heat.

20. shansoft macrumors 6502

turbo boost only works on 1 core most of the time, and when the temp goes up, it will go down to stock.

21. Daniel L macrumors 6502

Turbo boost works on 1-4 cores depending on temperature and load

22. terraphantm thread starter macrumors 68040

That may've been true with nehalem CPUs. With sandy bridge and ivy bridge (definitely at least ivy bridge), I find my 4 cores are very frequently at 3.4GHz

----------

The only time I recall my rMBP hitting 100ºC was when the ambient was very warm (85ºF). And that was only the CPU, I don't think my GPU got quite as warm. Also, GT 650M may not be high-end, but it's not really low-end either. And it really should be labeled a GTX 660M - which is generally considered to be a mid-high end GPU in the mobile space.

My friend's alienware used to hit 100ºC all the time, even after thoroughly cleaning it. It wasn't until we replaced the thermal paste with some higher end stuff that the temps started staying below 90 at load.

In any case, I don't know of any laptop (except for maybe huge things that may as well be desktops) that can maintain 75ºC with a quad core CPU and GPU at full load. No cooling update for the rMBP will be able to achieve that.

23. Neodym macrumors 65816

Neodym

My 15" rMBP purchased early November and coming already with 10.8 Mountain Lion preinstalled, does NOT have those two microphone holes on the side...

24. Sound Evolution macrumors 6502

Mine get way to hot with just average workload.

Attached Files:

25. br3nt macrumors member

No two small holes on my rMBP 15" either. got it couple of days before ML release