rMBP Cost Category (Vote Now!)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by HighEndMac, Jul 16, 2012.

?

About How Much Did You Spend On Ur New rMBP?

1. $2000s

81 vote(s)
    52.6%
  2. $3000s

57 vote(s)
    37.0%
  3. $4000s (MAXED)

16 vote(s)
    10.4%
  1. HighEndMac macrumors regular

I just wanted to know the number of people purchasing higher-end rMBP.

Let us know where you fall in this cost poll for the rMBP.

2. Trey M macrumors 6502a

Trey M

This is a cool idea, but you probably won't get the most accurate statistics from users on this site. Probably 60-70% of buyers, if not more, will buy the baseline rMBP from the Apple Store because they want the cheapest way to use the nicest machine. Like the auto industry, usually the base model is the one that sells the most. This is because people want the newest, nicest models, but they are often left with less car and less features than they would've gotten with something more cost effective. (I'm not saying you get less machine for more money with Apple, that's a completely different topic.)

My point is, people on this forum (including myself) like Apple way too much and tend to want the highest end everything.

3. Urban Spaceman macrumors member

Really? :rolleyes:

4. HighEndMac thread starter macrumors regular

Come on man, some text short-hand is acceptable. Give me a break, I code hundreds of lines a day.:D

I do seem to be one of two jackasses dropping $4K on a laptop.:eek:

5. kamran9558 macrumors regular

its obvious that this poll will end up like this

most people spent 2000s
    then 3000s
    then 4000s

6. HighEndMac thread starter macrumors regular

I still would like to see the numbers of high-end users this early in the game.

7. sofianito macrumors 65816

sofianito

Do you feel you spent too much money? Are you willing to return it? :)

Unless you are rich, 4000 bucks is toooooo much money for a technology that needs to improve. A rMBP revision will probably appear at the beginning of next year...

8. VSLRA macrumors member

VSLRA

9. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

I took the baseline... up'd the cpu, and up'd the RAM - left the SSD @ 512GB.

10. HighEndMac thread starter macrumors regular

Vote $3000s

----------

Yes, I kinda do feel like I spent too much on the first gen rMBP. Yes I am willing to return it, however my 2008 MBP is on its last leg.

I'm not rich personally, my father is very successful and he did help me out, but even with that I feel guilty spending so much on what I want to be a 4 year investment.

11. sofianito macrumors 65816

sofianito

If you wanna belong to the circle of retina early adopters, then why don't you get the base model and resell it whenever the new revision is released?

12. terraphantm macrumors 68040

After education discount and tax, mine came out to just under $3000. Still having a little sticker shock. And now I'm wondering if I'm better off with a cMBP. Just saw a coworker with an anti-glare MBP, and it does look quite good IMO

13. HighEndMac thread starter macrumors regular

I did the math and I could not afford to purchase a maxed out rMBP next year even if I got the cheapest rMBP this year. quite a quagmire...

14. bossxii, Jul 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2012

bossxii macrumors 68000

Love people with BB store credit that want cash... Paid a guy on CL $2,450 for the 2.6/8gig/512 upper base. Love it.

Toss the retina display out... I'd pay the $400 premium for the fact it's a 15" quad core machine that is 2 lbs lighter than the regular model, yet you also double the ram to 8gig and get a SSD for storage. The form factor, weight is fantastic considering I carry this computer daily for work, and to and from the office. The retina display is the bonus factor that I can work in 2048x.... or whatever resolution I need when not hooked to a monitor. Desktop 1440x900 just doesn't cut it anymore once you have this type of screen available. Worth every penny to me.

15. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Ultimate BTO 15" MBPr including AppleCare & fees, total out of pocket expense $ 4,540

Now you know how Apple makes so much money :)

16. HighEndMac thread starter macrumors regular

YES:D I'm not the only one!:apple:

17. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Apple and other oems push these things as a 3 year cycle. Most of the popular warranty options cap out at 3 years total. Proprietary form factor + SSD is kind of a downside here. You can't find a good price on an ssd once prices drop off. OWC offers upgrades for the Airs, yet they're much more expensive than a typical 2.5" SSD. It's probably related to density and a proprietary form factor/limited volume item.

You wouldn't need to anyway unless you feel it'll come up short in some aspect in the near future. It's a bad idea trying to max something out to "futureproof" it. It makes the most sense when you're sort of on the edge right now and the void is reasonably large between upgrades. In terms of cpu power, the upgrade options are pretty bleh if you're on a budget. Ram and storage are where you should pay attention. 8 to 16 or 256 to 512 is a much bigger difference than base clock 2.3 vs base clock 2.6 when in a single year architectural updates will make it so that the cheapest of the new options typically outpaces the fastest of the old ones assuming comparable cpu classes and core counts (as in don't expect i5 haswell air to outpace the 2.6 ivy).

By the way, what about is currently wrong with your 2008? Are you having hardware issues or is it just too slow to keep up? Just wondering..

18. MacGurl111 macrumors 65816

MacGurl111

I go with the base model on everything. I see nothing wrong with that as I upgrade almost every year (iPad, iPhone and Macs). Makes it very easy to sell and I don't lose out on much.

Maybe one day I'll buy the high end stuff should I decide to keep the machine for longer than a year and half...

19. dank414 macrumors member

I spent $2900 (2.6/16/512) on mind.. but I still haven't bought Apple Care *tipping point :(

20. AirThis macrumors 6502a

Just curious, does the cost of Applecare count? ;)

21. HighEndMac thread starter macrumors regular

Well for one it has an HD not an SSD and its only around 200GB so space is an issue for one. (I know, external drives, but i need everything saved on the computer) I also know about adding an SSD, but at this point i just dont think its worth it. The body of my 08 MBP is a little beat-up and i have been waiting to upgrade since word of ivy started coming out, so like 12 months. Second yes the performance is getting very sluggish.

----------

I didnt count it, but i also have not gotten it yet. If i keep the rMBP ill get it.

22. fkhan3 macrumors 6502

Mine will be around $3600 including Applecare

23. The night fox macrumors newbie

Maxed out but saved about $600 due my student discount.

24. Doggonit macrumors regular

About $3200 each after EDU discount. I bought two. :)

25. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I opted for the base rMBP but with a memory upgrade