Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jomirrivera

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
Hi, I need some help.

I'm planning on getting a rMBP and I have the money to go for it right now but....I'm thinking of wating for the second generation and getting a Macbook air for now. I would like a better GPU and Hasswel!

What do you people think?

SchuettS

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
Hi, I need some help.

I'm planning on getting a rMBP and I have the money to go for it right now but....I'm thinking of wating for the second generation and getting a Macbook air for now. I would like a better GPU and Hasswel!

Why would you get an Air now instead of the RMBP? I'm just guessing here but your going to sell the Air when the next gen RMBP comes out? Why not by the current RMBP now and sell that instead?

jomirrivera

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
Why would you get an Air now instead of the RMBP? I'm just guessing here but your going to sell the Air when the next gen RMBP comes out? Why not by the current RMBP now and sell that instead?

I think I will loss more money trying to sell the rmbp that trying to sell the mba

FYDave

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2011
I think it depends on which tier rMBP model you purchase.

I feel that depending on the tier, given that the rMBP is newer technology, it would retain more value than a MacBook Air would.

Dominus Mortem

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2011
Hi, I need some help.

Have you test driven a rMBP yet? I for one think that my 15" rMBPs are the fastest laptops I have ever used. I've heard of this supposed UI lag problem but have yet to see it. The apps that are retina ready now comprise an impressive list, especially now that Photoshop has come online with a retina update. I haven't tried it yet, but will download it soon - the old Photoshop blazes on this machine, everything is really, really fast. I'm not sure how much more bump you're going to get with Haswell - if it's like other recent updates I'd expect 10-15% and they can only put so much more in these laptops I think before you need more and bigger batteries and more robust cooling. I just don't see major jumps in the next release. It's always going to be incremental in this day and age.

The rMBP is going to have strong resale value. These are highly desired laptops that aren't going to drop in value by large amounts.

jomirrivera

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
Have you test driven a rMBP yet? I for one think that my 15" rMBPs are the fastest laptops I have ever used. I've heard of this supposed UI lag problem but have yet to see it. The apps that are retina ready now comprise an impressive list, especially now that Photoshop has come online with a retina update. I haven't tried it yet, but will download it soon - the old Photoshop blazes on this machine, everything is really, really fast. I'm not sure how much more bump you're going to get with Haswell - if it's like other recent updates I'd expect 10-15% and they can only put so much more in these laptops I think before you need more and bigger batteries and more robust cooling. I just don't see major jumps in the next release. It's always going to be incremental in this day and age.

The rMBP is going to have strong resale value. These are highly desired laptops that aren't going to drop in value by large amounts.

And what about the gpu upgrade?
Will that make a big difference?

duckrabbit

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2012
Why not just get the maxed out rMBP and keep it for more than a year? It will still be fast a year from now.

Dominus Mortem

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2011
And what about the gpu upgrade?
Will that make a big difference?

What I've read indicates the major problem is lack of multi-threading, not really the GPU. Anandtech touches on this problem. Basically he says it's a software issue that needs to be solved by developers and that it will take time. I cannot state that this is really what is going on, I can only pass on what is said by people who seem to have reliable knowledge on the subject. Don't take anything you read in these forums for any kind of expert knowledge. Even saying that, I can't seem to find sluggish behavior anywhere that I can trace to a rMBP issue.

Taking the bigger view, it's unlikely that Apple will sit still on anything that is perceived as hindering the "user experience" as that is one of their big mantras.

If it was a gpu issue I'd think that I'd see large photos being choppy and slow loading into photoshop but I can load 10mb+ photos into PS in the blink of an eye. I can scroll around HUGE files in PS without any choppy behavior. People talk of choppy scrolling in web browsers, but sites that are choppy on my rMBP are just as choppy on my Air so I think it's something else going on.

jomirrivera

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
What I've read indicates the major problem is lack of multi-threading, not really the GPU. Anandtech touches on this problem. Basically he says it's a software issue that needs to be solved by developers and that it will take time. I cannot state that this is really what is going on, I can only pass on what is said by people who seem to have reliable knowledge on the subject. Don't take anything you read in these forums for any kind of expert knowledge. Even saying that, I can't seem to find sluggish behavior anywhere that I can trace to a rMBP issue.

Taking the bigger view, it's unlikely that Apple will sit still on anything that is perceived as hindering the "user experience" as that is one of their big mantras.

If it was a gpu issue I'd think that I'd see large photos being choppy and slow loading into photoshop but I can load 10mb+ photos into PS in the blink of an eye. I can scroll around HUGE files in PS without any choppy behavior. People talk of choppy scrolling in web browsers, but sites that are choppy on my rMBP are just as choppy on my Air so I think it's something else going on.

Well I will keep that in mind!
thanks!!

AirThis

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2012
Hi, I need some help.

Buy a cheapo Laptop PC and wait 9 months. You can run Ubuntu on it. You will only need to shell out about 400 dollars. Next September, Sell it for US $ 299. That's a 101 dollar loss. If you're a very good salesman you might even be able to cut your losses at 50-70 bucks.

zjazz

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2011
Why wait? Get the RMBP and be happy!!!!:) And don't worry about what's coming, because then you will never buy one. There will be ALWAYS newer stuff. And current RMBP are more than enough for any task. Make sure to get 16GB ram because those are not upgradable. It is a great machine!!! :):):)

Rhinoevans

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2012
Las Vegas, NV
Hi, I need some help.

Dont wait, and the Haswell is not that big of a deal

jomirrivera

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
Dont wait, and the Haswell is not that big of a deal

I really dont care a lot about the new processor speed, but I do care about the upcoming graphic performance!

Do you think the new graphics will make a huge difference?

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
Instead of wasting money on it now and going through the hassle of selling it later just wait a while. More than anything it will receive a spec bump soon.
I doubt it'll be soon, and even if it is, it's going to be a speedbump to 2.8ghz which is the only ivybridge cpu left for apple to use, and the only one released after retina was first introduced.

I really dont care a lot about the new processor speed, but I do care about the upcoming graphic performance!

On the 15" which has a dedicated GFX, not that much.
As far as I looked into Haswell it's more likely that Air's and low-spec MacBooks will get the updates first, since it's big about integrated graphics and power-efficiency, which just screams ultrabook.

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
I personally am waiting until the 2015 MacBook Pro's come out. I hear Intel is cooking up something awesome and I bet the GPU performance will be stellar then.

But, I may hold off for the 2016 refresh, we'll see.:p

Honestly, I have the 13" rMBP and love it. SSD+Ivy Bridge Core i5+8GB of RAM is more than enough for everything I do (and what most people do). If you have to have more power for gaming and high-end video editing, spend the money on the 15" and you'll be all set for years to come.

jomirrivera

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
I personally am waiting until the 2015 MacBook Pro's come out. I hear Intel is cooking up something awesome and I bet the GPU performance will be stellar then.

But, I may hold off for the 2016 refresh, we'll see.:p

Honestly, I have the 13" rMBP and love it. SSD+Ivy Bridge Core i5+8GB of RAM is more than enough for everything I do (and what most people do). If you have to have more power for gaming and high-end video editing, spend the money on the 15" and you'll be all set for years to come.

I'm not talking about the integrated graphics performance. I would like a better performance for my occasional gaming!

Since I don't need the computer right away, I would like to know if there are some nice additions coming up!

Mr MM

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2011
the problem is that kepler will be the arch that nvidia will use next year, maxwell will only be available when broadwell launches, i.e. 2014

if apple comes back to amd, there will be gcn+

in terms of cpu power you know it will be around 10-15% increase. In terms of gpu power for the hd4600 its going to be around 50% or more, which for the rmbp 15 doesnt make a lick of difference. The best thing here going on is the power saving features and the new p state of the cpu

I would actually wait for next year to make a purchase, due mostly to the software side of things, than the hardware, aside that I want the 13 not the 15.

jomirrivera

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
the problem is that kepler will be the arch that nvidia will use next year, maxwell will only be available when broadwell launches, i.e. 2014

if apple comes back to amd, there will be gcn+

in terms of cpu power you know it will be around 10-15% increase. In terms of gpu power for the hd4600 its going to be around 50% or more, which for the rmbp 15 doesnt make a lick of difference. The best thing here going on is the power saving features and the new p state of the cpu

I would actually wait for next year to make a purchase, due mostly to the software side of things, than the hardware, aside that I want the 13 not the 15.

So the dedicated graphic performance difference wont be a lot?

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Get a rMBP with 2.6 or 2.7 CPU and 16GB of memory...and Apple Care. Then you are set for at least 3 years.

Dominus Mortem

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2011

I'm confused. I use my rMBP for photo editing, I edit HUGE raw files, it flies, it handles dozens at a time, I mean it's the fastest machine I've ever seen for editing graphics. How much more do you need? Are you editing 5 gig photo files or something? Will anyone possibly notice even 20% more GPU speed? I've heard some of the newer games have low frame rates at some of the scaled resolutions - if you want the fastest gaming machine, you probably should be looking at a PC laptop designed to handle the newest games.

Mr MM

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2011

Im not confident that there will be a large difference, mainstream market is always problematic, usually what nvidia does is launch an arch, and rebadge the gpus next year with slightly higher clocks, if its amd, we might see a big gap in performance

afterall they are trailing behind in performance when you compare the 7750m to the 650m

F1 Fan

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2012
Germany
Surely the thing to do is to wait until your current machine gets to the point of making you want to drop it from a high platform / throw rocks at it / give it bath just to show it who's boss and then buy the newest, best, most suitable machine that you can afford so that it lasts as long as possible. Don't stress about "what will the next iteration bring?" because the next one will always be better than the one you bought but yours will be good for some time to come :)

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008

I doubt seriously it. You could see normally clocked 660M or something among those lines... With apple there's always power consumption to think about.

jomirrivera

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
Surely the thing to do is to wait until your current machine gets to the point of making you want to drop it from a high platform / throw rocks at it / give it bath just to show it who's boss and then buy the newest, best, most suitable machine that you can afford so that it lasts as long as possible. Don't stress about "what will the next iteration bring?" because the next one will always be better than the one you bought but yours will be good for some time to come :)

Best comment so far!
LMFAO

----------

I'm confused. I use my rMBP for photo editing, I edit HUGE raw files, it flies, it handles dozens at a time, I mean it's the fastest machine I've ever seen for editing graphics. How much more do you need? Are you editing 5 gig photo files or something? Will anyone possibly notice even 20% more GPU speed? I've heard some of the newer games have low frame rates at some of the scaled resolutions - if you want the fastest gaming machine, you probably should be looking at a PC laptop designed to handle the newest games.

I understand this but, since I don't need the machine ASAP and I'm planning on doing some gaming on it, with the best possible settings, I was wondering if it was a good idea to go for it now or wait.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.