rMBP-happy thoughts

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ilgreatluigi, Jul 24, 2012.

1. ilgreatluigi macrumors member

Jan 8, 2012
    I just purchased my rMBP (2.6 ghz/16gb/512 gb) two days ago. The price is undoubtedly high, but I concluded that the productivity boost that it will provide at work(for its lifetime) was worth the $. While waiting for it's arrival, I've been reading through these threads to gather opinions about the rMBP, and I must say that I have never seen so many negative opinions about an Apple product.

I admit that I did not find the "new Ipad" as revolutionary as promised, but I couldn't help my jaw from dropping as I followed WWDC on the "SoldierKnowsBest" llivestreaml. IMHO I thought no computing unit has made such leaps as the new rMBP. I mean 7 hours of battery life on a 15 inch screen is enough for me to want to buy it outright.

My excitement for my new device is dwindling though from all the hate that many individuals have for this new generation of MBPs. Can some forum members please post about their experience with the rMBP. I specfically would love to read opinions about users moving from the 2011 model to the rMBP. Is the rMBP your new "can't live without it device" or could you easily transition back to your 2011 model in the blink of an eye? Thanks for all your help.
  2. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

Oct 16, 2007
    I've said this same thing on numerous different threads about every product: More often than not you are going to read threads and comments about people who have problems with the product versus reading threads and comments from people who actually love the thing.
  3. DVD9 macrumors 6502a

Feb 18, 2010
    If the complaints about the scroll lag continue do you think Apple will announce a recall?
  4. kdoug macrumors 6502a

Jun 2, 2010
    Iowa City, IA USA
    I use mine at work and lock it up when I leave. When I'm at home I pretty much use my iPad 3, but it's not the same. I absolutely love my Retina and can't wait to power it up in the morning. I couldn't anymore go back to using a classic than I could go back to using an iPad 1.
  5. rjg125 macrumors newbie

May 22, 2006
    Hi there. I have been waiting for the perfect laptop from apple for a while now. I thought the 17inch mbp was that machine. So during the last 5 years I have been a 17" mbp user and have been very happy with it. When the rentina mbp was announced I was excited and although a 17 wasn't available, the high res option I have been using for about 5 years now would be close to the retina screen. But no, it's better and more amazing that I could have imagined. I bought a 768/16/2.7 as I intend this to be my only purchase for he next 5 years. I do front end web development and graphic design. Although there is still a lot of work to be done in terms of apps ready for it I don't regret a single penny spent on this piece or machinery. My machine has no bleeding, no battery issues, no scratches, no blemishes, it s running mountain lion beautifully and is connected to a thunderbolt display I got with it. It is faster than anything I have ever used. Do not let the cranky, unhappy, unsatisfiable complainers here detract you from the fact that you will own the best and most advanced laptop ever made available to consumers. Have drink and cheers...
  6. kdoug macrumors 6502a

Jun 2, 2010
    Iowa City, IA USA
    A recall for a software fix? :rolleyes:
  7. mac jones macrumors 68040

Apr 6, 2006
    Yikes. You will be glad you bought this. FOR **** sake it's awesome.

It's the best piece of gear Apple has ever made (well, maybe :eek: ). Anyway,
    people post the strangest things on the Internet, no? :D
  8. driftless macrumors demi-god

Sep 2, 2011
    The haters, the nit pickers, the want to have their post be seen folks. The rMBP is a real game changer.
  9. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Dec 21, 2011
    Aren't you supposed to ask these questions before you buy something? :eek:
  10. tillsbury macrumors 65816

Dec 24, 2007
    Yes, but while waiting for a rMBP you have to do something, and posting on these boards is the thing to do. Once people have received their machines they disappear as they're having so much fun...
  11. DVD9 macrumors 6502a

Feb 18, 2010
    There are people saying ML does not fix the problem. Every thought on this has been that the hardware can't handle the scaling, which seems to be more like dividing the image in two and then combining them to double the intensity. I haven't found a video of the native resolution scrolling but there are posts in the forum that at the 2880 native resolution there is no lag.

ML is the second try. How many more?
  12. Office Hours macrumors member

Jul 17, 2010
    This has beaten to death.

The rMBP runs fine @ "best for retina". Safari sucks at rendering. Chrome with HW acceleration craps all over it but HW acceleration fails when rendering fixed elements for whatever reason. I can run two flash videos on Engadget and scroll at a buttery smooth frame rate. Dissect that.

The scaled modes run well (1680 perfect, 1920 almost perfect) with the dGPU but choke on the iGPU. No other Macbook can run OSX at a non native resolution without looking like absolute trash, so consider it icing on the cake. The scroll lag in the browser is 100% a software issue that can be solved with proper GPU acceleration. The iPad has no problems rendering any web page with a CPU that can't even beat a old school Intel Atom CPU and a GPU that is only a fraction of the iGPU in Ivy Bridge let alone the dGPU.
  13. Slivortal macrumors 6502

Jun 14, 2012
    Possibly quite a few more. People don't realize how hard it is to write efficient graphics-scaling code. The reason it runs fine at 2880x1800 is because there is minimal software-based scaling. They can literally print out images and text pixel-for-pixel. When you get into these "retinized" resolutions, you're virtually doubling the pixels then halving them. This is extremely hard code to write in an optimal matter, even in parts. Over time it'll get better.
  14. Jiten macrumors 6502a

Jul 16, 2008
    If you are truly satisfied with your rMBP then you don't need any kind of social proof for justification.
  15. TxMacAddict macrumors 6502

Feb 4, 2008
    I have a theory that the rMBP haters really just hate that they can't afford one... or that they want to feel better about their cMBP that is on the way out.
  16. Abhorred, Jul 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2012

Abhorred macrumors member

Jul 15, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    No. Stop. Please please PLEASE stop. There has been entirely too much d*ck-wagging about "if they hate it, they're just poor" happening in the forums, and it's really just a crappy attitude to have - it serves nothing except stroking the egos of those who have rMBPs by implying that they have more money. Being rich (or richer than the guy next to you) doesn't automatically make you right and them wrong, y'know?

Are some of the complaints about the computer unjustified? Sure. Are some of the complaints justified? Absolutely. People are going to have varied opinions about everything. But please don't tie in one's income to whether or not they're capable of expressing valid criticisms.

Edit: To not stray too far from the original subject - I really do like the concept of the rMBP; it's a marvellous piece of engineering, and it has some highly unique features that fit well into my workflow. That said, I'm now on my third replacement machine for screen issues, so hopefully they sort out the quality control as production continues.
  17. DVD9 macrumors 6502a

Feb 18, 2010
    Oh that was you who posted this exact post elsewhere which has F-all to do with the discussion here.

There are at least two videos on YouTube showing side-by-side comparisons between the Retina and the old Pro and the Air. The lag is easy to see.
  18. Mabyboi macrumors 6502

Apr 23, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    You're kidding me right? Over software? No.

ML fixes this issue, it changes the way that certain graphics are handled and dedicates them moreso to the video card rather than the CPU.

There will NOT be a recall. Don't even count on it.
  19. noteple macrumors 65816

Aug 30, 2011
    There is a lot to like about the rMBP.

But its not for everyone.

Its either too much or too little

Expensive, screen performance, OS, ports, memory, upgrades, etc.

If its part of the machine or if its not, there is controversy.

You wont get a peek at the return numbers but a good rule of thumb:
    Measure the happy people by units sold and unhappy by critical posts.
    Each day the former is pulling away from the latter.

And again if its not for you, liberal return period.
    Look at it as a free two week laptop lease.
    Repeat the cycle next product release and eventually one will stick.

I'm not parting with mine until something better comes along.
  20. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Nov 26, 2003
    Fixed that for you.
  21. aviddk macrumors regular

Oct 18, 2007
    SW Oregon
    It's called FUD

What you are seeing here is fear from employees of Apple's competitors. In computer industry terms it is called FUD: fear, uncertainty and doubt. When competitors have been outdone the only option is attempting to make potential purchasers frightened. The more FUD the more game changing, disruptive the product is. Apple is handing one industry after another thier head on a plate. The laptop industry is very fearful that they are next. Hence the Fudsters are at work. Anandtech had never awarded an Apple product an Editor's choice award until he reviewed the Retina MacBook pro. To me that speaks volumes more than all the Macrumors FUDsters combined. FWIW
  22. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Nov 26, 2003
    We'll see tomorrow...

Thanks for the technical overview! :)

23. Death-T macrumors regular

May 18, 2012
    Savannah, Georgia

Attached Files:

24. stevelam macrumors 65816

Nov 4, 2010
    ML does not fix the issue. there is definitely still lag all over the place.
  25. CaCohen0509 macrumors regular

Jan 2, 2010
    I don't think i could own a higher quality computer. I got the same exact model as OP. Everything is absolutely perfect. I've even installed windows onto it without a single hiccup. It runs Minecraft like a champ. The screen is drop dead gorgeous and i haven't looked back since the day i received it after waiting a month to get it. I also notice the scrolling lag but i feel like people are making way to much commotion over it.

*Knock on wood that my computer doesn't spontaneously combust because of how i truly feel about it.