rMBP keyboard key stuck, micro screw underneath!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by unwinded, Jul 20, 2012.

1. unwinded macrumors regular

I've had my rMBP a couple weeks now without problem except for the "B" key giving me a little resistance when pressing it (compared to the others). I pressed on it really hard and then I knew something was wrong because it made a noise when I pressed it. After removing the plastic key, I noticed that a tiny piece of the plastic underneath. I removed it thinking that was the issue only to see an extremely micro screw. The real culprit.

Now the "B" key functions fine. I'm not really worried about the tiny plastic which was probably a result of pressing down on the key really hard which shaved off a little bit of it. I'm worried about this micro screw. It's not a normal screw. I don't knew where it came from. My guess is that during the manufacturing process it found it's way on to the aluminum. If that's the case, I'm fine with that' But there is an older thread for the exact same thing with the MBA. One member even said the keys were fine and later on tough to press, showing the same problem.

I'm worried about this micro screw. Everything else is perfect, but I'm worried about where it came from.

2. katmeef macrumors 6502

Could you please post a picture? Is it screwed into something or just sitting there?

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Then take it in for repair. Not really sure what you're asking here.

4. unwinded thread starter macrumors regular

I'll post a picture of the screw (it is seriously micro, smaller than even the smallest screwdriver) There is nothing to repair, and only a fool would take a new computer in for repair as opposed to replacement.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1202488

^That. I had that. Anybody else?

What I'm asking is if anybody else has had it and if it is normal. Because if the Chinese factory has teeny micro screws floating around and one landed on the keyboard, I don't really care. If it came from some place else I would like to know and I'm wondering if anybody else has had the same problem.

5. TickleMeElmo macrumors regular

You can pry the keys off with a fingernail or a card, my "delete" key squeaked when I first got mine and rather than take it back and perhaps wait for a new one I just pried it off lubed the stabilizer bar and put it back on. Works better than new.

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The OP already took the key off, which is how he found the screw.

7. javanutsy macrumors newbie

How to take key and put back on? Reason I'm asking: I have a new rMBP just received last friday, and this morning noticed the delete key is not popping back up as it should after pressing and sticks. Looking at it from side of keyboard, the delete key seems to be tilted to the front a little compared to rest of keys.

This is my first Mac after 20+ years using PCs...

Thanks! :)

8. unwinded thread starter macrumors regular

With a finger nail or something thicker than a piece of paper but thinner than a credit card (a credit card would probably even work). Just be careful, it's plastic and it snaps off pretty easy. My rMBP has been great ever since, I take it that on the assembly line some stuff is probably blowing around and the quality control missed it. Might be the same case with yours

9. javanutsy macrumors newbie

Not sure if there was anything underneath like yours... I took it into the Genius Bar and they took it to the back room to fix. Said they popped the cap off and reseated it. All good now. Thanks.

10. nikster0029 Contributor

nikster0029

I CAN HELP!
    lol

I had this same issue and took it to the apple store.

first time they took it out because i wanted to show them

second they replaced the keys affect (I had 6 keys that were doing this)

third time they ordered my replacement pro because they weren't able to order the rMBP keyboard itself yet.

11. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Call Apple, arrange a repair/replacement and get this done with. Why post something as trivial as this?

12. unwinded thread starter macrumors regular

My suspicion was that this micro screw landed during assembly and is not part of the assembly. It is much smaller than the screws on the bottom of the unit. So I posted this to see if anybody else had the same thing occur and they did and so did MBA users in a similar MBA thread.

I have found no other screws since. I'm not going to get a repair or replacement for something that doesn't need to be fixed. What you consider trivial is an opinion. This is a public forum. There are far more trivial topics. I must say, for all the blogs and internet forums I have contributed to, I've rarely seen so many rude people.