rMBP Keyboard Protector Yes or No ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by augustya, Jan 25, 2014.

1. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

is it ok to use a keyboard protector on the keyboard of rMBP and close the Lid keeping the Keyboard protector on the actual keyboard. Apple is saying the rMBP is so slim built it hardly has any room, space left between the keyboard and screen when closed. So there is no room for even a piece of paper also, Forget a Hard or a silicone Keyboard Protector. What should I do ? :rolleyes:

I see some of the keyboard protectors are made by some really good branded companies who have acquired a good name in making some quality iOS and MAC accessories. and why would they make and sell something if it is potentially going to damage any of the MAC's But apple says this...

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4384?v...S&locale=en_US

Makes me think has anyone been using a keyboard protector and have had any scratches on the screen because of it while keeping it on and keeping the screen closed on it. Or can we do this, every time you start using the MAC put the Keyboard protector on and when you are done and when you wanna close it again remove it. So like put it on...remove it after finished...sounds a bit of hassle but...that is like managing both the ends... :rolleyes:

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The tolerances are so tight, I'd say that its a good idea to skip the keyboard protector.

3. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

Am worried about the keys getting those shiny finger print marks with some use...

And No I am not babying it :)

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I personally would take a chance on shiny keys over a damaged display, but that's just me but then I never have used keyboard protectors.

5. nightlong macrumors 6502a

nightlong

I use one but take it off when I close the computer, slipping it on top of the closed computer when carrying it in my backpack.

6. philxor macrumors regular

Hmm, I transferred my Rearth protector over to my new MBP when I got it, over from my MBA. It's one of the better ones in that whatever material it's made out of doesn't leave marks on the screen, or maybe it's just thin enough. That Apple article is pretty vague, are there any threads out there documenting damage from a keyboard cover? My MBP seems to shut fine with it.

It's not like the Moshi, the Moshi was terrible with leaving marks on the screen.

7. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

Yep !! that is what even I am planning to do...

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm personally less concerned about the marks it may leave and more about possible damage to the screen, the rMBP has less protection. When you use the Rearth protector, do you see if there's any clearance between the lid and the keyboard?

9. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

Moshi is too good a brand in making quality apple accessories to be making such flimsy stuff to abrade the screen !!

10. IGregory macrumors 6502a

IGregory

I've been using the Moshi keyboard cover for about 10 months (opening/closing frequently). The Moshi cover does leave an imprint but my experience has been the cover does not scratch.

11. ldburroughs macrumors 6502

There is only so much you can do. For me, any keyboard cover significantly slows my typing speed and accuracy. Nothing beats a bear keyboard when it comes to typing. I used one for the first few months and the keyboard was absolutely pristine. My typing experience was another story. Now, months later without the keyboard cover, I see basic wear (gloss in certain spots) and I've learned to accept it. I use a radtech keyboard cloth and leave it between the keys and screen when the lid is closed, but that's about it. I wipe it down on occasion, avoid eating anywhere near my rMBP, and do not type with unclean hands. Yes, I'm on the extreme end of the spectrum, but I simply won't sacrifice functionality in exchange for perfectly preserved keys. My other thought is, while I was using one for a brief period of time, I noticed it would trap a little heat. Not enough that I'd worry about any damage being caused, but I did feel it nonetheless. I feel nothing at all without it. I'd say it's simply not worth it.

So, long answer shortened, no.

12. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

Leaves imprint where ? On the screen ?

13. philxor, Jan 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2014

philxor macrumors regular

There is a tiny bit of clearance. Like I said with the Moshi it would always leave key dust imprints on the screen, the Rearth doesn't do that so either it's thinner or dust doesn't adhere to it. I always wipe off the keyboard cover before I shut the lid so any debris either goes away or falls in between the keys...

EDIT: The Rearth cover is actually thin enough it doesn't seem to touch the screen at all. I was able to slip a piece of paper all the way through with the lid shut. It also doesn't get discolored/cloudy like the Moshi either, it's really a much better product IMHO.

14. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

I am absolutely with you on this, I also don't use the rMBP at all with dirty hands forget typing...I don't even wander near lol ! Absolute not eat anything while using it etc...So I completely believe in what you are saying...But people call it babying your rMBP ! That is insane !!

15. philxor macrumors regular

I think my fingers are just naturally oily. I know I can clean the keys but it's a pain. I wish Apple was a little more descriptive in what they consider "damage." Does having the surface against the screen cause damage, is it from careless debris trapped in between?

16. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

I consider those shiny key caps something like battle scars - evidence that I have "been there - done that…" - and used my MacBook for actual work.

If I get to do extra typing, I tend to use a screen protector to prevent the transfer of finger oils from the key caps to the screen - same item that I have used since my first really slim Mac, the titanium PBook G4 - a plain sheet of copy paper on the keyboard. Works a treat! Even the thinnest rMBP has space for that!

17. IGregory macrumors 6502a

IGregory

Sorry, yes on the screen. Occasionally, I clean the screen and there are no scratches.

18. MaulRx Suspended

Those "shiny" keys are unavoidable. I wash my hands religiously as well as use hand sanitizer and just five days into a new MacBook and they are already showing some where.

I just ignore it, I don't keep any computer more that year or so any way so let it be the next guys issue.

19. disasterdrone macrumors 6502

It just doesn't feel as good with protection on.

20. vmflapem macrumors 6502

I use a palm guard, a screen protector, a full body protector, and a moshi keyboard protector on my 13" retina.
    There doesn't seem to be any problem with using all those.
    If problem does arise, well, I'll take it in before Apple Care expires

21. disasterdrone macrumors 6502

Do you wear body armor?

22. MaulRx Suspended

Made me chuckle.

23. vmflapem macrumors 6502

LOL.

Oh and i forgot to say, I also have a hard cover on
    Man I think I have OCD

24. DiCaprioAngel macrumors 6502

I have a silicone keyboard protector on my rMBP and I have no problems with it whatsoever. Doesn't touch the screen, either. I say it's safe to use one :)

25. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

So this imprints that you talk about which appear on the screen do they look permanent or do they go away with some gentle wiping with a cloth ?