rMBP left fan running slightly faster than right?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by KitzelFox, Jul 9, 2012.

1. KitzelFox macrumors newbie

I have noticed that by monitoring iStat, the left fan of my base model rMBP typically runs at 150-200 rpms more than the right fan. I was wondering if this was an issue or potential issue. So far I don't think I have had any problems cooling the machine, but I really don't know if this is normal or not. I have noticed it in all situations, on and off the battery, on my lap and on my desk. It doesn't really seem to matter what the situation is, it does it when it's cool and it does it when it's hot.

Thank you everyone and I apologize if this is just a silly question. :rolleyes:

2. fizzwinkus macrumors 6502a

I don't know, but my guess is that the gpu sits close to the left side of the heat sink while the CPU is centered. The temps on that left fan will be higher than on the right fan and it will need to spin faster.

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

If it bothers you, just set both fans to the same speed using SMCfancontrol.

However, the left fan might spin faster due to GPU cooling as well.

4. trsblader macrumors 6502

5. cjw2222 macrumors newbie

I noticed this too. I inquired and it is completely normal, has to do with the layout of cpu and gpu

6. doh123 macrumors 65816

a couple hundred RPMs probably doesn't matter.

I suspect they did this for the same reason they have the asymmetrical blades... so each fan is making a wide range of noise at a slightly different frequency, making it less annoyingly noticeable to the ear.

7. korbearus10 macrumors member

Completely normal. Mine does that. 2000RPM/2150RPM.