rMBP (Mid 2014) HONEST review - video

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AnonDP, Aug 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnonDP, Aug 26, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2014

AnonDP macrumors member

DISCLAIMER: DO NOT WATCH IF YOU CANNOT HANDLE RMBP CRITICISM

I recently picked up a Macbook pro retina (Mid 2014 version) and it is the 15" base model. This is my HONEST review and merely my opinion and first impressions of handling the machine.

I am aware people may be upset by such a review but please understand this is merely my point of view. I hate fish, others may love fish, we are all different. I personally see it as refreshing that for once someone has the courage to speak up when they feel it's right to. Many people seek advice on whether or not to make a new MacBook Pro purchase; this is a view from the otherside, an unbiased view.

WARNING: My emotions were running high, so some explicit language may be featured. NSFW without headphones and not safe or under 18's.

PROS - Looks pretty, good internals
    CONS - Extremely heavy, big and lumpy, accessories feel cheap, feels quite cheap despite the scale-tipping weight. Nasty bits and bobs that comes with the machine.

2. Nr123*123 macrumors 6502

3. AnonDP thread starter macrumors member

As expected. Dare anyone have their own opinion. I went into this purchase going off the back of the info put on this forum. NOONE even touched on how heavy the machine was...excuse my language and I was actually shocked unboxing this bit of kit :confused:

4. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

Thank you for the rant :eek:

Those that make reviews, and state how heavy the 15 inch is and your take on cheap cables, should have known this at the Apple store or other retailer prior to a purchase....Your fault for not lifting one up.

Manual complaint ? Manuals can be downloaded from the Apple site that cover everything that the customer needs, and most all manufactures have cheap looking manuals if any in the box, so I'm fuzzy about your useless complaint on that one.

Very bad post that is useless, but thanks for it anyway

5. Nr123*123 macrumors 6502

He is looking for little more than confrontation to confirm his bias, which was present even before he bought the laptop.

6. Cibike macrumors member

Cibike

wtf? heavy? cheap looking adapter? ...maybe if you come from the future, but right now you hardly find laptop with better overall aesthetics ...well then what is laptop of your choice?

7. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Assuming you're not trolling.... what you're basically saying is that you don't know how read dimensions and weight specifications?

I'd suggest a tape measure and some scales next time you buy a laptop. The entire idea of standardised weights and measures is that they're identical across the planet.

8. chibamac macrumors 6502

chibamac

200lbs 6 foot 2 eh? Try picking it up with 2 hands..
    No, it's not a light machine but you should have known that before making the purchase. Months ago I went to the apple store when I was considering upgrading from my 13" MBA (definitely a one hander) Not only did I pick up the machine, I also got them to let me use an un tethered MBP 15 to see how comfortable it was to schlep around the store and use on my lap / lying down. Sounds like this machine isn't right for your needs. Get refunded and try the MBA..

Chiba

9. AnonDP thread starter macrumors member

If only it was that simple. You cannot judge how a laptop feels to pick up merely by the weight specification. The footprint, the weight distribution and centre of gravity can change how something feels to handle.

Yes, I should have played around more with one in the store but I was dead certain this laptop would be ideal for me.

It baffles me everytime I read now when someone says they can simply pick up and chuck the 15' into a bag.

10. Merode macrumors 6502

Merode

Want to exchange for 13.3"? I'll cover the shipping. ;)

11. AnonDP thread starter macrumors member

I originally wanted the 13' but the screen real-estate is too small for me. I wanted a portable laptop with a large screen....

12. taelan28 macrumors regular

HAHAHA Well I'll congratulate you on making a review. You did something productive today; I didn't.

I heard your British Isles accent within the first 2 words and I knew what kind of review this would be.

13. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I didn't bother to watch the video as I love my 15" rMBP
    Just wanted to point out there is no unbiased view here... you have your view, others have theirs
    To claim yours is unbiased and theirs is biased is misleading and inaccurate

14. grame macrumors member

Hilarious. Love the privileged posh Tory-boy voice. But not the sharpest tool in the box.

15. AnonDP thread starter macrumors member

I also should mention something....and I don't mean this to be a dig in the ribs..but I tried editing this video on the MacBook and the fans were going crazy (And I don't mean the cheering type of fans, more like screaming (I wish I was joking btw)). It got really hot up the top of the keyboard and the bottom of the screen.
    Ended up ditching the fancy edits and just uploaded direct to Youtube.

A 3 min video importing into iMovie @ 720P , I thought an i7 , 16GB RAM would handle a task.

I AM NOT criticising the internals as I think they are actually pretty good, as mentioned in the video.

I have more niggles e.g. the edges/corners of the lift-lid cove being really sharp but I don't want to turn this into a bashing thread because it realy isnt.

16. fanchee macrumors 6502a

fanchee

I just purchased the base 15" rMBP to replace my 2012 11" MBA. I agonized at several stores, lifting the laptops simultaneously, putting my 11" side by side and on top of the 15", etc. I took mine with me to compare the speed gains and all other aspects before making my decision to buy. I am thrilled with this machine. I only watched the first 2 minutes of your review, so I may have missed the part where you talk about how amazing the screen is.

My point is you do sacrifice portability with this machine, but one really has to know that prior to purchase, yes? And then one must decide what to buy based on their own needs. My needs are less portability and more power right now, so I chose accordingly.

Everyone has an opinion, and yours is valid. So is mine. And theirs. Go get something else that better suits you.

17. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

So let me get this right. A 2.02Kg 15" rMBP is much heavier than 2.02Kg. So much so that you stuggle to pick it up? :eek:

I can simply pick up my 15" rMBP and chuck it in a bag. It seems lighter than the the 2011 that preceded it, the 2008 13" before that and the 2006 15" MBP before that. This is unsurprising to me as it weighs less.

The centre of gravity is spot on. It's balanced perfectly and the unibody Macs have been the only laptops I've encountered that you can open single handed without holding the unit down. Not even most ThinkPads are that well engineered.

Back in days of yore I carried a 3.3Kg+ Toshiba laptop around that was a couple of inches thick. I never stuggled with it. If you can't cope with lifting a 2Kg laptop, I suggest you seek medical help.

You're suffering from buyers remorse. That's your problem, not the laptop's.

18. rMBPUser03 macrumors newbie

Thanks for taking time to create a review video. However, lots of your disappointment could have been avoided by just walking into an Apple store and just having a look the device. I carry my 15 inch rMBP with me every day in the backpack and do not having any kind of issues with size or weight. For a 15 inch notebook measures are quite small and 2kg is defintely not a big deal. I would recommend you to send the book back to Apple and asking for a refund if possible.

19. iKrivetko macrumors 6502a

>lifts a 15" laptop with 3 fingers
    >calls it heavy

20. slenpree macrumors 6502a

slenpree

the guy's a troll; the laptop is 2kg which is light for a 15" laptop. If the poster really thought that was a cheap and nasty plastic laptop, the he shouldn't go near HP and Dell laptops as he might have a heart attack!

21. Meister Suspended

Meister

I was just tricked into watching 3min of this.

What a terrible "review"! I sincerely hope this is meant as a parody.

----------

You are also joking, right?

----------

No he didn't.

22. BNHabs macrumors regular

This is the single most stupid review I have ever watched. I'm not bias to Apple, in-fact, I have more non-Apple products then Apple.

Everything you said is incorrect. You're an idiot.

This laptop is the lightest and best built in it's class. Your power adapter comment was ridiculous, it's the best on the market.

23. millerj123 macrumors 6502a

I skipped through it, and still feel cheated. HONESTLY.

I'd say something about large, green, under-bridge dwellers, but I'll refrain.

24. SarcasticJoe macrumors 6502a

SarcasticJoe

I'd suppose you could say that the review itself and the reviewer's voice go together pretty well... The review is downright retarded and the reviewer sounds just like the peasant from Warcraft 3 (i.e not exactly like an oxford professor).

For a 15" machine the Pro is actually quite light, so if you think that's too heavy you probably should have gone with something smaller. Actually if it's too heavy, you might want to lay of the chips and start exercising as you're pretty badly out of shape.

25. Merode macrumors 6502

Merode

Just makes you wonder, how rich does one have to be to buy a 2000$+ notebook without doing any research?

You're complaining about power adapter, aluminium edges being sharp, weight etc. stuff that's really not the most important. And you give it a rating of 4/10 not even opening the lid. :D

Mere mortals like me check if they like what they're buying before handing credit card to cashier.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.