rMBP question - sim city

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ImAliveUK, Aug 31, 2013.

1. ImAliveUK macrumors member

ImAliveUK

All I would like to know is can the 13inch retina play the new sim city smoothly?

It's a minor deciding factor in purchasing a 13 or 15.

Thank you!

2. NickPhamUK macrumors 6502

NickPhamUK

Low setting, yes.

Higher than that, no. You'll need GT 650M on the rMBP 15" to play it smoothly. If you plan to play heavy games like that at high settings then consider the 15".

3. ImAliveUK thread starter macrumors member

ImAliveUK

Lovely - thanks so much for the response. :) much appreciated and very helpful :)

4. Serban Suspended

maybe if you wait for the rMBP 13" with HD5100 sure you will can play on medium+high

5. ImAliveUK thread starter macrumors member

ImAliveUK

Yeah I'm gonna wait anyway and see how they are upgraded. It's so frustrating deciding what model to go for. The screen estate is better on the air compared to the 13 rMBP but the power of the 15 inch is more appealing.

So I decided that asking specific questions may help. It is. :)

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

It will at low settings. Want a better performance? Get the 15"

7. Stetrain macrumors 68040

You can increase the screen real estate on the 13" rMBP in the display settings with the "Looks like 1440x900" and "Looks like 1680x1050" HiDPI modes.

You might also want to look at a refurbished 15" rMBP, they are a pretty good value:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/F...-23ghz-quad-core-intel-i7-with-retina-display

8. MathBunny123 macrumors regular

Keep in mind that I believe the maximum supported resolution of SimCity is much less than the display of the MacBook Pro Retina anyways.

9. NickPhamUK macrumors 6502

NickPhamUK

No, please don't provide false info.

Based on early benchmark of HD 5100, it's a class 3 graphic card. A little weaker than AMD HD 8670D. And that card runs Sim City at medium settings at 23 fps (pretty low). Given that Sim City for Mac is not as optimised as it is on Windows, I say you'll get 15 fps at max. At medium settings. So no, get 15" please for higher than medium settings.

10. Vanilla35 macrumors 68030

Vanilla35

Yeah the current 13" rMBP would be struggling on low-med, and the 5100 would be solid on low maybe low-med (turning off many settings on med). You'd only enjoy the experience on low though