Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

philosopherdog

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2008
I had this same issue. A freakin hole in the display along with stuck pixels which looked like a pin sized bright spot. Clearly these screens are defective. Mine was 10 days out of warranty, but they replaced it without a hassle. I'm reading reports that replacement screens can do the same thing. So I'm holding my breath until I can sell this thing and move on to the updated one when it gets released. I had terrible problems with the Air screens as well with these white spots. After the second screen replacement I sold the thing. Apple is not immune from the shoddy Chinese manufacturing that's mired PC laptops in ridiculously unacceptable quality. In many cases it's the same components that make PC laptops such junk.

pawel.pozlewicz

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2016
Hey Guys I have the same problem but apple refuses to exchange my screen on the therms of Warranty. What should I do? I was in Apple Store two times already and each time I was turned down by the store manager. Some advice?

I wrote an e-Mail to the Store address and I also sent it through the Apple feedback formular:
"
Dear Madam / Sir,

i visited the Apple Store in Berlin twice in last two weeks. I am really disappointed with the level of customer service. The staff at the store is impolite and I always have to wait between 15-30 minutes past my appointment time. I have a Problem with my MBP retina mid 2014 model. There are some strange small holes in the coating on the screen. I use my computer with great care and only indoors, so logically it should serve me for some years...

I tried to discuss this topic today (23.01.2016 at 15.30) with the "Genius" (Norman -> disagreed to give me his full name) and the store manager (Karina -> also disagreed to give me her full name).

I started my visit talking to Genius and trying to explain my problem. I started of explaining my problem and he told me that in this case it is indeed physical damage. So I asked him some basic questions like:

- Is using your laptop at home Accidental Damage? -> no answer came

- Is closing the lid an Accidental Damage? -> no answer as well

- Is having some dust on your laptop an Accidental Damage -> no answer and he told me as well that he doesn't have to answer this questions...

Obviously millions of people use their laptops everyday and all of them have some dust at their homes, in the air, and on their keyboards. It all shouldn't lead to any damage but the staff at the store claims that thats what happened in my case. They said that i had some dust on my keyboard and closed the lid. Yes it could have happened but it is perfectly normal and shouldn't lead to any kind of damage.

Please tell me know how you see this in this case.

I also brought some forum post printed out because more people have the same kind of problems and they got their screens replaced.

At this moment Store Manager Karina was already there and the Genius told me in her presence that he won't read any of this stuff, because it is not what they do.

I asked for some kind of documentation of my visit or just to consider my case but the Manager refused.

I don't agree with the point of view of the Genius and the Manager which is totally out of place in this case. They both didn't want to help me but to get rid of me as soon as possible.

I am really disappointed with the level of customer service in Apple Store. If I don't agree with the manager than there is nothing I can do to solve the problem.

Please address my problems in Your Answer.

Regards

Pawel Pozlewicz"

I am really mad and disappointed with the customer support at Apple Stores...

J3ffry

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2012
I had EXACTLY the same problem. Genius was very professional, knew a lot and even was more OCD than me. A really good experience. Acknowledged the problem and screen was replaced. This was in Amsterdam.

Attachments

• rMBP.jpg
    rMBP.jpg
    772.8 KB · Views: 222

pawel.pozlewicz

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2016
Thanks for your reply. Good to know. I will try to make one more appointment in Apple Store in Berlin. This is really helpful!

pawel.pozlewicz

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2016
Not yet. I am trying to make an appointment with the Genius Bar for the third time (In Germany it isn't easy). But they answered my eMail and wan't to call me and discuss the case. We will see...

Islayy

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2016
Not yet. I am trying to make an appointment with the Genius Bar for the third time (In Germany it isn't easy). But they answered my eMail and wan't to call me and discuss the case. We will see...
I'm taking mine in Thursday for its 3rd display with pits...

SamuelShand

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2015
mine is an early 2015 15" rmbp.

A month ago the same thing happened to me.

Felt like a grain of sand or something was stuck to the screen, carefully wiped it off and it seems that some of the pixels have exploded. Exactly how others have described here.

sigh.

will take to the store over the next few weeks and see what they say and let you know.

Frustrating that this is still happening with the most recent models...

pawel.pozlewicz

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2016
Ofcourse nothing happened. Apple didn't call me back (they said, that they will call me...). Did You guys get Your screens replaced? I didn't know that Customer support in Apple sucks so hard... I called Apple support and filed a complaint. But I think, that it won't help...

pawel.pozlewicz

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2016
Hey Guys.

I got my screen replaced. I just went to another Apple Store. They replace the screens with such problems just one time on warranty as an exeption.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.