RMBP SMC (PowerNap) Update - Resolve Lag?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by qbattersby, Jul 27, 2012.

1. qbattersby macrumors newbie

I just ran the SMC update, and it seems to have made all the lag disappear in scrolling. It wasn't that terrible for me before but certainly noticeable in switching desktops, and swiping over to dashboard.

Anyone else experiencing this or am I just going crazy? Could this update even facilitate such a fix?

2. golf1410 macrumors 6502a

golf1410

What version of SMC? Where can I download it?

3. jterp7 macrumors 6502a

maybe i never noticed before but it seems scrolling in only safari is faster. Chrome is still the same and FB is still stuttery (boohoo no 60fps):p

There also seems to be less lag in 1680 scaled also (fb excluded)

4. qbattersby thread starter macrumors newbie

Run software update if you haven't today, it came out just earlier today.

----------

Scrolling The Verge is what really set me off on it.... than swiping around seems quicker.. would be curious to hear if others are experiencing this?

5. dsciel macrumors regular

SMC update just adds Power Nap to ML.. doesnt solve anything else i think...

scrolling is not a concern for me. but mission control is.. try to open several apps, then use mission control (4 finger swipe up)

p.s. i have base model

6. qbattersby thread starter macrumors newbie

Technically, the release notes do more than just add Power Nap (it says fixes for sleep/wake), you should check your details before posting, I wasn't going by the seat of my pants. But who knows what else they baked in, they would be acknowledging lag if they noted it in release notes.

See here for release notes: http://9to5mac.com/2012/07/27/apple-brings-powernap-to-retina-macbook-pro-with-firmware-update/

7. DaffyDuck macrumors 6502

I don't see any difference. Still see lag with integrated graphics at 1920x1200.

8. DVD9 macrumors 6502a

That's why I worry about Apple fixing the lag because they refuse to acknowledge the lag as a problem. To me that says Apple is just winging it.

9. qbattersby thread starter macrumors newbie

Fair enough.

10. katmeef macrumors 6502

Thats just the way they are sometimes.. My 09 MacBook pro had beachball issues for months, I don't think apple ever publically acknowledged the issue but eventually it stopped, I assume a fix was silently baked into another update. Even family guy made a reference to it at the time http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyA6UXi0v6g

11. striker33 macrumors 65816

striker33

Considering its actually a lot higher than 1920x1200 then its no real surprise that integrated graphics cause stuttering.

Apple arent saying its a problem because of the simple fact that its not. The only people who are complaining are the ones who essentially only bought the machine to be a shiny new facebook toy to show off to their friends. If their toy doesn't scroll facebook smoothly, suddenly it doesnt look so shiny, so they cry.

12. dsciel macrumors regular

"only people who are complaining are the ones who essentially only bought the machine to be a shiny new facebook toy to show off to their friends"

This is a performance bug and should have fix before Mountain Lion is released because it is already existed in Lion.

It might be the integrated graphics but it really distracts and create discomfort while performing mission control or space switching

13. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

Chrome wasn't updated yet for the rMBP as far as I know? That's on Google but I think they have chromium or nightly build of chrome to address the issue?

14. Soccer5se macrumors member

After updating to Mountain Lion Chrome Canary flashes a lot. Everything else runs better but I though Canary was ready for the rMBP and Mountain Lion?

15. Tubamajuba macrumors 68000

Waaaaaaaay overgeneralized statement... I doubt people are specifically irritated about Facebook lagging. On principle, I don't feel like any web page should lag on a top of the line machine- especially when 2 year old mid-range Windows PCs don't have the same problem. I fully understand that the rMBP is pushing the technical limits of today's hardware, but it's still a valid point to be made when comparing it to the non-retina MBPs.

Still though- it's a trade-off. For many people, the sleekness of the machine and utter beauty of the retina display far outweighs any minor performance issues. Others demand smooth performance with no compromises, and the current gen rMBP might not be for them. There is no "right" or "wrong" here, just personal opinions.

16. inlinevolvo macrumors 6502

I upgraded to ML today and performed the firmware update. Combined with switching my folders from stacked view to folder view I find the whole experience very smooth. Mission control and dashboard open with good fluid motion. Even the notifications bar feels good. Facebook lag on safari is still there, but improved over lion. Im running at the 1680 by 1050 scaled res. on the base rmbp.

17. terraphantm macrumors 68040

My dock seems to do the zoom animation a bit more smoothly than earlier today. But otherwise everthing is about the same IMO (but I perceived very little lag at all ever since upgrading to ML)

18. KingArthurVI macrumors regular

KingArthurVI

Did you guys perform a clean install or did you upgrade ML over your existing Lion?

19. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Initially I upgraded over Lion - but I really screwed some things up as I was trying to get NTFS write suppport... so I just did a clean install. Both experiences were about the same.

My Lion install was barely used though. I upgraded to ML ASAP.

20. stevelam macrumors 65816

sorry but people are getting really desperate and clueless if they think a firmware update would affect software-os specific scrolling/ui animations.

21. Thors.Hammer macrumors member

Upgrade. I am pleased with what I am seeing so far but the weekend is still young.

22. Abbas macrumors member

Yes- I've noticed that there has been considerable improvements with scrolling in Safari. Thats where I used to notice it most and it certainly feels a lot more snappy now.

The other area where I found the lag to be annoying was waking up from sleep and typing my password only to realize that nothing was being type. It took a few seconds for the keyboard to "wake up" and after that, it would accept any key strokes. Haven't tested that to see if it's fixed because that only happened if the MBP went into deep sleep.

23. TLewis macrumors 65816

Uh, no.

Chrome Canary is the absolute bleeding-edge one-day-it-works, the-next-day-it's-borked release. It's a daily development build for developers -- yes, it really does change daily. It's not even guaranteed to run. Generally, users want to stay away from it unless they're masochists who like intermittently wildly malfunctioning browsers. See the chrome release page for details.

24. stevebakh macrumors newbie

Nope, still pretty disappointing UI performance for me. This thing really shouldn't be slower than the last generation of MBPs.

I still get jittery animations when enlarging/restoring windows, scrolling still feels the same as it did on Lion (laggy and jittery), but opening/closing launchpad seems a little smoother.

UI animation lagging isn't the worst thing in the world, but the browser lag is awful. It really feels horrible not to have the smooth scrolling I'm used to with my work cMBP.

25. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Are you using Safari? Mine seems to scroll about as smoothly as my work iMac...